[MOD] Homeworld Fulcrum 0.3.0.0: Single player mission available

(REARM V2) #486

Yeah it does look bigger.

(doci7) #487

Note: the Light Fighter to which the Heavy Fighter is supposed to be comparably heavier is not pictured… since it doesn’t exist.

Vaygr have Light Fighters in place of Scouts and Heavy Fighters in place of Interceptors. They are both cheaper than their equivalents, which I suppose is what merits the differing names. This is a system that was already in place before I started working on this, so I wasn’t about to question it. But I guess I assumed everyone else was familiar enough with the existing Vaygr WIP fleet to have already known about all of this, and that seems to have been a poor assumption.

(Siber) #488

As of now, all the voice recording needed for the mission I’ve been working on should be done, barring any unforseen issues that crop up while processing it. The mission should also be code complete unless I’ve forgotten something. Now it’s just hopefully a matter of testing, tedious audio processing, a little art production and a bit more polish.

Thought that would be worth mentioning, even if I can’t take any pretty pictures of it. But I can take pretty pictures of something else.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/136626781368232111/A9512A68CD2F4CCEF4C2BB709C6579F4E638782B/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/136626781370962961/F4AB5F925A529D20B48DA886909A93C3A2AC599B/

(Chimas) #489

Now that you mentioned audio, we really could have one THREAD ABOUT BATTLE CHATS, where WE all record our take on things like “breach in starboard fusion chamber” and other new ones, that anyone can use in their mods, whenever they feel like doing it. It would be an open compilation, we just need to know some recording specs, softs and some tricks. Probably, @b8factor can guide us on this, it doesn’t have to be a totally serious activity.

(Siber) #490

Interesting proposal. I was already considering making a thread to compare notes with @b8factor about audio stuff, and HWF has long wanted to augment/replace the stock HW2 battle chatter as we found it fairly lacking compared to the HW1 stuff. I worry a bit about the logistics of such an undertaking, as getting the files around and keeping them organized would be non-trivial, and converting raw voice acting to game lines is time consuming… but it’s probably worth discussing.

(B8factor) #491

@Chimas
@EatThePath

In a nutshell here is some info I have. I am not expert on audio though, I stumbled my way through it just like I did LUA coding.

BATTLE CHATTER

Original in my single player map I wanted to replace as much battle chatter as I could with the DoK chatter. A good percentage of it can be used. The problem is they are WAV files and the battle chatter in HWRM are FDA. Reading some of the other posts, and comments from BitVenom in them, it was not clear to me how to appropriately change several WAV files into FDAs.

There are things I do not understand about “sound in space” in regards to how the engine pipes them in and plays the different formats. It was something I wanted to dive into but the mission MOD produced too many tangents of knowledge to master and this is one I passed on for that round.

NOTE: with help from people and “AssetsBundleExtractor”, I was able to get all the WAV files out of DoK. Several of them can also be used for “story telling” with HWRM Characters. They made a plethora of sound files!

SINGLE PLAYER CHARACTERS

Wife and I wanted to add dialog for the players to help with single player immersion. The problem is we are not professional actors with rich charismatic voices… as matter of fact we also wanted to hide some of our USA southern accent, haha.

What we did was record voices with a nice MIC (AT2020USB). I did not buy a pop filter so we stretched a light t-shirt over a frame in front of the MIC to assist in better sound recording. We then used Audacity to post process the sound. We wanted my wife’s voice to be the human player’s ship AI (yes… @Pouk HW universe wise that might have been a stretch hehe, but it was an easier way to get a female voice in the game in a manner we could tweak). We used this utube video to do her voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zba9VV7vbbc

IMPORTANT NOTE: Our recordings were spread over an entire month and across 2 separate computers, 1 with the MIC and both doing post processing with Audacity. So the settings for the MIC Recording need to be consistent. Also, making sure Audacity MIC recording is set the same(for us full volume) is equally important.

My voice, representing the Vaygr, we wanted to be more like a Star Wars Sith character so we used this utube for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN2afJT83hE

We also used some of the HWRM battle chatter to represent ally characters. To set it apart from the in game battle chatter we converted the FDA to WAV with Winamp and used utube (I uncharacteristically forgot to save the link for later use) to add radio noise in the recording. It is subtle but I really liked the effect. Actually I think it made the existing battle chatter sound more like DoK battle chatter. It is at the end of the OPENING scene if you want to hear.

SHIP SOUNDS

I did cherry pick several of the in game ship sounds and copied them into my MOD and modified the LUA to raise the volume so the sound would be louder for the purpose of trying to give the player a bit more immersion of being in a LARGE active battle. If we had an NIS editor, I imagine the scenes could be amplified in volume separate from the original game but since I used in game units for my scenes this was a “tweak” to get more from it.

Example of my replaced vbattlecrusieramb.lua: (I increased the distance the sound could be heard from so there would be more and louder battle sounds for the player.)

