Melee Zer0....You Still 0ut There?

Thanks Nat :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I kn0w it’s kinda late, but Happy new year Melee zer0s!

7 Likes

Ninjas still alive…

@Brantron

8 Likes

@abroubtdust20120 is the madman.

7 Likes

Anyone know what roid dmg a perfect lvl 80 Love Thumper would have?

3 Likes

level 80 is the old OP8. check the max stats below

2 Likes

crazy OwO

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

What’s the deal with the blast proof version? Why’s that specifically there? Also I thought about that… It seems the Love Thumper deals dmg in two portions? There’s the initial hit and then a nova? And since the nova is explosive (says on the weapon card) would it get buffed from an explosive relic?

2 Likes

here is testing on the love thmper.

for the shield immunity, it gives immunity to dots but explosive does not give dots. some say blast proof reduces the damage though.

2 Likes

Sure do : Blast Proof comes from a Torgue capacitor and Torgue parts are the second worst for special effect (in this case, roid damage).

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m working on building up my Zero skills and am beginning to take a shine to the melee side of things. I haven’t gone fully over to the “melee Zero” dark side yet, but I’m working towards it.

Anyway, Nat asked me to bring my observations and questions here, just in case there were others in the “melee gang” who would want to chime in.

For Nat - I’m going to look more closely into the hybrid builds you offered. The issue I had with them is that they were often gear dependent, and I don’t like to be strapped down to specific loadouts. Like walking around sporting three Pimps is boring to me.

So, being unsure of how flexible some of these builds are with respect to gear, I get nervous about messing around with them for too long.

As noted in prior correspondence, I’m digging the two fang/kitten build quite a bit, but the lack of cooldown reduction is killing it for me. I doubt I’ll be able to sustain it in UVHM for that reason.

I’ll do some more tweaking and research and see what I come up with. For now, I’m going to try to get all the way to MMF and see what kind of hybrid I can get doing that. I’m totally at sea in the melee tree, though, so I’m bound to do dumb things.

One question here: If I am going to be at least running a “quasi-melee” build with MMF, Execute, Ambush, Backstab, etc., is there a good shield for that that doesn’t involve constantly electrocuting myself and trying to keep my shield down? Just something that works well enough without me having to worry about managing my shield?

I may get around to trying such things in the future, but for now I just want to practice playing, getting more fluid, using deception more efficiently, developing a rhythm, etc.

5 Likes

@Jefe can help you out more.

4 Likes

The only option would be the “always on” one : Love Thumper, but this is a somewhat advanced option. It’s best when you can chain MMF kills without much work (trash mob heavy areas like Southpaw or Pete’s Bar). Typically one uses a low level Crossfire (or purple Bettie) for slag but a slag transfusion is good too.

But I assume this isn’t the answer you’re looking for.

For hybrid the better answer is to stop at Execute and forego MMF since chaining without a roid shield or a way to manage it (telsa/Stormfront/Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning) is very tricky.

The reason is that without a roid, in order to do enough damage, you have to kunai every target and it’s impossible to judge how much is enough but not so much as to kill the target with said kunai, effectively halting the chain. Plus throwing that much will surely backfire and cause self damage, and inevitably, death.

My preferred roid shield for hybrid is the Punchee since it has a short recharge delay and very quick recharge rate. It requires crystals though so any blue or purple with <3 second delay.

A bladed 2-3 barrel shotgun is great for hybrid.

Bloodshed tree :

• Killing Blow : required. 5/5
  • Iron Hand : ok. Skill point dump.
  • Grim : take it if no MMF. Avoid if you take MMF.
  • Be Like Water : skill point dump.
  • Followthrough : required. 5/5
  • Execute : obviously.
  • Backstab : required. 5/5
  • Resurgence : underwhelming. One point only if you have Legendary (or purple) Ninja.
  • Like the Wind : skill point dump.

A typical hybrid (no MMF) build :

https://bl2skills.com/assassin.html#505051200055050145015050515000

Legendary Hunter or Legendary/blue/purple Ninja COM. Modify build to accommodate the COM.

Full disclosure : I haven’t played in almost a year. I’m pretty sure I’m giving you the straight goods though.

4 Likes

Ok, very helpful. That seems to be close to what I came up with (the hybrid build, I mean). Here is what I started with, beginning on UVHM for field testing:

Let me get more specific about my initial impressions (just got past Flynt) to help you out if you want to recommend I change something or other.

First, I’m running a Leg. Hunter and a shock Bone. At this point, I’m not going to bother with anything else (different elements on the Bone are fine, of course), because I need the cooldown just that badly. I tried running a Leg. Killer build yesterday and had a really tough time because of the slower cooldown.

Second, no idea what shield to use. I’m just using a Blockade because it’s kind of tanky. I tried a Bee and got wrecked faster than lightspeed. I’ve got options though - I’ve got elemental Hides, an Antagonist, an Evolution, Love Thumpers, etc. — No Punchee, though. Where do I get that? I can use my Maya to farm for it and give it to my Zero to try out.

