Level 65 level cap and how an extra skill tree relates to that

If I did the math correctly, we would need to be level 80 in order to be at the bottom of 3 out of 4 skill trees. So I don’t see much of a point of additional skill points unless they go all the way to 80. I’m not a fan of increasing the level cap without any means of supporting your old gear as you do. They told us level 65 would be the level cap “for the foreseeable future” but days later they dropped the news that they would add the 4th skill tree by the end of the year (as I understand it). I’m highly suspicious that this means the level cap will raise at that itme.

Do you think that they will increase the level cap when they release the 4th skill tree for each character?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Do you want them to increase the level cap when they release the 4th skill tree for each character?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

If they increase the level cap past 65 do you want them to provide a way to level up old gear via cost and/or time?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

All builds would be the same if you allowed 3 cap stones, not to mention power creep. But knowing these devs they will do it.

3 Likes

I don’t actually think they’ll increase the cap. If one of the complaints in the community right now is that there isn’t much build diversity when you can fill out 2.5 out of 3 trees, then the addition of a 4th skill tree (so long as it is worth speccing into) will make that 2.5 out of 4 skill trees. Diversity will actually increase a lot if they DON’T increase the level cap.

Also, considering 4th trees are DLC and level caps aren’t, I doubt they’d raise the level cap for everyone just so people with 4th skill trees can have more skill points.

7 Likes

Build diversity would drop if they increase level cap. Also looking for gear would be a hassle if they did. Level cap is good where it is. If they want more Skill points, just add skill point sdu. Though that would only solve gear issue.

2 Likes

For BL3, yes they have made all level cap increases free. For other games in the series, it’s been a mixed bag of whether skill points are included as a free update or part of DLC.

I agree with everyone about build diversity. It should theoretically be an amazing amount of build diversity with a 4th skill tree. As long as the new trees are worth speccing into and also not insanely OP.

Eww I’m disappointed to see people don’t want more skill points. I like being OP and being able to take as many of the good skills that I can. I’ve always been against the idea of a 4th skill tree because it would make me potentially give up skills I like to use other ones.

4 Likes

Imho that should not happen. Filling 2 skill trees and a half kills diversity enough already. Adding a new tree at level 65 should bring more diversity and force people to make well calculated choices, that is the main purpose of having skill trees in the first place…

2 Likes

Every player gets something else from this series.
Just like @dragonrider98473 I like to get it all for fun.
I mean, I pay for this entertainment time.
If I wanted a challenge I’d just work more or play other titles.
When I play Borderlands I want to feel fantastic not challenged.

I’m not against it per se but I am not for having more skill points either. I’m completely against raising level cap though.

Keep the cap at 65 but the current trees need work as well. Zane currently has 2 worth speccing into as an example so adding a tree will only take him up to 3 if the new one is worthwhile

Tell that to Borderlands 1, TPS and BL2. hahha. For some reason tends to jump the shark on how many skill points to pump into their games.

As for the players who want it all, may I suggest respeccing a couple times to try all the other skills, or my preference, creating multiple instances of each character so you can have your shield + drone Zane as well as your clone + drone Zane or your clone + shield Zane.

Borderlands games are more interesting with about these many skill points. The capstone of 2 skill trees plus some points to play around with. After that, it tends to get silly.

I hope the lvl cap stays 65 for a while. I think too many points will just make everything redundant and as many people have stated you become too OP and it hinders build diversity when you can just pick everything.

I actually liked Borderlands 1 giving skill points as rewards for missions. I feel they could bring that back but then again it feels already too late. Like for example completing both Takedowns would grant you 1 skill point one time for 2 additional skill points on your VH. When harder content and better raids come out this would be incentive for everybody to complete the hard content at least once. The reason I say this would be a good alternative for a few additional points is because then we don’t have to refarm all our 65 gear.

3 Likes

I agree. I miss that aspect of BL1. They could have kept the level cap at 50 and just provided a bunch of ways to get 15 skill points once you hit 50.

3 Likes

I don’t want them to add more levels. I mentioned this when 50 was the cap. Even had a huge widely controversial thread about it. But they did it anyway. It removed a lot of the diversity like I said it would. They are going to add more skill points with or shortly after the 4th skill tree. It will be more of the same. 4th tree, event, then level cap.

2 Likes

If Gbx allows for easy copy/paste on consoles as they do on PC, I’d be down for that.
I already have several instances of them. But i bugs me to death that I have to run the story and re-find, re-activate, re-discover everything again.
Please, Gbx, throw away this mechanism and let me copy charactsrs on console!

1 Like

I disagree with that! Builds are way more the skill point allocation. We could be specced all the same but the gear makes all the difference!
If anything, I’d argue that it opens up the diversity becase it creates options which is, to me, way better that restrictions.

1 Like

id want way to get so many skill points but not level up but then say do limit on how many skill points you can get etc if that makes sense…

Tbh I lost every point of trust in GBX. The most stupid thing was giving us events BEFORE they raised the cap. They screwed up so many times already. At this point nothing will surprise me anymore and I stop to try to make the game better. I mean they ignore it anyway so why bother? They will do what ever they want to do no matter what the community want to have in the game.

1 Like

I don’t think making it so we can fill out 3/4 of the skill trees is a good idea.
Where is the build diversity at that point? Didn’t GBX say before this game came out that they wanted to allow players to have more versatility and diversity? Something akin to “we want you to never automatically know the build of an Amara when they join your game.” I mean, the more you can fill out a skill tree the less replayability there is. For me, I’ll make an entirely different character so I can have multiple builds without constantly respecing.

I say stop at 65. 2.5/4 skill trees is more than enough in my book. IDK. I might be a minority who likes build diversity and a lack of being able to get everything on a single character in a skill tree based RPG.

3 Likes