Looking for soft ways to break shield only

I wanted to try using the ward or even the shooting star for funzies and was trying to figure out a way to soft break my shield. I found shooting the westergun down works alright, but often I’ll end up applying a super giant dot to myself and insta die. It’s hard enough to get my shield down to test things on the dummy in sanctuary, but it’s near impossible to actually do anything in combat, much less after a second wind or anything. Does anyone have a suggestion on easy ways to break one’s own shield? Thanks!

Hmm, maybe the alchemist. Takes a handful of shots though. There’s also that COV legendary, Pain is Power.

1 Like

Hm. I’ll look at pain is power. I was hoping I could toss down an epicenter at my feet or something but I generally just die :confused:🤷

Epicenter doesn’t do self damage I don’t think? Unless you have FitSD.

Edit… Also yeah, FitSD is gonna kill you, don’t use it if you’re trying to self damage. An ogre without FitSD can easily knock your shield and not cause dots.

1 Like

You could try a shock gun with reflecting bullets.

1 Like

Interesting idea.

Hahahah this is happening for sure. I love autobear tho, so those 11 points gotta go somewhere. Maybe this is the one time Grizzled would be better? Lol

1 Like

Any self damage build you have to take off FitSD I totally forgot about that. Grizzled and deadlines would be the better choice.

1 Like

If the shield is small enough, an E.M.P. grenade from Noggins should do the trick

2 Likes

easy fix would be to play Borderlands 2 and play some melee zero :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d recommend alchemist over pain; once you destroy your shield with pain, you have fire dot problem on your vulnerable-to-cooking flesh to contend with, whereas alchemist leaves you with a nice energizing shock instead

4 Likes

The EMP won’t strip a whole shield if you throw it at your feet with no enemies in close proximity — don’t know why, but I’ve tested it.

Thunderball fists?

Would be interested if you figure out a good solution.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to think of one because I got a v 0.m last night now too and I wanna see if I can max out damage by using an elemental projector in the mix too. Biggest problem is I keep killing myself :sweat_smile::open_mouth:

1 Like

@Prismatic wrote this up

[Build] Dotsworth - A Mayhem 4 Mobbing build

Go to the FitSD part and it explains a great way to apply dots to yourself that won’t damage you. 1/5 skag den. You should then be able to break your shield with a neutral splash gun and set yourself on fire.

It would end up being pretty tough to juggle shield breaking and self ignition all the time though, you would need 2 different guns just for that so you don’t kill yourself trying to apply dots, and the other being able to break your shield.

2 Likes

It should be noted part of the reason FitSD isn’t killing me is that I’m triggering it with a lvl 26 gun. The fire damage scales in proportion to the card damage.

2 Likes

That’s an important note!

2 Likes

There’s a mission called Sell Out located in Ambermire on Eden-6. It’s a quick mission, and Tyreen asks you to click a button. Do what she asks and you’ll be rewarded with a pistol called the Sell Out. It has a very high chance to do fire/corrosive damage, but it’s not as crazy amount of damage. I think you could probably dot yourself with the corrosive type to break your shield pretty easy. I don’t suggest the fire side if you have Stoke the Embers.

If you don’t have the Transformer shield on, I also just fired my Alchemist gun to break my shield easy. It hurts you with shock damage when you fire it.

Also, you can bring in a level 1 character with you on Coopertition mode and get a low level version to use to dot yourself for using the Elemental Projector with fire or corrosive.

2 Likes