Lets Talk About Atlas Guns

Greetings,

I’d like to discuss Atlas guns because imo, the gameplay loop they provide isn’t the rewarding. There is a few things I can think of to fix them. But maybe I just haven’t found the right gun.

I think Atlas guns need more reward for the set up. Similar to torgue guns. Sticky mode does more damage, have improved fire rate and recoil when compared to impact mode

Idea 1:
Smart Bullets should do increased damage to Targets. Simple. The reason why is because sometime i wonder what is the point of setting up smart bullets if they do the same damage as regular bullets.

idea 2:(MAYBE an alternative idea)
The first shoot of the mag should be the tracker. No mode switch needed. Improve Atlas reload speed across the board to compensate.

Either idea or both idea’s combined would make these weapons less… janky imo.

Edit:
The real issue is that Atlas is mostly kinetic damage with no spice to back it up. Torgue and Jakobs kinetic damage is effective because they have additional multiplicative damage built in. Torgue has Splash. Jakobs has critical damage(Plus higher base damage overall). And that’s on top of them having Elemental Guns available. which the Atlas Guns lack(is the rebell yell it?)

Atlas Has none of these advantages. No splash and no critical. It needs a damage gimmick.

The only thing i dont like about Atlas guns is that the tracker goes away after a clip, theres no way in hell I will take the time to reaply a tracker on an enemy while being shot at with nades,launchers and tinks turret.

For your first idea, they’d probably have to lower the damage for none tracking bullets, unless they already don’t do that much. Otherwise, yes, increase it for tracking bullets. I don’t personally know, since I haven’t used them much.

For idea two, the issue is what if you miss?

The reload speed will have to be very fast lol. Im just spitballing

You want to increase damage on the Manu that has one of the most already over powered guns in the game? (Q-system). The advantage to tracking darts is you can stay on target while sprinting, behind cover, facing away from target etc. No line of sight needed, that’s the advantage of setting up a tracker with it.

I can agree on improving or changing the gimmick. Or making them feel/sound more rewarding. But damage, they don’t need that. <3

Some of the specific weapons maybe need some improvement for sure. Like the Rebel Yell, it’s pretty underwhelming atm.

2 Likes

ahhhh. So the advantage is it’s easier to play defense and survivaibility? That makes sense. Maybe you are right.

2 Likes

If you set up with a crit… the bulets home to that spot… a whole clip critting guaranteed is pretty good reward, pucks last a decent amount of time, and chain to other near by enemies if they go down in time; resetting the timer, rubys wrath quazar nade… + moze’ “some for the road” absolutely hilarious

1 Like

You only have one shot with the current tracker system as well. So, it wouldn’t be a difference in that regard.

That’s just one gun. Balancing a whole manufacturer loadout around a single type of gun is a bad idea. Bringing that outlier down to an equal level and buffing the manufacturer as a whole would be better.

5 Likes

I edited my comment. The outlier is really the Rebel Yell, which is an under-performer. Most of the rest of them are in a decent place, especially damage wise.

1 Like

I’ve found it strangely effective… like I have a pretty epic Q-System that two-shots most things with a crit, but while the Rebel Yell takes more shots, it really seems like they die in largely the same amount of time. I mean, the Rebel Yell is reloading way more (the DPS per magazine is probably roughly the same, as the Rebel Yell fires way faster), but in combat, I’ve found it quite functional.

My Atlas allegiance Operative is pretty close (he’s basically using two weapons: a pistol (darts) and an AR (puck). The launcher is for funsies, and the Peacemonger has a slim niche where it shines. At MM1 in TVHM anyway, it works enough to be quite fun.

1 Like

During my first play-through I got a level 17 Q-System Rifle from Earl’s machine. It was the only gun that would reliably take down an anointed. And it lasted almost until the end.

Shoot puk, leg-it, continue shooting.
Highly underrated gun.

1 Like

I find their unique mechanic good enough already but there is room for improvement. I mean the biggest advantage is the capability of indirect fire to take out targets without presenting any vulnerability, you can also run away from something and empty the whole clip and the smart-rockets will do their thing. Thats how I took out the T-Rex named first time I ran into him.

Kinetic only. This is the biggest for me. In an environment where you can add 50-200% bonus damage simply by countering the targets vulnerability white damage simply doesnt cut it anymore. Kinetic Torge at least have their use for certain classes. I m not sure if this was adressed already, I found a purple shock Atlas rifle yesterday, something I ve never seen before. So maybe this is a disregard point already.

AFAIK Atlas weapons dont count as splash is that correct? I mean they explode like area effect weapons but Mozes splash skill doesnt seem to trigger from it.

The Rebel Yell has shock darts, but it’s orange. Do post a pic!

Some do… it’ll say on the card (splash damage radius, and usually ‘shots cost 2 ammo’).

Oh? is that the distinguishing factor? Bollocks because I usually disregard guns on the spot that have a multi-shell requirement. I so HATE going through my ammo :slight_smile:

Personally I like it that the smart bullets are completely optional rather than being baked into the gun. There are a handful of times where smart bullets are nice (enemies that teleport or leap around a lot) but the rest of the time you just have a normal gun. I like normal guns!

The only Atlas archetype that feels off to me is the pistol that shoots rockets, maybe this is parts-dependent but the projectile speed on the ones I have used is just way too slow.

Also they need more legendaries with more uniques properties and elements. Atlas has the fewest unique guns in the game. Even Jakobs has like 6 elemental ones

Tracker Puck and Grenade are ■■■■. But tracket dart allow you to dart the head of an enemy, say an annointed, and turn your Atlas gun into a full crit weapon while not even aiming.

1 Like

The tracking puck lasts more than a clip. And when you kill the enemy it’s attached to, if another enemy is close enough to it it’ll attach to that enemy. You can get a pretty good chain of smart bullet kills that way.

I just wish they made shotguns. Then I could have a full set of different Atlas guns.

1 Like

I just wish the AR’s with scopes didn’t take up one third of my screen

1 Like

Peacemonger? For something with splash damage, it seems to crit a lot. There’s a sweet spot where it wrecks. If you’re too close, you’ll just hit them with the one rocket. Too far, and the split rockets won’t find the target. Too low, and one of the rockets will eat the ground. Too high, and they’ll all whiff. In an enclosed space, they’ll hit the walls before an enemy. However, in an outdoor space at the right distance, dayum.

Heck yeah… really think about how long 30+ seconds is in game combat… like I’ve reloaded twice firing on enemies where the puck was bouncing around them still on a live timer. My AR is like 34 seconds, but I’ve seen someone with a 42-second one, I think.

1 Like

The real issue is that Atlas is mostly kinetic damage with no spice to back it up. Torgue and Jakobs kinetic damage is effective because they have additional multiplicative damage built in. Torgue has Splash. Jakobs has critical damage(Plus higher base damage overall). And that’s on top of them having Elemental Guns available. which the Atlas Guns lack(is the rebell yell it?)

Atlas Has none of these advantages. No splash and no critical. It needs a damage gimmick.