I won’t make this claim without providing some analysis.
- On a smaller scale, she’ll have the second highest base health of any Sniper character.
- Marquis: 896 HP + 300 Shields
- Thorn: 1130 HP
- Toby: 1330 HP + 300 Shields
- Beatrix: 1310HP + 300 Shields
Considering she’s supposed to be a ranged character, that’s pretty kinda significant. I referred to this one as a smaller issue because it requires getting a hands on feel for her, as she’s supposed to be pretty slow; based off of comments made during the Beatrix Stream.
- Her Infection passive (3 seconds of Wound unscoped, 5 seconds Unscoped) is likely going to shut down healers (specifically Miko and Alani) significantly. While Wound in and of itself isn’t an issue, it’s the lengthy duration of Infection, and the ability to proc it with every shot, that makes it so overpowered. This will also impact the performance of tank characters with large hitboxes (like Kelvin or Montana), as they’ll essentially be at the mercy of her Infection wounds every time they step out into the field. This issue is compounded by the fact that she gets an augment later on in her helix that gives her an additional 6 shots to her syringe.
There are other characters who do indeed have Wound, but there are some differentiation’s that need to be made:
Characters that are able to apply the Wound at range either have a small duration on their Wound, have the Wound effect tied to a skill that will undergo a cooldown (ex. Whiskey Foxtrot and Galilea), need to be of a certain level before they get access to such a status effect, or a combination of the ones mentioned (ex. ISIC’s Level 5 mutation wounds for only 1.5 sec). Beatrix essentially gets a long lasting Wound effect for free on her base attack.
Melee characters that have access to Wound need to be in close in order to apply it, opening themselves up to attack (ex. Caldarius’ Energy Blade melee or Deande’s Uppercut). They also fall under the previous scenarios for ranged characters with wounds (ex. Attikus has wound on Hedronic Charge, which has a cooldown).
Personally, I feel the maximum duration for Wound should be 2 seconds; unless it’s on a character ultimate.
- She gains access to a 3 second Silence status effect at Level 1 (Sedation augment). I find it absurd that she gets a Silence on a Ranged skill (Fulmination) that homes onto targets and can likely be shot at multiple players; given how many projectiles are fired. I don’t think I need to tell people how powerful that is. This is on top of the fact that the skill weakens enemies, and she gets an augment that reduces the skills cooldown by 25% (Long-Lasting). I know some will point to Rath, Galilea, Pheobe, and Attikus, so here are the differences:
Attikus - Requires him to be up close to the target when the Pounce lands, and the silence only lasts for 1 second. He’s also giving up his only escape ability.
Rath - He only gains access to Silence at Level 4. It’s range, while sizable, is also limited and only goes in a straight line.
Galilea - Requires that you’ve unlocked the mutation, as well as reach LvL 4. (Personally, I question if she should even have Silence on her kit considering how large an AoE Desecrate is - and can be).
Phoebe - Requires that you be in close to your target, opening you up to be focused by the enemy team, minions, or Sentry.
The Patient Zero skill offers too significant an increase to player abilities; both innately and in terms of augments. To clarify, it’s the magnitude of the buffs it gives that I find to be of issue than the actual buffs themselves. A flat 25% increase to Attack Speed seems fairly overboard for a duration of 5 seconds. But add to that the ability to give the affected ally 40% life steal on attack (Lvl 2 Leech Therapy Augment), and the ability to increase the duration of the skill by 3 seconds (LvL 8 Lingering Side Effects Augment), you’ve essentially given carte blanche for melee characters (especially Galilea or Phoebe) and high burst damage dealers (Benedict or Ernest) free rain to f— up anyones day. You can also compound this with her LvL 5 Immunosuppression Augment (Infected targets take 15% more melee damage for 3 seconds) to really push melee characters over the top. And as before with Fulmination, you have access to decrease the skills cooldown by 25% (Fast-Acting); even more with cooldown gear.
The 3 second stun on her Lvl 10 Toxic Hypoxia augment could (and probably will) be game-breaking. The augment allows for the target killed while under her Outbreak ultimate to stun enemies within the AoE range for 3 seconds. I find the stun duration to be far too excessive, considering the effect can also be triggered off a minion kill. There are some mitigating buffers here:
- A) It’s not guaranteed Beatrix will reach LvL 10 before the match is over (though I’m sure some will power level her)
- B) Minions grow stronger as the difficulty increases, giving a slight health buffer before they die. They also follow strict lanes, so you could ensure that you’re not in their path.
- C) Players affected with Outbreak can avoid teammates and vice-versa.
- D) The ability probably has one the longest cooldown in the game (70 seconds).
Still, I think such an augment is ripe for abuse, and will likely lead to outright demolishings against certain teams.
From an aesthetic and gameplay point a view, I find her character to be really cool. But I think the issue with Beatrix that I see right now is the sheer magnitude of her debuffs/buffs, and how they can potentially lead to complete shutdown of enemy teams; likely within the first few minutes of the match given her perma Wound ability. I do want to get her out there in the field, as well as square off against her to get a better feel. Any smart player who’s able to see what she has to offer will probably realize that they need to CC and focus her down as quickly as possible.