Looking for games

So as you may be aware if any of you have seen me around on the forums before I predominantly play Xbox 360 however I recently got a PC, not too heavy in the way of gaming PC’s but enough to run unreal engine so probably most games to an alright standard.

The point I’m getting at is, I need some good pc games. I’ve played a fair few on xbox yet I played different genre’s PC more often than not as I grew up playing RTS on PC before I got into console gaming.

My games I have played (Xbox or PC)

• Borderlands (all 3)
  • Prototype 1 + 2
  • Bioshock 2 + infinite
  • Saints Row 2,3, 4
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Fable 3
  • GoW 1, 3
  • More or less all GwG releases
  • Command and Conquer TD, TS, TW, TT, RA 1, RA 2, Generals and Generals ZH
  • SimCity (the 1990’s version)
  • Battleborn
  • Empire earth II
  • Don’t Starve
  • Toribash
  • Stealth Combat
  • Minecraft

I’m more looking along the lines of a good RPG, or character development game to look into getting. I’ve never played Fallout but thinking slightly about getting 4 at some point.
FPS games I prefer console but will probably have to get used to PC controls for when Xbox 360 is no longer supported or mine dies.
A good story would be a definite must or I’ll probably get bored and something with enough options that I can replay it a lot would be preferable.

If anyone knows anyone on here really well versed in games who can give good suggestions by all means link them here.
Closing footnote, I am 18 so age restricted games aren’t an issue if people want to suggest any.

Morrowind. I lost years to that thing. Oblivion and Skyrim are great, but Morrowind feels most original, almost alien.

1 Like

Specifically Morrowind? It’s seems to be getting on as graphics goes and, while I’m not picky for graphics(come on I play command and conquer 1 now still and enjoy it more than some modern graphic games), I seldom see it in shops. Would it be worth grabbing DLC too?

That’s just the one I enjoyed most. It has a slightly different character progression system to the more recent games, and it’s not to everyone’s taste.

Not to be a bother but any chance you could find some decent game play that catches what you think makes it a good game for the progression? I could search on Youtube but I’d probably find someone who plays it with a stupidly over the top amount of commentary or doesn’t give enough time to see anything as they’re probably running it at speed.

The mods for it are awesome too.

On the other hand, Bethesda games are a modding treasure trove. Like Paradox games.

Yeah that was the one thing I regretted having got Skyrim for Xbox, some of the mods look nice.
Paradox games, Crusader Kings 2 right?

Oh and in case it helps, I have a strong interest in Myth and Legends along with nice well fleshed out lore in games. Darksiders was quite a good one too, things like the Horsemen of the Apocalypse catch my interest quite a bit.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Psychichazard, of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim Morrowind is the most fun and closest to a traditional (more old school) RPG. Also, since you would be playing on PC Morrowind was given a complete graphics overhaul. See the following:

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

I played Morrowind GOTY version (which included the 2 DLCs) on the original Xbox when it was originally released (back in 2003?). Aside for the so-so graphics, the game was very fun. And since you are on PC, there are several MODs that you could add to make the game even better. I tried to install Morrowind on my Laptop (made in 2012) and then installed the overhaul. Sadly, my Laptop isn’t designed for gaming and only has 64 MB of non-dedicated Video memory. So, I had to uninstall the overhaul since the framerate dropped to single digits when outside and low double digits when inside. Other games I would recommend include Fallout 3 and all DLC and Dishonored and all DLC.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

1 Like

Even though the specs say it’ll run on Windows ME/98/XP/2000 will Win 7 run it without Patches? I found a copy on the Game(UK company, Gamestop I think for Americans) website for £7 or more or less.

As for Fallout 3, funny story, I was going to get it 2 years back but the gameplay the guy used VATs and, being unaware as to how Fallout played and finding it by chance I decided against it since VATs looked terrible (or maybe it was New Vegas either way. I saw one of them and decided against it) I’ll look into it.

Dishonored I got free with Gold on Xbox, had quite a bit of fun so I’ll look into it at sometime. Probably if I can find a GOTY for a decent price.
Was a Dishonored 2 rumoured to be in the works? Following the Princess or something after she grew up and followed the guy from the first ones footsteps?

I love a good history book, so I love a good historical game. CKII was quite fun, EU4 was disappointing. I think they also do the Mount and Blade series.

Looked into CK2 at one point when I was looking for GoT mods. That’s quite an ambition task they took for it mind, entire overhaul so you play in Westeros instead, plus the instability of Westeros’ politics. Killing Kings at their own wedding, murdering unborn children at a wedding, three deaths is a boring wedding. Dragons, Famous Warlords and underage girls being wed. You know what, I’m not going to another Wedding, they never end well.

