[MOD] Homeworld Fulcrum 0.3.0.0: Single player mission available

(REARM V2) #345

I can make a complete sentence using that list alone:

Taiidan Republic Flag Commander, REARM At Battlestar Galactica.

And all I did was named five Homeworld mods.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #346

Why didn't you just choose another arbitrary non-alphanumeric character? I would have liked Homeworld:)

(REARM V2) #347

So why is it Homeworld:@ actually?
Don't tell me just to appear first in an alphabetical list. :slight_smile:

(REARM V2) #348

Oh there would be so many accidental emoticons.

Just like on the BBI forum when you type Homeworld :smiley: eserts of Kharak without a space in front of the D.

(Stuart98) #349

Guys, seriously, what day is it?

(Chimas) #350

I think @ was a way to say "it's the other 2 guy", you know they both share the same key, so it's how HW2 should have been.

\edit
ah yes, I totally forgot that. It could be April's fool, that's the meaning of the double colon. Run Siber, the peasants are gonna get you, I'm seeking for my torch now ...

(REARM V2) #351

Everyone with exception of Chimas was in on the joke, so who are you talking to? You don't think I wanted to rename to "REARM: RELOAD" and have the player to click on every single ship each time it fires.

(Chimas) #352

Funny thing, it was everywhere and I didn't see it ...

(doci7) #353

That's my understanding too. The @ is just "shift-2". The ALTERNATE Homeworld 2. That's Homeworld @ at its core.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #354

That's deep

(Hell_Diguner) #355

Make it open world, add microtransactions, and add role-playing + grind treadmill systems or I'll cancel my preorder and season pass.

(Siber) #356

Yeah, the @ was a result of typing HW2:2 too fast several times and then just deciding to go with it.

The replies here have been great, made me smile quite a bit reading them. After posting it I was kicking myself for not thinking to do a spin on the full title of Dwarf Fortress, "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress". Slaves to Hodor, etc...

Though, like much of comedy, this joke was based in truth. We've been considering a rename for a while, mostly for reasons outlined humorously yesterday. Most search engines will ignore both @ and At in a search, so searching for it on the steam workshop is pretty futile. It's a bit of a problem, but we haven't selected a single alternative yet. Renaming a project you've been working on for 8+ years is hard.

Edit: I don't actually mind the hank hill references though :slight_smile:

(REARM V2) #357

To me the HW:@ has just so interesting nostalgic spin of its designs, that I would call it something along the lines of "Homeworld Essence".
Which, while without the ":" is even a slight play on words, probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
But what I mean by that is that Homeworld:@ mod is like a playable Homeworld memory.

Or maybe like Homeworld: Vision. Both in the sense of concept of something that might have been and as a term for a mind's experience.

But it's all based on my personal feeling, so I don't expect anyone else to identify with it.

(Siber) #358

I appreciate any and all input based on people's personal feelings! A name that reflects how people feel about the mod would be a good thing, and that's only possible if those feelings are shared. Also "Homeworld:@ mod is like a playable Homeworld memory." probably goes on the list of nicest things anyone has said about the mod.

(Chimas) #359

Try this approach:

• Why should I play your mod?

The answer could be related to the name list you're looking for ...

(Hell_Diguner) #360

No matter how you slice it, HW@ ships are really out-there. I have a hard time reconciling your Kushan with Homeworld's art style. I think... "THAT is future Kushan?" I've never seen the art style used for your Vaygr (Chris Foss / Peter Elson copycats) translated into a video game before. Your Taiidan are the most orthodox; they're in line with Kambeitz's art style. And then you have the Frerrn who most closely resemble certain sub-genres of modern sci-fi.

The sheer variety is really quite something. Reminds me of the Renaissance. Perhaps you should go with a title grounded in the storyline of your mod.

(Siber) #361

The mod is now playable on the current version of HWR. It is not perfectly refined to take advantage of all the new possibilities, and there are some known rough spots, such as many ships having their visual effects currently disabled. This should be refined over time, but the priority for this release was to fix the crashes and make formations work with our ships again. Which they do. The update is available on steam, and will make it's way onto moddb before too long.

(Siber) #362

and now the downloads are up on moddb too, for anyone who wants to play with the GOG version.

(Siber) #363

After much debate about our options, and how to go about picking one, we’ve whittled it down to five favorite name options. Now that we’ve got it down to that short list, we’d like to get the opinions of our fans. I’ve put together a poll at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SB9QYJX, where you can weigh in. The winner of this poll isn’t going to automatically be the name of the mod in the end, but knowing what people think will inform our final decision, and there is an area for you to submit text comments on the options if you’d like to make arguments for or against anything.

(Chimas) #364

I suggest to add a link to HW@ backstory, so ppl can understand why those 5 options.