But first it needs a revision. I know some say that current modifiers are ok. That’s totally fine and I respect that. I just like to go through the modifiers and share my personal view.
Before I go through each, my view is that each level should bring gradual difficulty without rendering any of the previous modifiers as null. Therefore any modifiers should complement each-other without overruling. I will add detail when I feel I need to, otherwise I will just say ok.
My definitions for modifiers level that might help with some of the below comments
- Easy: modifiers that should always help the VH regardless of VH’s build or class.
-Medium: modifiers that brings a light increase in difficulty, without overruling easy modifiers
- Hard: complements medium modifiers or bring additional difficulty without overruling previous modifiers
- Very Hard: complements medium and hard modifiers or bring additional difficulty without overruling previous modifiers
- Lootsplosion - OK
- Moore than Okay Boomer - needs to be removed. Maybe with grenades damage increased by 1000% to be used for some fun grenade builds, something not feasible since hex nerf. Otherwise is not helpful in any way.
- Slayer - ok although I would remove it as it’s not a strong enough benefit unless special class / builds /situation
- Speed Demon: it’s ok, although I will tone it down a bit, to 30% x3. For me 50%x3 becomes too hectic
- Big Kick Energy - ok without the recoil and spread impact or maybe just to be reduced to 25% or even to 15%. It hinders a bit too much for easy.
-Brain Galaxy: OK
- (Random) Element Infuse: ok
- Mob Mentality: OK
- Healy Avenger: OK
- Freeze Tag: OK but the orb appearance should be slightly reduce and the HP reduced to 15% from current and without any damage type reduction. It should be targetable (pets, SNTL, chain weapons, ricochet, etc.)
- Floor is Lava: OK ONLY if lava damage and lingering is reduced by 50% and that it also damage the foes. Otherwise it should be in Hard
- Pain Tolerance: out. Best case moved to Hard if not Very Hard. Although this is a challenge mode, details below.
- Ticked Off: this is weird as simply renders Maliwan inefficient. Makes no sense. Besides 90% is too much anyway. I would remove it.
- Chain Gang: OK, although this is a medium one not hard.
- Pool Party: same comment as in Floor is Lava. This is an environment effect, therefore needs to be as efficient on goes as is on VHs.
- Laser Fare: OK. However, frequency and HP should be reduced. Also the spinners should not have any damage type resistance. It should be targetable (pets, SNTL, chain weapons, ricochet, etc.)
- Rouge Light: our! Does not bring any added value to the gameplay or fun. This should be a challenge mode game/quest on top of mayhem. More about it later.
- Post Mortem: out. Same as above. Besides, the skull should have maybe only 15-20% of current HP and not to be resistant to any type of damage. It should be targetable (pets, SNTL, chain weapons, ricochet, etc.)
- Dazed and Infused: fine. However it should always be only one on the foe. Sometimes a foe have 2 elements.
- Not in the face: reduction is far too high. At mad 50% but I would go with 30%
- Buddy System: our. Unless the drone respects the collision physics, HP reduced to 20-30% if current and is not resistant to any damage type. It should be targetable (pets, SNTL, chain weapons, ricochet, etc.)
- Holy Crit: OK. Non-crit though I would reduce it to 25%
There are other that can be added
- Easy: each 3rd consecutive crit, doubles crit damage for 3s. Each non-crit resets the count.
- Easy: Killing an enemy have 30% chance to activate all equipped anointments.
- Easy: while moving you get 25% damage reduction and while standing still you have 30% chance that any hit to be a crit hit and ricochet to nearby enemies.
- Medium: There is a 20% chance not to damage the enemy (every 5th hit does nothing, miss hits resets the count)
- Medium: 20% chance when hit to be pulled to the enemy (respecting volition and not outside of the map)
- Hard: Enemies regenerates health, shield and armor if not damaged for 5s.
-Hard: 15% chance that enemies that hit you will spawn an additional enemy. The enemy that bring you in FFYL will spawn a badass commander. Effect not applicable to bosses.
- Very Hard: Enemies are linked. When killed, will heal 20% of life, armor and shield to all linked enemies, based on what the killed enemy had. Bosses and mini-bosses cannot be linked.
- Very Hard: all anointments effects are reduced by 50%.
And so on and so forth…
This is something I talked about before and is on top of any selected mayhem mode. As I see it, it can be done in 3 ways:
- Game mode: instead of Normal or TVHM to have Challenge Mode
- To be activated from ECHO at any time.
- To be part of weekly Activities e.g. proving grounds, quests in previous events maps, events, raid, special slaughter, etc. These are redressed weekly through the hotfix system.
While in challenge mode, any drop will have a chance to get a drop from badasses and named enemies a Guardian Booster that will infuse you for 2h. New booster will reset the countdown. The infused VH will have 10% increase of every single attribute from every equipped items, positive or negative. Damage, elemental, health, anointment effect, precision, reload, etc. anything listed on any of the item that is equipped, changing an item will loose its booster until another Guardian Booster is found. Guardian Booster is automatically applied on pick-up. It is not a consumable.
Surely,the booster drop rate is lower but the chance is increased with each run. On top of this, all items dropped here tend to be on the higher end on quality, which means bigger chance to get max damage weapons, max crit damage, magazine, etc.
Challenges (remember, these are on top of mayhem mode)
- Post Mortem
- Rogue Light
- Pain Tolerance: although I would change it to on kill and increased to 10s to all enemies
- Pain Affinity: similar with pain tolerance but per weapon type.
- Switch and Shoot: each kill will decrease the weapon damage by 10% stacking up to 10 times but increase all other weapon types by 20% per stack. It resets with each kill performed with a different weapon type.
Anyway, this is how I see it. Mayhem mode should bring difficulty but never to hinder the fun of playing.
And if you reach this part of the post, congrats! You really like borderlands to succeed and you care! Thank you!