[details=Summary]> – This file is generated automatically by the Relic Audio Tool

version = 4

loopStart = 3328
loopEnd = 163072
envelope = {
{
distance = 0.000000,
volume = 0.695000,
reverb = 0.000000,
duration = 0,
equalizer = {
}
},
{
distance = 1833.333313,
volume = 0.620000,
reverb = 0.000000,
duration = 0,
equalizer = {
}
},
{
distance = 2766.666626,
volume = 0.565000,
reverb = 0.000000,
duration = 0,
equalizer = {
}
},
{
distance = 3733.333252,
volume = 0.490000,
reverb = 0.000000,
duration = 0,
equalizer = {
}
},
{
distance = 4766.666748,
volume = 0.000000,
reverb = 0.000000,
duration = 0,
equalizer = {
}
},
}
randSampContainer = 0[/details]

One Ship sound i wanted to change but just could not find an appropriate sound is the Vaygr Battle Cruisers main cannon. For such a magnificent weapon it has a very under-powered sound. I wanted the human player to feel FEAR when they heard a BC near them… hehe maybe I am just a bit too melodramatic?

That really is a concise wrap up of what, for us, was months of research and work. Re-reading it now… it does not feel like all that work produced much new knowledge for you guys, but it did get our mission map produced.

And interesting side note, we have had mixed reviews on my wife’s AI voice. Some people did not like it as much other people raved about it and wanted more of it. It got me wondering if some of that was the language the listener originally spoke or their in game volume settings? Don’t really know but it was interesting.

-B8factor and @Gameg1rl

Voice acting and processing
(doci7) #492

Thank you for that monumental bit of shared insight, @b8factor! I haven’t read it yet, since I’m not personally immediately concerned with audio work, but I certainly appreciate your willingness to share your insights in such depth.

And now, I’m going to show a bit of work here. Since holding back the recent Vaygr project until I was basically done with it didn’t prove to be particularly inspiring, I’ll try to be more transparent with my work:

All I’m authorized to texture right now is the kinetic turrets, so I’m texturing the heck out of them.

(B8factor) #493

what is the length of this unit?

(doci7) #494

109 meters. It’s just a frigate… it didn’t occur to me that the Missile Destroyer made it look BIIIIIIIIIIG, lolol. The target is just way above the plane, so the Destroyer is actually really far below the subject.

(Stuart98) #495

@b8factor If you look at the Homeworld 2 Classic Complex Mod, it should have a nice Vagyr battlecruiser sfx.

(B8factor) #496

I played that for near a year but for the life of me cant remember what it sounded like!

(doci7) #497

Here’s the turret, by itself, almost finished:
Assault Turret (View in 3D)

And also another old project that I made some progress on, which, like the turret, is neither complete in and of itself nor extremely exciting, but here it is anyway:

Taiidan Republic RU Tank (View in 3D)

(Not actually Jesus Christ) #498

Is this around the same size as the Taiidan Resource Collectors?

(Siber) #499

probably not exactly, but it should be similar in size.

(Siber) #500

I need to figure out how to integrate the camera position getting code that @b8factor used to finish polishing up my own little intro sequence…

(B8factor) #501

I did not quite understand the question… Can you elaborate?

When dealing with Camera’s I use 2 things:
1 Camera XYZ position is very helpful, see this post: [SOLVED] Camera X, Y, Z query

With it I can get the Camera code to place in LEVEL file so what you see in the map is what the audience will see. I use it all the time! Thanks to everyone in that post that created it! @radar3301 @Dwarfinator

2 I use @PayDay tool to create scenes. Also use this tool all the time!

If this is what you are referring to I can do two things, this week I can try to write up an example and post with pictures of how I use them. I can also zip up the code for #1 above and place in a zip with install instructions?

Let me know if that will help?

EDIT: The above is for in game items… just occurred to me you may have been talking about CamActions? Which currently is only good for making videos to post, it can not (to my knowledge) be scripted yet for in game replication without user executing it via UI.

(Siber) #502

The first is what I was remembering, I’m not sure what payday tool you’re talking about in 2 but I’d be curious to know more. I can probably re-implement 1 from the information in that thread in the next few days, I’m just uncertain if it’s worth the effort since what I’m planning on doing is a lot simpler than what you’ve done, but it’d probably be worth it in the long term. A simple zip of it would probably be sufficient, I doubt I’ll need particularly extensive instructions.

Cam actions are something I’m curious about but don’t seem relevant to what I’m working on right now.

(B8factor) #503
  1. Is really easy to add in and remove. And it is convenient because it give the XYZ for a camera without a lot of guess work. I love that.

2. The PayDay tool is his MapTool for making maps. Simple stated I add tiny spheres in the map to represent Cameras, Ships, or any other kind of artifact so I get a sort of blueprint of how everything is set up when the player comes into the game. When doing scenes the camera is usually very close up so it is hard for me to gauge XYZ of all the artifacts in my mind, for a scene, so I like to see it in the map tool to get a better understanding.

3. CamActions are very cool for making pilot view, space ship pitching, and fly bys of action taking place but I can not yet integrate that into the scenes because I can not get it to work via LUA code. But you can use it to take cool videos, my utube has 3 examples of this.

(Siber) #504

Aha, thanks for the clarifications

(Siber) #505

No need to zip anything up, I got the thing up and running this morning. Work progresses!