Legendary Gear Thought Experiment

Assume we take out or nerf Bola’s and let’s say the top 6-12 most-hated legendary items.

What effect would removing 0-cost shard generators from the game have on how you feel about the balance and trade-offs of legendary gear? What about complete removal of shard generators?

Just curious…my feeling is we aren’t really far from relative balance, because very few people run 2 or 3 legendary items already…but I hear a lot of people disagree and wonder what people think about this ‘reverse engineered’ solution.

2 Likes

I think things like that remove a level of strategy from the game, economical warfare is after all a thing, I think people are too focused on direct warfare to see other possibilities, however bola’s needs to be toned down, I’m not contending that

Removing 0-cost shard generators would not make Bolas balanced.

1 Like

Nerf Bolas
Nerf Symbiotic Gauntlet
Nerf Firmware Update ISIC
Buff Shadoculars
Buff Faction Legendaries
Buff (most) Lore Legendaries
Nerf Comeback King
Buff Shard Generators

I would hate a game where there is no 0 shard generators. Not only do you have to leave lane to hunt for shards OR run free gear BUT you will have to fight for the shards with your pals along with the enemy team. No bueno.

Nerf Borrowed Timer
Buff 99% of -Recoil Legendary gear
Buff 100% of -CC Duration Legendary gear

you know whut? I DON"T CARE ANYMORE!!!

1 Like

In a world where legendary gear is balanced, you wouldn’t need to pull shard generators.

2 Likes

I actually like where symbiotic guantlet is. The only thing particularly strong about it is that it combines AD and health, which are the two strongest stats. Having a fairly-statted third buff that is variable and has counterplay seems fair to me. A massive universal buff that your teammates can take advantage of is not.

1 Like

This is what I think, but…people disagree.

As a devil’s advocate I would point out that flawed white generators are the most used gear item in the game… but of course there’s more to the story than that.

1 Like

Symbiotic is not fair when you have things like The “Bloody-Mess” Burst Kit and Vow of Vengeance, which are far inferior legendaries with more or less the same kind of legendary effect. When you compare SG to the other Attack Damage legendary gear, you can see the discrepancy. The only other AD gear that is not overshadowed by the SG is the Pacifier since it has niche uses.

In short;
Symbiotic Gauntlet, Vow of Vengeance, and “Bloody-Mess” are basically the same item but the SG is by far the superior item no contest.

I attribute that to be more due to the others being weak. Symbiotic Guantlet has what I would expect from the cost of a piece of legendary gear.

3 Likes

I agree. If symbiotic gauntlet seems a bit to good is thx to second stat; max hp gear being to good.

Legendary gear should be balanced based on how dificult is to activate its 3rd stat.

1 Like

I won’t let you. You shall not touch my most prized possession. :sob:

1 Like

It it really considered OP/overtuned, never really felt a WTF moment from it

1 Like

Overhyped. It can help produce the most single target single skill damage in the game. Unfortunately that skill is burst dash.

3 Likes

the role of the builder is a moba staple that, in this game, relies on shards. Taking away shard gens or nerfing them in any way undermines an important part of the game. They already nerfed the role when they nerfed xp from buildables, and perhaps rightfully so. I’m telling you guys, if you just get a group of coordinated, like minded friends together and learn to play the game without legendary gear, you will appreciate your own skill and your character way more

1 Like

That is a good point. What about removing the free shard gens and raising the XP given from buildables?

It might make shards feel more valuable again.

1 Like

I think what would be really interesting would be to drastically reduce shards themselves. Shard gens alone would only produce 2.1 per second, so in a full game we are talking around 4k. Granted that is 2 legendaries, but that is in a full game. Imagine not being able to even get one of them up until almost half way through the game?

Then couple that with the increased xp from buildables returning, and then you would have some serious decisions that people would have to make. As it stands, there simply is no downside to legendary gear. The cost is negligible. One player may activate his a few minutes earlier, but that is typically early game before ults even are out. So 9% (max skill dmg on anything but legendary) of not that much (what your skills do early game), is still not much. 9% is only strong when it is coupled with later helix choices that further increase your damage and it becomes multiplicative of a much larger number.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. CBK is nowhere near as strong as what Bola’s is right now. 140 damage is not much at all. Nor is the Comeback King necessary, there are plenty of other epic gear options that produce similar results on Burst Dash. The only thing you’d be missing out on is the AoE effect it produces when your shield depletes and even then, the radius isn’t very wide. So why nerf it?

1 Like

I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s overhyped. Most other Deandes that I see run with Ground Zero or don’t pick Calculated Risk, so they have no reason to use the CBK at all. I’m not going to deny it though, it’s the only legendary I use, (other than the odd VoV), because being able to deal around 800 damage with a single Burst Dash is fun. :wink:

@fredsavage it’s 4.9 a second max possible for generating shards, remember wrenches and shields can have secondary shard gen effects

i no longer use shard gens or legos, so it wouldnt affect me. make others lives harder though…