I’d like to lay out a few ideas for this beta in a beta that is being planned so participants all have a proper understanding of what is changing, what needs to be tested, and how to make suggestions and provide proper feedback. But first a few questions.
How long will each mod run before new changes are implemented? Will we get a full week? 2 weeks? Or would we get daily changes?
How long do you expect the full meta beta to run (or how much time do we have to accomplish this?)
How large will each group of changes be per mod change? There are pros and cons to each. Small changes allow for faster testing and rapid iteration, while large changes allow for more things to be tested at once, but need more time for testing in general and risk making iterative changes to the big beta harder.
How will changes be committed to big beta? Will we iterate the meta beta until it is a finished deliverable to be updated all at once? Or will each iteration be committed to the big beta.
And finally some suggestions on communication, idea submission, and feedback/new bug.
This part I would love suggestions to, and depends a lot on answers to the questions above, but regardless of method, I think the following format would be a good way to keep topics separate, organized, and trackable.
Create a master Meta Beta thread (would be best if a mod or dev could do this, but I will if you do not have time). The top post of this thread would serve as a table of contents to threads relevant to the meta beta and track progress and decisions, plus server as a history to why changes were made.
Agree on a common language of change category, I was thinking something along the lines of Research, Production, Performance, Misc.
Research would be anything tech tree related including pre-requisites, time, and cost.
Production would be anything build related including time, cost, and where from it’s built.
Performance would encompass the most to include changes to ship statics (HP, DMG, Speed, AI, Flight patters, etc) I assume we will spend the most time on this.
Misc. is the catch all for whatever doesn’t fit in the above.
The master thread would then look something like this:
Meta Beta Master Thread
Description/instruction on how to participate in mod on steam, and how to submit suggestions and feedback within this framework
Research Balance Threads
- link to thread - HC and Carrier research take too long [change implemented and being tested]
- link to thread - Ion should be a pre-req for destroyers [Feedback closed, no change implemented]
Production Balance Threads
- link to thread - Reducing cost of research ship by x [More feedback required]
- link to thread - List of small cost tweaks for corvettes [Feedback closed, implemented into Big beta]
Performance Balance Threads
- link to thread - HW1 fighter flight path adjustment suggestions [More feedback required]
- link to thread - Increased armor suggestion for HW1 frigates [Change implemented and being tested]
- link to thread - Hig BC vs Vaygr BC range [Change scheduled for next iteration]
- link to thread - This framework sucks I like big argumentative mega threads [more feedback required]