[MOD] BrickSpace - Update 04/25 - Even more Blacktron!

Howdy gang! The first edition of BrickSpace for HWR is now available!

As this is v0.1a, CPU AI has not yet been implemented. Future releases are going to expand the Classic Space fleet, and add Blacktron and Ice Planet ships, each with their own unique fleet compositions.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417421485

11 Likes

I am really looking forward to what you might do with Shipbreakers. There were so many cool land vehicles in the lego space series…

1 Like

If it ends up being moddable, I would be all over that. It’s a great idea! :smiley:

AI seems to be working now. I’ve watched both factions fight out a few battles so far. Still lots of tweaks and additions to come, of course, but the mod has been updated as of today. Enjoy!

3 Likes

not seeing my two favorite blacktron ships, also it would be really cool to have modular ships… too bad I don’t see an easy way to swap out parts in the current game

2 Likes

For modular ships, just make each module buildable, I suppose? So it pops out a cockpit that can’t move, then you build an engine for it, etc.

Blacktron II is a planned future addition. In the meantime, I dug out the old heavy interceptor mesh. :smiley:

2015-05-05_00001

@sastrei - so you’ve been doing HW:R mods as long as anyone here - hell I think you saw some of this before most people (@ PAX) - do you have any thoughts/comments/feedback?

I was also thinking that we should explore how to get the ‘studs’ back on your ships… I keep thinking that some sort of instanced mesh system could do it, and be handy.

1 Like

Goblins for studs?

I really don’t know. I don’t think Goblins are ideal - they are an extra draw, and waste time when drawing during ‘fade out’ phase.

My ideal would be an instanced single stud - each stud is just an XYZ, Normal, and single UV (aka a rich Point). Then a fixed mesh is pumped out based on that at the Geo-shader level (which yes the engine supports but isn’t used so far). Clean, fast, optimal. And then, based on distance the geo-shader can ‘scale’ them down to nothing and not draw any when they’re too far away.

It would be a really interesting experiment, if nothing else.

1 Like

Intriguing. The same approach could be used with turrets and other repeating features if it was implemented…

Not quite - that would require actual mesh instancing. For lego studs the geo-shader would use the pos/normal to orient a ‘hard coded’ stud (or just build it via math, it’s a pretty basic shape) - and set the UV to that of the point (so that it matched the underlying surface map properties).

For something more ‘rich’ like a turret you have to setup a material stack and draw a proper mesh - often as well they’re multi-part and animate - so you’d have to do that as well.

Though, I have been thinking about some amount of support for weighted/matrix palette display.

I would be interested in a generalized greeble geometry shader for some areas of large ships or background meshes

I’m game to test out the stud instancing! I’ve got a normal mapped stud mesh handy. And I made my ships compatible with such a system this time around in terms of textures. Would the ships need markers added to specify where the studs will go?

Feedback re: modding HWR…so from my perspective we’re getting everything we’ve always wanted as regards developer support, new features, etc. Most of my issues so far have been the result of my own inexperience, or I’ve run into issues with Access Violations instead of General Failures, which take longer to troubleshoot.

I’ve been very focused on ship-oriented content creation so far. Haven’t tested background creation, new programming, or much else.

Edit: And a video to see some of the ships in action:

2 Likes

Apologies for the double post - got a new vid to share, and a preview of the next new ship model.

6780 XT Starship

2 Likes

Awesome! Though it looks like some of the ships either need smaller collision boxes or use the targeting offsets in the ship files so that beams don’t fire around them.

It would be really cool to have some loose brick pieces as debris in the fx files too, come to think of it having explosions like the Lego movie might be something a shader could post process if images don’t look good (thinking a pixelation filter)

Awesome! Though it looks like some of the ships either need smaller collision boxes or use the targeting offsets in the ship files so that beams don’t fire around them.

Yeah, I realized most of my Blacktron ships had T or L shaped collision boxes, so everything tried to aim straight through the empty center. I’ve lopped off the wings and pylons for most of the CM’s and they die a lot better now. :smile:

It would be really cool to have some loose brick pieces as debris in the fx files too, come to think of it having explosions like the Lego movie might be something a shader could post process if images don’t look good (thinking a pixelation filter)

LEGO Movie style effects would be interesting. I may change the hit effects to remove the debris sprays, instead making it look more like molten metal or plastic, but I do plan to have the ships explode into appropriate brick debris. Got a really big spreadsheet all drawn up of a representative debris selection. X_x

So I ran into an interesting thing when fiddling with engine glows. But first, my nifty heavy corvette with several distinct engine glow meshes, and two different trail types.

2015-05-31_00006

Now for the quirks.

This:

setEngineTrail(NewShipType,0,3.6,"trail_ribbon2.tga",0.02,1.2,0.005,2);
setEngineTrail(NewShipType,1,3.6,"trail_ribbon2.tga",0.05,1.2,0.005,2);
setEngineBurn(NewShipType,35,0.5,1,40,0.8,0.1,0.1,50);
setEngineGlow(NewShipType,1,1,1.02,20,300,50,1.5,{0.27, 0.47, .69, 0.25});

Gives me this:
2015-05-31_00003

While this (setEngineGlow commented out):

setEngineTrail(NewShipType,0,3.6,"trail_ribbon2.tga",0.02,1.2,0.005,2);
setEngineTrail(NewShipType,1,3.6,"trail_ribbon2.tga",0.05,1.2,0.005,2);
setEngineBurn(NewShipType,35,0.5,1,40,0.8,0.1,0.1,50);
--setEngineGlow(NewShipType,1,1,1.02,20,300,50,1.5,{0.27, 0.47, .69, 0.25});

Gives me this:
2015-05-31_00005

Put another way, with the setEngineGlow line turned off, the game draws both the engine burn and engine glow, and looks nicer.

@scole or @bitvenom, any ideas what’s going on there? Does the engine simply pick one or the other, and I’m taking advantage of a glitch by including both without telling it?

Sorry for the double post as always. :smile:

Ice Planet is back! Still working on restoring weapons systems and animations, but my current thoughts are that all the missile launcher ships will have a researchable regular missile launcher with a researchable special nuke missile ability.

And now making extensive use of Tefeari’s old engine trail textures! :smiley:

6973 Deep Freeze Defender

4 Likes

Homeworld and Lego still go together so incredibly well; not unlike the way that basically any already cool thing and Lego go together! It reminds me of how I have pictures of a (now kind of old) 3D Lego model of a Taiidan Carrier I should probably put somewhere on this site, and a handful of real brick HW models I should probably take pictures of.

Anyway, you should know that your mod has great historical significance; the Classic Space era predates my exposure to Legos, so I would have very little knowledge of this material otherwise, and I’m sure there’s any number of other Lego-lovers who can say the same. That box set that EvilleJedi shared a photo of is the only one I had previously known about, and actually recreated using Leocad for a project one time, 'cause it was a sweet design and a fitting Easter-egg.

1 Like

Wow, I used to have that ship! Nostalgia overload!

2 Likes