Mission Map - Custom Scenes, AI use of Cloak Hyperspace Gates random attack paths, and some fun Objectives

Log writing is extremely expensive in terms of performance. I would strongly suggest turning most of it off for the release version.

Yup that is the plan, I have it all labeled with “DEV” for easy to remove. I have so many functions I decided to write the start and strop of each fucntion so I could make sure everything has a clear exit.

I have have lots of on going functions for AI brain that I was testing.

I have gotten my AI to:
*Randomly evade via hyperspace, random move locations, and cloak(and allowing cloak to recharge enough to use again).
*Send patrols to random locations based in on some “secret” criteria.
*Repair and regroup (though turning this off for the mission)
*Send hyperspace gates through the map and use them for flank attacks.
*Mine locations all over the map.

So yeah… all the ongoing processes and each one with its own PRINT TO LOG for start, stop, etc is crazy!

-B8factor

2 Likes

What you could do, is to put all your debug messages under a condition, like if debug==1 then print("xxxx") endif, and set the debug var in the beginning of the file.
It would be easier for you to go from debug mode to “normal” mode, to test if this heavy logging is sometime part of your problems or not (and also easier to deactivate for release).
That’s what I had done in one of my previous mod.

2 Likes

I thought about that, but with search/replace it is just as easy for me to say
Search

print(* --WFB DEV

and REPLACE

–print(* --WFB DEV

for every file in my MOD.

And I only have a single line of code for each instance of a print. Search And replace is something I use a lot in my UE and Eclipse so I am use to writing code with it in mind ahead of time. I have done that so much that I have my own “standard” syntax to make my life easier down the way.

But your method works well to.

Thanks

1 Like

I think i have a solution for this for scene later in the map. I am going to try it tonight.

I will make a new function and attack to the TAB key. Since I will know at what level of the tactical overlay the player starts with when the map starts (At least the first time the game is loaded).

Then any time the player hits TAB 2 things will happen. 1) it will change the tactics for them. 2) my function will run also to keep tack of where they are… I think.

Then when I need to turn off again… I know how many times to run:

EDIT-------
DING DING DING, it worked. I Can now tell… at any given moment, what tactical overlay the player is on and adjust for the next in game scene!

1 Like

Is UI_BindKeyEvent still working ? I seem to remember a previous discussion with @BitVenom about being careful with it, because it could become unsupported in the future…

After some research, here it was : [SOLVED][UI] newtaskbar.lua buttons

It is, right now it is being used in the campaign in multi locations. I use it for development all the time as I can toggle developer functions on the fly inside playing the game.

1 Like

Okay fellow MODers, if you got 45 minutes to spare… ha ha Hardy har har… what moder has 45 spare MINUTES! Anyway, I am just days away from releasing this map. I need some feedback on a play through while the wife and I wrap up the last audio dubs.

The mission IS HARD! I know the general rule of thumb is that if the developer thinks it is hard it is TOO HARD. But I believe Homeworld has been around long enough to have developed some very good players.

Give it a go! Give me some feedback. Let me get this MOD out the door so I can regain my weekends back… right wife! @Gameg1rl hehe

I still need a tad of tweaking on the stats but here is my last play through.

2 Likes

Question for LUA ppl out there… this is my first lua project. How do I show time in 9.99 format?

here is my code:

g_totaltime = format("%u", Stats_TotalDuration() / 60)

I think this is what you’re looking for re: formatting.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/2679-luaquestion-limiting-decimal-places-of-a-variable-after-a-calculation/

Edit: to speak to the map, I like it! Great camera work, though the opening cinematic seems to run too long and have too many redundancies or people inquiring about things they should already know. That will probably end up being very subjective though.

Gameplay is fun, and it has that same “throwing everything at you constantly” feeling that stock missions like Sarum Shipyards has - good job there. I did notice a possible glitch or cheese though - after the opening cinematic, it seems like allied ships don’t take any damage until you contact and activate them? I watched a Hiig BC soak up Vay BC trinity cannons with no effect.

Edit 2: Oh and I did get my butt kicked, but only of my own accord - some HMF’s snuck up behind my carrier and blew it to bits when my fleet went off to rescue Sakala.

