Mayhem vs Mutator

So, BL3’s Mayhem mode seems to be loosely based on TPS’s Mutator mode in the claptastic DLC’s arena.
In the Mutator mode, you could select 3 separate and distinct options, each of which affected the game and what rewards you got: Game mode, Difficulty level and Game modifier.
Mutator had 9 levels of difficulty, which basically amount to the same thing as BL3’s 10 mayhem levels EXCEPT by keeping the difficulty separate from the game mode and modifiers, you could choose low difficulty with harder modifiers or higher difficulty with easier modifiers.

See here for full details: https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/L33t_h4X0rz

So, I’m curious, would players rather have a Mayhem system closer to this? Assume we have difficulty on a slider from 1-10, and 2-4 separate slots, where you can pick modes/modifiers that affect the game, but certain modifiers would come with bonuses.
Either these bonuses could be always on, with things like +5% drop rate if using big heads or +5% damage when using floor is lava or whatever, or they could be more like the mutator and grant bonus loot every so often, only instead of creating a chest to be opened it could just mail you the rewards. And the modifiers that get bonuses would change every so often, to encourage players to try new modifiers.

What do you think?

• I like mayhem as it is
  • I’d like a mutator system with fixed bonuses on specific modifiers
  • I’d like a mutator system with bonuses that affect mailing
  • I’d like a mutator system with changes (give more details in the comments)
  • Just get rid of the whole thing

0 voters

I didn’t like actually playing the mutator arena, but I always liked the idea of it. Some of the modifiers were really fun. The only thing I didn’t like was how lackluster the rewards were at lvl 9. I’d keep the rewards static, but put massive drop rates behind the toughest modifiers. I think that would encourage people to have fun, but also give a reward to those who really push themselves and the system.

4 Likes

Mayhem difficulty doesn’t bother me as much as the inability to choose your modifiers. I think to option to cherry pick would satisfy many complainers. That, or gearbox could keep the randomization and remove some of the more tedious options (elemental immunities and pool party, maybe floor is lava)

4 Likes

I dislike almost every modifier so that’s my main reason for wanting the whole idea scrapped. Ideally they should have just left everything as it was when mayhem 4 was the highest, that was the most fun I had playing since launch and had the best balanced gameplay too imo.

I’d have preferred something akin to digistruct peak over the mutated arena (with more randomized enemy/boss encounters) since the player actually had to progress through the difficulties

3 Likes

I wish the modifiers had pros and cons instead like

• Speed Demon: gain speed but lose some damage
  • Buddy System: current buddy system but you gain increase splash damage,
  • Not the face: lose a lot of crit but gain gun dmg

Instead of just pure penalty or pure bonus.

Also it would be cool if the mods are like use only pistols, or use only snipers mode

4 Likes

That was the old Mayhem system. As fun as it would be, the state of farming/anointments kind of makes this not work

2 Likes

Oh yeah I remember now but back then it was more a bonus instead of really forcing you to use a gun.

pretty clear

1 Like

I wonder whether the people that say leave it as is are truly happy with the state of the game or are just afraid of what fresh hell more changes would bring? Not trying to invalidate anyone’s opinion if they do, that’s just how I feel about mayhem now

2 Likes

Don’t you dare give them any ideas!

3 Likes

Right now I’m running Speed Demon, Healy Avenger, Drone Ranger, and Rogue Lite. These mods provide a nice difficulty boost without changing the gameplay too much. I’d prefer Not The Face as my final modifier, but I spent so much time rerolling for this combo that I just deal with what I’ve got.

2 Likes

Mutator with changes - in the Mutator arena, there wasn’t an option to have no mutators enabled (like you had to pick two). Having three independent sliders for tweaking the game is fan-freakin’-tastic, because you can dial up exactly what you want to do, when you want, and how hard you want.

Gearbox could also add new mayhem modes that may be interesting or even niche without the risk of bloating the current mayhem “dice” (so players who don’t care to randomly roll for them as is done now) can just skip past any new, unwanted additions, where players interested in these can just toggle them on.

3 Likes

get rid of dis shait before community patch does

1 Like

Yeah, I’d want an option to select no modifiers and only difficulty, and to choose little/no difficulty with modifiers. Not being able to turn things off sucks.

They have just announced Mayhem 11, which is mayhem 10 with no modifiers and half the drops. Sounds good, but it still misses the option of having more modifiers with less difficulty. Some people do actually like the modifiers, but the weird restrictions around what types of modifiers you can have for each difficulty level mean that you might have to pick a higher/lower difficulty than you want, or play with modifiers you don’t like/want to get the difficulty you want.

I’m still hoping this is just a stepping stone to a better system where we actually get to customise it fully and choose how we really want to play.

1 Like