Make TVHM harder by nerfing anoints

So, I know there’s a lot of posts about ideas to fix TVHM. Like a lot, a lot. But I was thinking about some of the other complaints that people raise, like wanting tougher enemies as a challenge beyond just max mayhem level, and that the anointment system is crap (too powerful and only damage anoints are worthwhile).
So, why not put all this together? In TVHM 2.0, anoints that boost damage get a 90% penalty, so a +100% bonus becomes +10%. Suddenly you deal less damage and enemies are tougher. The rest of the anoints become more viable as the damage boosts make less difference and other ways to improve DPS or survivability are feasible.
And hey, if players dislike the extra layer of challenge, they just stick to NVHM. No loss for them, but players that want to push themselves, want a more classic borderlands feel, or just want a real true vault hunter experience can stick to TVHM.

4 Likes

Good idea, but not sure about its implementation.

If it was a part of Mayhem 3.0 (or whatever) where it is possible to choose modifiers, sure give me that extra layer of PITA.

1 Like

Nerf is a no-no word around here. GB has entrenched themselves firmly in the never-nerf mentality for better or worse.

1 Like

remove anoints all together to make harder game by downscaling enemies accordingly.

what a stroke of genius it would be

10 Likes

@clagen86

You have got to be joking right?

Since when did GB entrench themselves in the never nerf mentality?

The nerfing of most good items in the game is what caused me to start looking elsewhere.

1 Like

I do believe almost all players are playing mayhem on normal mode though as it’s exactly the same as TVHM mayhem. Making TVHM mayhem harder while addressing the anointment stupidity would just be beneficial. In OPs suggestion NVHM mayhem would work exactly as it used to. I don’t for a second believe GBX would do it but it sure sounds nice.

3 Likes

Example?

I dont consider bug fixes to be direct nerfs

I could be misremembering, but the last time they nerfed anything was the yellowcake. Most of the ultraviolet weapons are still facerollers, and I have a feeling the arms race legendaries will stay that way too.

1 Like

They need to nerf game failing systems/crashes on all platforms first :expressionless:

2 Likes

cake was not nerfed it was also fixed they just adjusted spawn projectiles to have rocket launcher multiplier

1 Like

So many to a point of not gonna waste my time listing all the nerfs but at the first half plus of the year the game had been out ion cannon crossroads lucians call kings call queens call the hellwalker got a random 8% damage nerf just google or search up earlier patches and hot fixes

2 Likes

To be fair, I just picked the game back up after not touching it for many months.

1 Like

Sorry, this would be the wrong move. Unless you are willing to hand test all weapons, which is what you would need to do after this change. At this point the game is better left alone, because everytime GBX touches it, something goes wrong.

1 Like

Wasn’t having a go at you lol figured you might be new was just answering bluntly lol yeah there have been a huge amount of nerfs in this game it has honestly done alot of damage to the community the hellwalker nerf for example came out of no where for no reason and the funny thing is a recent patch buffed it so some one was payed money to code in a nerf than some one else was payed to code in a buff and again when it was nerfed it was not any where near the meta of gear was it bad no it was just a wait what? kind of nerf

1 Like

Wait, what???

1 Like

Also can we please stop asking for nerfs maybe ask for a new mode or current mode tweaks please I am over this kind of request yes you may be some uber elite that needs dark souls difficulty in every thing but I only play this game to shoot stuff and I like the anointment the ones you are asking gearbox take away from me what did I do to you for you to ask this inflicted on me

1 Like

Anointments have changed the entire BL experience, and IMHO, not for the better. I’d prefer they get rid of them entirely. I feel the same about Mayhem as well. Mayhem should only exist as an added difficulty due to modifiers. It should not increase difficulty by adding extra health, armor and shields to enemies. That should be controlled by the games difficulty level. That way we can have a typical BL experience with an easy-very hard difficulty AND we can add mayhem modifiers on top of that if we so choose. Higher difficulties means better/more loot and bonus further increased by playing with Mayhem enabled.

I honestly don’t understand why it wasn’t done this way in the first place. Despite the game having the longest development cycle of all the BL games, I feel like everything in this game, outside of the guns, level design and gameplay itself, were not well thought out.

6 Likes

@clagen86

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/18/20920693/borderlands-3-nerf-patch-oct-17-flakker-crossroads-lyuda

I like this idea, as it actually makes the two modes different. I’m playing through TVHM right now and it feels remarkably the same as everything I’ve done over the past several months.

Though, perhaps, maybe make this UVHM instead? That way there’s NVHM for completionists to get everything, TVHM which is basically the same, but can be reset, and UVHM for extra challenge/better anointment balance.

Also, I’d prefer they drop the ability specific anointments totally and roll them into one, but if they don’t, then maybe those get a 20% damage bonus instead of a 10%? (Honestly, though, prefer they just get rolled into a single anointment).

1 Like

Fun Detected. Obliterate.

1 Like