1 Like

g_totaltime = gsub(format("%.2f", Stats_TotalDuration() / 60), “%.00”, “”)

should do the trick.

format("%.2f", Stats_TotalDuration() / 60) should work alone, but sometimes it will give something like 2.270000000001 and screw the display (it’s due to floating point approximation)
That’s why I use gsub(x, "%.00", "") to force the elimination of any unwanted additionnal characters.

1 Like

perfect! thanks.

1 Like

I just finished playing this wonderful map.

The cutscenes are really amazing, I had no idea that this was possible without the “real” NIS.
As @sastrei said, it has a strong vanilla singleplayer feel to it, which is great.

While picking up all of the allied groups, I managed to capture some BCs and Destroyers.
I sent my first marine frigate that was meant to dock with the Sakala to capture a BC by mistake, I was so happy that I had another chance. :slight_smile:

I was struggling to keep my Kapisi alive, these surprise attacks that just show up when attacking were deadly.
When the “overpowered Vaygr killing strike group” jumped in, my main fleet was chilling at the Sakala at the other end of the map, because I totally didn’t expect that to happen. :smile:
Also, that cutscene was magnificent.

So I somehow managed to delay the destruction of the Kapisi while my cruisers were on the way through that damn minefield. This was only possible because the enemy Battlecruisers were firing at the engine subsystem most of the time. :joy:

I couldn’t try to capture the hyperspace gates, as I used my frigate facility to build a fire control tower (that probably saved me) and all of my marine frigates were destroyed. (except for the one “glitching” around at the Sakala)

Also, it took me a while to realize that the dust clouds look like Gehenna. ^^

Score

I can translate the text to German, if you want.

Kapisi and Sakala?
…I give up my lore police tendencies.

2 Likes

@b8factor and I could do French if needed

1 Like

I did notice a possible glitch or cheese though - after the opening cinematic,

As part of the mission I have allied(7 of them) and Vaygr SOB groups doing battle all around and want the player to rescue them. At first attempt they all killed each other too fast. So I added a function to have them only take damage 20 seconds of every minute until rescued. the effect is suppose to make them last longer but still allow one to become victor if the player never heads that way. I believe that should not interfere with the human player but it can hurt the AI player if the AI tried to engage a SOB group of the allies to be rescued.

-B8

2 Likes

yea yea i know, hehe. I originally did that because I was going to try to extract all the Desert of Kharak audio bites. I thought I could add some original high quality audio dubs to the mission that way cheaply. I just did not have time to figure out the diss-unity tools.

Also, I really wanted to switch all the HWRM ship chatter with Kharack… I think that would really add a lot to HWRM!

I am working on story polish, I may be able to do some name changes with that… just running out of time. :frowning:

1 Like

To be honest, I think that the squads are too strong.
I waited quite a long time before I “recruited” them, but they were all fine. Too fine.

On the other hand, it took me about 4 tries to finish the mission. The difficulty was very good overall.

Some ideas to consider about difficulty level:

• I think the key term for mission making is REPLAYABILITY, so no problem on being a HARD mission
  • I wouldn’t consider this mission a first one for a campaign, not because of difficulty level, but because it’s a big volume with so many units.
  • I think making the player exploring the map, giving some time to create a learning curve for the mission itself might be more pleasant or immersive
1 Like

cutscenes are really amazing

thank you, they take a LONG time to make… hehe, though with your map tool i can do them in about half the time now. Still about two weeks per scene.

I managed to capture some BCs and Destroyers

Is an important part of the mission since you can not build them. :slight_smile:

cutscene was magnificent

I JUST started that scene, still working on the audio for it… and maybe a few minor visual tweaks.

dust clouds look like Gehenna

I always liked the Gehenna mission and thought there was a lot more battle to be had there. I have toggled back over to orange, but the visuals(ship colors) are horrible with that background. :frowning:

It is a 2 character change to switch it back, i have done it a few times but the scenes are all ruined. So i went with a clearer sky.

can translate the text to German

Will take you up on that when I am done with the audio and text files.

thanks!

1 Like