Let's talk Aztanti

Aztanti.
The incredibly ancient civilization that disappeared.
They built seemingly impossible structures (even the LLC’sbest can’t figure them out) and seemed to possess power/magic/technology that far surpasses anything known.
They’re involved in massive golems and dead massive dragons. They’re involved in (coincidence?) the last star that the Varelsi haven’t taken.

So who wants to start guessing at their role in all this?

They are a reason to build stuff looking ancient and temple like.
Sorry for that non-fantasy vibe.

I am very likely wrong, but I’m gonna guess that they are the physical manifestation of an extra-dimensional being screwing with this universe. Seeding the Eldrid, and then as a counterpoint the Varelsi.

Like the Orz from Star Control, but much more ominous and much more A-hole-ish.

Most of the core lore seems to involve them, so I doubt it is there for level design. I’m really thinking central plot point

I didn’t know there was actual lore released yet. Where can I scope this.

It would be cool to have an Aztanti playable character in the future

Check out the news on the Battleborn main site. It’s in the the lore in various factions

And that would be epic to have them as a playable character!

The game could need some super freaky insect, tentacle, horror from beyond characters, so I’m for anything that adds that.

"The Thing cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled.

If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful"

That’s right
Cthulhu unofficially confirmed!

What’s the reference here? Not sure whether or not this was mentioned in Battleborn itself or if you’re quoting Call of Cthulhu.

Quoting call of cthulhu.
The tentacle borrow from beyond made me think of it

Ahh…still, I’d love it anyways if Cthulhu were playable or something. My personal view on the subject would be to make him be like the merging of him and Ranolph Carter from another universe…and neither one is happy about being stuck there.
But this is getting a bit offtopic, and I’ll also add that I myself am quite curious about the Aztanti…in fact until I read this thread it occurred to me that the fact their homeworld happens to be in the same system as the last star can’t be a coincidence, kinda surprised I never realized it before actually.

I see three real possibilities.

1. They turned into the Varelsi
  2. They’ll return to stop them and start the fight to win back the universe
  3. They were the original Battleborn and somehow lost their fight but made it possible for the now Battleborn to win.

I mean it could be an every 10000 years the Varelsi wipe out life (Mass effect style) kind of thing

1 Like

Meh, I’d prefer they stay ominous. The mystery keeps them interesting, and gives the devs carte blanche to do whatever they want with them.

But it would bother the hell out of me if there was one faction with less characters than the others.

Well consider the general belief is that the 5 free dlc characters are going to be split evenly among the 5 factions