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/A_Game_of_Thrones

As long as you have enough dedicated video memory, Windows 7 will run Morrowind. My laptop has Windows 7 and it ran Morrowind fine, just not with the Overhaul installed.

VATS is optional. You don’t have to use it, it just makes playing the game a bit easier.

If you can find Dishonored GOTY for a decent price, it is worth getting. Dishonored 2 is in development, and you play as the daughter of the slain Empress in the first game.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

Found out about VATS after I bought a small number of games all on offer whereas the game itself would have been more than I was willing to spend on a single game at the time, got 5 games for £20 so paying nearly £10 for a single game that was on that offer just didn’t seem right when I went back.

Probably pick it up at some point though, got a few good game stores not too far from me, all of 4 miles more or less. One on the doorstep to my college, or at least as good as.

Oh and looking forward to the official RWBY game to be released by Rooster Teeth, RWBY Grimm Eclipse.

Speaking as a Fallout 1 and 2 fanboy… Get Fallout 1 and 2. Then once you finish Fallout 2 go to the No Mutants Allowed forums and download Killap’s Restoration Project for Fallout 2.

Is this the format of Fallout 1?

Will it run in compatibility mode? Will I need patches?
I see it’s a spiritual successor to Wasteland, would that be any good to look into?

Fallout 2

Same sort of Game-play? Same sorts of questions as with the first but also, how much freedom do you have choice-wise. I know the later Fallouts have Karma which affects certain events and options.

Yes, the first 2 Fallout games are 2D Isometric. Real time when out of combat, turn based while in combat.

The versions I have are from when GOG.com was giving them away for free the month before Bethesda forced them to take it down so they could add the Beth logo onto it. I don’t know if Bethesda did any OS patches or not, but if you have trouble, just go to the modding section of the No Mutants Allowed forums and find a mod to fix it. The worst problem I had was that Fallout 2 on my gaming PC (Win 7) had lots of color glitches until I installed Killap’s Restoration Project.

Speaking of mods, the digital versions of Fallout 1 are European versions because they had an extra patch that the US versions never got or something like that, so children have been removed because the censors were upset by that fact that children could be killed. There’s a small mod to add them back in to Fo1.

Wasteland is from 1988. GOG and Steam sell it, but you may need DOSBOX to run it. I haven’t played it, but from what I’ve heard it’s extremely unforgiving. Also, the Steam version of Wasteland 2 comes with a copy of Wasteland 1.

I can’t really think of any cases off the top of my head where the karma meter has any real use. It’s supposed to effect a reputation meter with people when you first talk to them, but it never has any practical effect. Apart from some Reputation Perks like Slaver or Childkiller, most people treat you based purely on how you act toward them or their town rather than your karmic reputation, or if there friend in a different town said that you screwed them over or that you’re a great person (which is rare). The only real affect I can think of that your Karma meter has is it influences which ending you get in Fo1, but it doesn’t always absolutely decide it for you.

When it comes to gameplay, it’s much more free than Bethesda Fallout. Beth FO focuses more on the FPS part of it where as in FO 1 and 2 you can play however you like since it’s a CRPG and not an FPS RPG. So you can play combat, you can play stealth, you can play a pacifist diplomat and just run from every violent encounter, ect. Then there are Traits which provide 1 positive stat and 1 negative stat, which Obsidian (which is comprised of a lot of the people who made the first two Fallouts) brought back for NV. Some boost combat skills, some boost peaceful skills, some affect how susceptible you are to drug addictions, and some like Bloody Mess and Jinxed are just for fun.

Also, I’ll just bring this up to pique your curiosity, there are Special Encounters which might randomly appear while yo’re travelling on the world map. Some are pop-culture references, others can provide you with some of the most powerful guns and/or companions in the game, while other’s are meant to hurt you. Have fun with those :P.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out, any chance there is a Fallout released which has 1, 2 and 3 in one pack by any chance?

I’ll probably get 4 after the Christmas sales when it’ll drop from £40 to about £20 overnight.

I doubt it. You can get some second-hand copies of Fallout Trilogy that has Fallout 1 and 2, as well as Tactics which was a strategy game from 2001 or so. But I don’t think 3 is in any pack at all.

OK, I’ll start keeping a more attentive eye out when I have time to get to a Game shop. Might have to put a request in for the earlier Fallout games for them to come in for order.