Matthew Armstrong leaves Gearbox

As posted by GameInformer Matthew Armstrong: Borderlands Franchise Director is leaveing Gearbox.

Wanted to share the news. I really enjoy Borderlands and I will always be thankful to him and everyone involved in this awesome project.

2 Likes

This is bad news. I hope he fares well in his new venture.

4 Likes

Not looking good for future Borderlands.

1 Like

Guess it was a good investment in buying The Handsome Collection cause it seems like BL3 is nothing but a dream

It says in the update that he left for his own reasons, it had nothing to do with 2k or GBX firing anyone. It was just the right time for him to personally move on, so he did. Maybe the game will turn out differently, but this shouldn’t have any negative impact on the development of BL3.

Remains to be seem. People involved in creation and development of a franchise leaving (for whatever reason) can change the direction of a franchise for good or bad.

I have to agree with this. BL can get by without Burch and Hellquist (BL1 was an amazing game that they had nothing to do with), but losing the franchise’s creator and director is a huge blow. For the first time, I’m actually worried.

1 Like

Ya I can understand Burch departing, there are other good writers, now theyve let go one of their originators of the franchise, not really sure as to why the major overhaul to the companys infrastructure is for. Itd be nice if Jeffybug or someone would come on here and present SOME kind of statement as to why, especially since they were SUPPOSE to be adding people to the team not tearing it down.

I’m pretty sure Hellquist worked on Bl1, I’m 99% sure his name was near the top of the credits.

But yeah, tis sad he’s leaving. Borderlands under Armstrong was great. I hope both Borderlands and he have good futures.

2 Likes

Or maybe he is telling the truth and just wants to do something else, Gearbox can’t force people to stay and work for them. Everything he was working on was finished, so he left to pursue something else before another commitment was made.

Working on the same franchise for 8+ years might get tiring, I’d probably want to make something else no matter how much I love Borderlands.

1 Like

If some many people leave… well soon all the fans will jump off this.

Anthony, 2K Australia, Armstrong… @_@

3 Likes

Coincidence? I think not.

Employees dropping like flies is certainly not a confidence booster.

3 Likes

The DLC’s yes, but not the main game.

FTA - “Pre-Sequel, Claptastic Voyage, and Handsome collection all shipped. In a rare moment, I was temporarily non-vital. I could leave without damaging Borderland or Gearbox too much if I did it at this moment, so now was the time. I think Gearbox will do great in the future, and I think Borderlands will stay strong and awesome. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I’m not quitting out of anger or getting fired. It’s just time for new adventures. I’m an inventor. I’m ready to make something new. Not just new to me, but new to everyone.”

I would have thought with BL3 being announced that this would be the perfect time for him to be involved in it’s next step since he is a key creator. Something tells my spider-scense that all is not well inside Gearbox. Anthony Birch has recently left, before that earlier this year was Paul Hellquist. Three creative people who maybe no longer could get to express their creative visions?

This sounds like any kind of industry. Either the companies or the fans expect certain stuff out of you, and you can’t stray from it, and your pigeonholed into doing the same thing over and over again. That’s the way of the entertainment world.

1 Like

Yep. Once you monetise something and it becomes successful then the money starts to drive the direction of the project that was originally born from pure passion. BL has something that the other two did not, a pure innocence maybe. It felt like they developers and designers were having a lot of fun making that one but second and third time around a lot of new creative ideas would have been tossed aside if the could not be used as a marketing angle.

Fans already have, I think that’s what has set things in motion with people leaving and development houses closing.

Yeah, look at the “An Evening with Gearbox” interview videos. BL1: “We did it because it felt right. We didn’t expect to sell much.” BL2: “We made it over the top and exciting, we knew this would sell tons.”