Mod porting issue

I’m getting a general error crash upon launching my mod which was functional in the previous HWRM edition. The error log points to the unitcaps file in the scripts and complains about a reference to global ‘UC_FamilyOverride’ (a nil value) but the cited lines aren’t in the file- I replaced the unit caps files with those from the update. It then says "Unknown mesh group type (1) – FATAL EXIT – basicmesh/602:! --stack trace-- " - That’s an error I am unfamiliar with. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Altering the unit caps files has had no effect in fixing the crash.

For the curious, here’s the end of the log:
LUA ‘data:Scripts\Rules\DEATHMATCH\UnitCaps\DEFAULT.LUA’ – parameter: attempt to call global UC_FamilyOverride' (a nil value) stack traceback: 1: main of string "" at line 2 LUA 'data:Scripts\Rules\DEATHMATCH\UnitCaps\DEFAULT.LUA' -- parameter: attempt to call globalUC_FamilyOverride’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
1: main of string “” at line 2
LUA ‘data:Scripts\Rules\DEATHMATCH\UnitCaps\DEFAULT.LUA’ – parameter: attempt to call global `UC_FamilyOverride’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
1: main of string “” at line 2
Unknown mesh group type (1) – FATAL EXIT – basicmesh/602:! --stack trace–
Restoring video mode
Display: (0, 0, 100, 100) - (8, 31)

Again, nothing in that script calls for the UC_FamilyOverride. It’s literally a copy-paste from the current unit caps asset.

This is not what is crashing your game.

This is.

Granted, the first problem is slightly annoying to see in the log files, but it doesn’t particularly harm anything (so to speak).

I’d imagine that you haven’t converted your HODs to the new HOD version yet.

Yeah that’s it. Thanks! Didn’t know I needed to convert all the HODs.

Don’t ask me how to convert them. I haven’t touched HODs since Remastered…

I had a bunch of kitbashed ships that basically just got thrown in the trash because of the inability to use RM assets…

@BitVenom, Is there any luck for guys like me who can’t model?

From my understanding, you’re going to have to wait for the new version of HODOR to be released in order to get your ships to work. In the meantime, may I suggest you to do what I’m going to do, AKA taking the time to work on the design all over, smoothen your code, try to discover the new features and see how to use them, etc.? I have the strong feeling that many teams are going to use a pen and some paper for several days or weeks before trying to port their work to 2.0.

I know I will (and this will allow me to get something much more streamlined and consistent in the end).

2 Likes

@bitvenom, so the log still doesn’t name the culprit when an old HOD causes the crash? Can name 'n shame of files that cause crashes please be prioritised for the “point patch” you’ve described?

2 Likes

The new LUA kitbash system is intended exactly for people who just want to re-arrange and add turrets.

I had to dig through the minidump to find the offending HOD, but it did spit out the .subs file of what it was complaining about. More specificity in the log would be fantastic.

3 Likes

That’s a starting point at least, thinks! :slightly_smiling_face:

And add barrels to turrets? And modify textures so new turrets have a “hardpoint texture” beneath them, or turrets with added barrels have the extra latitude “track”? And take part of one ship (but only one particular section) and weld it to another?

1 Like

Technically, yes to all of that if you make those part of a subsystem. For the turret base, give it a little platform or stand to sit on. Nobody is going to notice.

I don’t quite think you’re getting what I’m getting at… Let me pull out some pictures…

Old turret:

New turret - without middle barrel (notice the grey area in the middle):

Old texture base:

New texture base:

Parts from the attack bomber welded onto a corvette:

Double barreled pulsar turret (granted the Ion Platform turret mesh probably? definitely is the same mesh data, but I didn’t like the scarred look of the Ion Platform turret, so I used the texture from the existing pulsar corvette turret).

This whole ship, which is based on the marine frigate…
But has the following highlighted part from the flak or field frigate (I cant quite recall which, atm):

You’re telling me that every. single. one. of these modifications are 100% replicable using this patch system using HWRM assets as to not break (remasterized) continuity with the remainder of the fleet? I’m sorry, (@BitVenom, correct me if I’m wrong – and I’ll gladly and happily eat my words) but I don’t see such a capability even being remotely possible using scripting only without access to HWRM assets, without ripping all this data out using CFHodEd. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

One caveat to my rant:
Yep, that’s a turret on a base that I ripped from the flak frigate (both the turret and the base). Sure, I can probably rip the turret off the frigate (I presume), but how do I get that base? Build my own? But the texture is clearly different on the RM frigate:

Nope, ship patching is for adding hardpoints/markers - and maybe swapping skins. Once you can add/edit hardpoints, you can bolt on extra stuff (more pds, another large gun, etc).

Mesh editing isn’t the point, wasn’t ever going to be the point. And the new format makes editing a HOD, once made, impossible - so you either work with the patching system features, or make new ships.

1 Like

(edit: @BitVenom (for some reason, my post isn’t linked to yours…))

So which of these is completely possible using the patching system?

And which do I have to force-rip-out using something like other cough programs?

Attempting to force rip a new HOD is probably going to end in tears - they’re not the format they used to be, at all. And you can’t translate them back to DAE without massive losses coming back in to HODOR - hence why it isn’t supported.

Which is what I thought, which to my point above:

:’(

edit:
@tempest6677, apologies for taking over your thread…

At least we can make a multigun corvette for Hiigara now…

3 Likes

You can’t extract Remastered meshes and textures from the new HODs, but you can create your own meshes and textures and weld them to an existing ship via a hardpoint.

1 Like

Is there a guide to patching beyond BitVenom’s initial post about it?

That is the definitive guide so far.

1 Like