As we know, the end of BL3 involves using the previously discovered Vault Keys to energize and use The Machine to keep the Destroyer from escaping.
Tyreen disrupts that, and she needs to be dealt with, eliminating the final use of The Machine.
What happens now?
At the point of story end, The Machine is active, and Tannis can manipulate it. Which raises interesting questions.
- Will she? Will Tannis’s obsession with Eridian tech lead her back to the vault with the control console to experiment?
- Is this for BL4? If there is a broader war coming in BL4 (hinted at often) will an active Machine play a part in it? We don’t know it’s complete powers, so I can see a scenario where battling for control of the Machine may be an important plot point
- Will the VHs disarm it? Is it time to go back to Nekrotafeyo and pull the individual vault keys out of their pedestals and put them back, well, somewhere?
- Can the power channeled from the Vaults to power the Machine be used for something else? Can Tannis, or a Eridian emerging from somewhere, use the power of, say, the Eden-6 vault without the Machine?
- Will the Corporations go after it? If Nekrotafeyo has been found, can the VHs keep it secret? Or will the Corps find out and venture there to harvest that power themselves, perhaps creating a very large inter-Corp war?
Lots of dangling ends to having that massive, powerful, and mysterious piece of Eridian magic still spinning.