Map navigation is not great

Hey. I really liked the map navigation in Borderlands 2. Not so much in Borderlands 3.

You see, in BL2 the map is automatically zoomed out as to give you a nice overview over the area you are in. Dragging around with my mouse works quickly and smoothly.

This is not the case in Borderlands 3 and it’s bugging me quite a lot when I have to find a quest objective at the other end of the area. The F Hotkey is a really cool feature to jump back and forth, but it’s not enough if you want to plan the quickest route to your goal.

My issue specifically with the map in Borderlands 3: You’ve added a sort of additional drag/smoothness to clicking and dragging around your map. Although I play with a medium mouse sensitivity I have to drag my mouse over the entire desk three or four times like some sort of spastic to align the thing over my point of interest. The same applies to my mousewheel. You have to scroll three or four full rotations to zoom out properly to see a big portion of the map. Can anyone back me up on this issue?

1 Like

Yes - this has been my experience. An ‘easy’ fix would be to have the map zoomed to its extents as its default view, then we can zoom in to where we want to start, and panning is easier from that distance. A proper fix would be to have the zoom/pan speeds adjusted properly (like they’re not married to our mouse speed settings or something?)

Because it’s so slow, I haven’t noticed this, but zooming (in our out) should be centered on one’s mouse, not the center of the map (so a skilled navigator can both pan and zoom at once (like AutoCAD or Google Earth for example). It may already be like this, but I can’t tell.

1 Like

I cannot confirm any slowness of zooming in and out with the mouse wheel; it feels just fine to me.

However, I’m certainly with you in that panning (and, to a lesser extent, rotating) the map by dragging the mouse is painfully sluggish. For this reason alone, I’ve completely switched to using WASD to pan. But even that feels a bit slow.

Coupling this with the fact the game doesn’t remember and restore your last set zoom level when you re-open the map, automatically rotates the map to the direction you’re looking upon opening it, and has no directional (north) marker, should make it clear that there’s still quite a bit of room for improvement.

However, I will always stress that I find the 3-dimensional map in Borderlands 3 to be an amazing improvement over the previous games overall. So Kudos to Gearbox for that.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, bluespark. I couldn’t agree more, the 3 dimensionality of the map is great!

You’ve hereby confirmed an assumption I had, but which I did not bother testing prior to posting the thread. I was speculating if the game uses your mouse scroll settings from windows. Mine was set to 4 lines per scroll (I kept it low because of some navigation issues within Discord). After I increased the amount to 20, zooming in and out of the Borderlands 3 map is quite good!

For anyone wondering, the setting can be found by typing ‘scroll’ into the Windows 10 search bar, you should get a settings option that reads ‘Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them’

However, I’m certainly with you in that panning (and, to a lesser extent, rotating) the map by dragging the mouse is painfully sluggish. For this reason alone, I’ve completely switched to using WASD to pan. But even that feels a bit slow.

Thank you for this valuable tip! It has never occured to me that this was an option as well. Navigating with WASD is actually quite good, it’s enough of a bypass for me to satisfy my needs :sunglasses: