Legendary Tournament idea?

Ive been contemplating an idea that would hopefully give people easier access to tournaments but could allow the use of Legendary gear. The tournament would last a month. At any point during the month two teams get together for their match and tally their points until the next bracket is complete. The 4 teams with the highest scores play on a set day at the end of the month.

It could be similar to “The Hunt” we all just have to come up with a fair point system. The point system should be directed at encouraging the most offensive play styles and anything fun to watch. “Badass Points” if you will.

I understand that legendaries are banned in tournaments and that it’s not a good idea to run 3 legendaries in PvP but what if tournament rules were different?
These rules could make the matches exciting for viewers or extra boring maybe idk. What do you guys think?

Rules/scoring

1. Win a match = +10 points
  2. Every player activates all three legendaries = +5 points
  3. If non legendaries are used = minus 9 points
  4. Multi kill Taunt = .05 point per kill (2 points for double kill taunt, 3 for triple kill taunt etc)
  5. Die while taunting = minus 2 points
  6. Win in ten minutes (incursion) = + 1 point
  7. Win by 375 points (meltdown) = + 1 point
  8. Healer of the game = 2 points
  9. etc.

Do you have any point or rule suggestions? Hate the idea of legendaries being used in PvP and have an alternate suggestion?

3 Likes

I very much like the idea of having little bonus points for stuff other than just win or lose. Unfortunately, this would likely require at least one, more likely two, people to spectate and record the bonus points etc. which could be very complicated to organize.

Great idea though!

5 Likes

Yeah that is a good point. I was imaging an excited shoutcaster as a sort of ref with another score keeper to keep track.
Kind of like how wrestling matches are scored.

2 Likes

It could work, but again - as the tournaments around here are largely unofficial stuff, it could be difficult to organize.

2 Likes

even in incursion you can have multiple fights going on at once, making it hard to score :stuck_out_tongue: unless everyone recorded their matches and posted them, which as i tried in a pve tournament was too much work for most :frowning:

we would need gbx to hopefully implement something in game. even a plain leaderboard would be awesome, with daily, weekly, monthly, and all time highs in pve and pvp. thatd go a pretty far in developing friendships too- someone who you never play with because of time zones and such may consistantly be at or near the top and you can reach out to them asking how they do it. thats what kept me logging on a game back in 2006-7. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True true, it’d be difficult to score. I was just thinking about from a viewers perspective. Forcing OP gear sets and adding more insensitive for dramatic situations could be fun to watch. Like a shot clock in basketball or penalizing a boxer for clinching too much.

That would be cool! I’ve never really thought about a leaderboard for PvP but there really are so many stats that would be fun to see. I’m sure people have some impressive numbers.

I can tell you right now the “hardcore” will stay miles away from this solely because of Legendary gear. I’ve tried to make the argument before and had thought of a bunch of really good solid ways to make them viable but no dice.:unamused:
Something that might work
How about a point deduction for every legendary used on a win.
It would heavily incentivize non legendary use for solid highly competitive teams who wouldn’t need them anyway
But at the same serve as a good handicap for a team that anticipates being outclassed and would balance the point spread with a smaller reward

2 Likes

Yeah I feel you.

Hey that’s a cool idea. Sounds like a nice way to level the playing field.

1 Like

Depending on what data gets exposed via the APIs, this sort of bonus point stat tracking could possibly be automated. I’m just speculating here though, but throwing up ideas for potential uses for APIs can’t hurt. :wink:

It is probably still a bit of a wait too since I don’t imagine API development will take priority over bigger milestones such as getting new stuff out for you guys to play with and drawing in more players :wink:

2 Likes

I like the idea though my only thing about this is to obtain legendary gear you must grind PVE. The way I look competitive play is if something is obtained via campaign, story, etc then it’s not allowed in view of the fact that PVP has nothing to do with the story, well it shouldn’t have anything to do with it when speaking on competitive terms. But that’s the only thing I would say about this. I really like the idea. If one was to take this route though without legendary gear then I’m sure some sort of point system may be used depending on the rarity of the other gear. I would implement negative points for using any common gear that’s for sure. Maybe like -2 points? Perhaps -3 points for any common gear that costs 0 shards.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from as most of the competitive crowd doesn’t want legendaries in tournaments but I have a few points against that.
- Grinding PvE is similar to working out in real life sports. I see PvP and PvE as one game in the same.
- using only legendaries could bring into play the Legendary shard gens that share between teammates / steal from the other team.
- shard economy - forcing everyone to decided between getting those extra points through activating 15 legendaries or winning the match by keeping buildables up could be a fun change of pace.

This could really shake stuff up. The current shard economy/meta is kinda stale imo and this could encourage other play styles. Nice.

2 Likes

As I read “Grinding PvE is similar to working out” WOW I CANNOT THINK OF A COUNTER TO THAT (: Nice, I’m with you bro though as long as it’s not part of official competitive matches. I like where you’re going with this, this sounds like it could be a fun idea.

3 Likes

I believe it would be best to where other gear is allowed rather than ONLY legendary gear. Of course if a legendary gear is activated then such player is awarded like 10+ point where as epic&rares award like 5+/2+ points, common is 2- or 3- depending on the cost of activation. A shard generator should be 2- as well imo. idk, we need more input from others in the community.

1 Like

I like those ideas too! But yeah it’d be cool to have a community made rule/scoring set.

1 Like