MOD: Increased view distance for HW1 (plus some other stuff from other people)

OKAY!
I have spectacularly increased the view distance in the original version of Homeworld 1!

The tiny white wedge is your scounts; the camera is centered on the Mothership.

The tiny white trail is your resourcer; the camera is centered on the scouts.

To give you an example of the scale of change, if you play the first mission and your view is centered on your Mothership, you can now see all the drones jumping in for you to attack.

Oh, you’ll have to start a new game for this to work, or it won’t correctly load the updated .mission files.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9670741/Dash-C.7z

[quote]
This archive contains three major components.
If you don’t wish to use one, simply do not extract those files.
The unofficial patch in particular will overwrite various default files; back them up before extracting.

Note that this has had only limited testing; I haven’t played through the whole campaign using it yet, so later missions may encounter problems.
Certain ships will disappear from view unusually early, as they have customised render settings; I’ll fix those in a later version. (Maybe.)

This was made for the original release of Homeworld 1, and has not been tested with Gearboxes Classic release.

1. My tweaks to increase view distance.
    CONSISTING OF FOLDERS:
    singleplayer\mission##
  • all of which should contain a “mission##.mission” file

AND FILES:
camera.script
tweak.script

The “tweak.script” file is modified to increase the following variables:
RENDER_VIEWABLE_DISTANCE_SQR
RENDER_MAXVIEWABLE_DISTANCE_SQR
RENDER_VIEWABLE_FADE
RENDER_MAXVIEWABLE_FADE
BG_RADIUS
RENDER_LIMIT_[SHIP TYPE]
RENDER_FADE_[SHIP TYPE]

The “camera.script” file is modified to increase the CAMERA_CLIP_FAR variable.

The various “.mission” files are modified to increase the following variables:
smDepthCueRadius
smDepthCueStartRadius

In combination, these changes increase the viewing distance by a significant amount.

1. The Unofficial 1B05S02 patch by forums user “Ten” (gardenkeeper@yandex.ru)
    CONSISTING OF FILES:
    Homeworld.exe
    Update.big
    devstats.dat
    rgld3d.dll
    commandLine.txt
    Readme_Patch_1B05S02_EN.txt

This patch provides more robust support for widescreen resolutions and fixes various other graphical problems.
I recommend the OpenGL renderer.

1. The TrueScale Mod by “JAL-18”
    CONSISTING OF FOLDERS:
    derelicts
    p1
    p2
    p3
    r1
    r2
    traders

AND FILE:
Truescale MOD Readme.txt

This mod disables N-LIPs, the functionality which causes small ships to increase in size as you zoom out for easier visibility.[/quote]

EDIT: I have now had feedback from other users stating that this does not work with the Gearbox Classic release; that version of the game does not allow loose files to override the .big files. As such, this mod will only function correctly with the original release of Homeworld 1.
If anyone figures out how to extract/override the Classic .big files however, the changes I listed in the Readme should still function the same way, so it would not be difficult to do yourself.

1 Like

So this does not affect the sensors distance, right?

It shouldn’t.
I don’t know for sure whether or not you’ll be able to physically see ships before they appear on sensors though; it may be that you can now spot things before your sensors pick them up.

Edit: Yeah. They’re hiding in the asteroid belt.