Now, let me go more into detail about said experience. My initial impression is that this is a pretty good build for ordinary mobs. I didn’t have much difficulty getting to Boom Bewm and Flynt. But for the bosses? My lord, I went down like a bag of excrement.

Died twice on Boom Bewm, and though I didn’t die on Flynt, it was a fiasco nonetheless - went into FFYL like five times, altogether.

That worries me.

Off the bat, I’m liking MMF even though I’m not using a roid shield. so long as I get at least one melee kill to prolong Deception, it makes me pretty happy. I’m not aiming to chain kills together anyway; I just like having the opportunity, which happens often enough, to get a longer Deception. Does that make sense? Is it silly to waste the points to get there for that reason when they’d be better used elsewhere?

The most controversial skill for me by far is Unforeseen. I don’t know what it is about it, but it always seems to screw me up - something is screwing me up anyway. What happens is, I’ll go into deception, not pay any attention to my decoy, find an enemy, kunai him, line up a shot or melee him - and right when I shoot some explosion goes off and throws off my aim. It’s pretty annoying. And I’m assuming it’s Unforeseen doing that, though I’m now made aware from you that kunai can do that too.

I just don’t know where else to reallocate those points. I don’t want Optics. Precision might be ok, I guess. Kill Confirmed is alright. At One with the Gun is alright. I don’t get anything out of Rising Shot. I tried Two Fang and I don’t like how wasteful it is - it procs my stinginess, so to speak. Be Like Water underwhelms me. Like the Wind, maybe, is an option?

Don’t know. It does seem like Unforeseen would be the best use of those points, but the damn thing just won’t leave me alone lol.

This is my most general issue, actually, insofar as I’ve played with Zero long enough to have real “issues.” Very often I’ll go into Deception, throw kunai at someone, then go in for an Execute, and then there’ll be this huge explosion.

It’s really disorienting and I have no idea what’s happening or where it’s coming from, but I want it to stop. Is it from the Kunai? It can’t be a nova from my shield, because I’m sporting a Blockade. Unforeseen, again?

Whatever it is, that explosion is driving me crazy.

The more specific problem I’m having is slagging. I’m a Maya player primarily, and though I’ve done everything in the game there is to do with her outside of going to OP10, I’ve never, ever, not once used any sort of weapon or grenade for the purposes of slagging. Never had to.

Point is, though in hours played I’m fairly experienced by now with this game, I’m a total noob when it comes to slagging technique, weapons, how to do it, the flow of combat with slagging, etc. Indeed, the raid boss I suck at the most is Haderax, precisely because I find having to slag him difficult (ruin, apparently, doesn’t work).

So I’m always going back and forth: Do I use a Grog, a pimp, a crossfire, a magic missile? How many do I throw? How often? Even when I chuck one of those I’ll slag like two guys at most. And while I’m trying to kill them, some non-slagged psycho comes charging at me.

It feels like I need every weapon in my inventory to be slag elemental.

Perhaps there’s something to that? Could I engage in combat with a slag pimpernel - I mean use it to kill things?

As for other weapons, I like the Kitten a lot with Zero, but the inaccuracy of the thing makes it unreliable. When I try to use a Bitch, it seems to suck with Zero. Doesn’t do with him what it does with Maya.

I’m just looking for more ammo efficient ways to play as Zero. One of the oddities of him is that so many of the weapons he loves are huge ammo hogs - the Twister, the Quad, the Lyuda. I love them all, but when I roll with them I end up focusing more on managing my ammo than on the battlefield. It’s not how I enjoy playing.

So I’m experimenting with Bitches, Kittens, the Amigo (that one I’ve had good results with), the Bekah, Conference Calls, Interfacers, etc.

Haven’t found anything wonderful, though that could be because of my build. The Amigo, honestly, is my favorite gun with Zero bar none. I feel warm and cozy when I can lay back, spam deception, and blow people’s heads off.

That’s the status report. Apologies for going on and on; I just wanted to give you enough detail to know what my problems and interests are.

4 Likes

try fastball as a grenade to whittle down the health of badasses.

for inspiration mmf chains for days in the bar by bew

4 Likes

Dude, what the actual hell is that?

How does one do that? One would like to know.

5 Likes

you liked it didn’t you.

you can also do that.

5 Likes

Liked it? Loved it. Want more of it.

4 Likes

well you are in the right place.

here is an mmf guide from the master itself (strikerz) one of the smoothest melee zero players and regarded by many as the best.

6 Likes

Merci beaucoup, good sir. I’m going to study this now. With childlike glee.

EDIT: Ok, after watching this video, I’m pretty certain the explosions I’m referring to are from the kunai. I’m still not entirely sure, because I recall the explosions happening at the end of Deception, whereas in the video it seems to happen when you go for the kill too soon, but I’ll have to field test it to be sure.

Very helpful.

One question - what shield is he using there?

5 Likes