[MOD] REARM V2 WIP thread

(REARM V2) #1445

Not yet done, but presentable:

I know modules are quite incredibly boring, but this will be the last for a while.

(REARM V2) #1446

News:

• I’m finished with this thing:

• I’m playing around making the next map:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1447

Looks great! Can you show some other ships next to the sensor station to give some scale?

(REARM V2) #1448

Sure:

(doci7) #1449

Severe wowness! The influx of incredible new maps is so exciting!!!

(BitVenom) #1450

Did anyone play with (or even notice) the skybox layers offset stuff? The commands that give skybox parallax as the camera moves? That’s a pretty big one to do if you are doing megalith debris - so that they shift (a tiny bit!) against the actual skybox…

(REARM V2) #1451

I did not notice or remember. That should be a rather nice detail, thanks.

(REARM V2) #1452

I’m not too sure about these muzzle flashes yet:

(El Rizzo) #1453

I think they look rather nice, except for the muzzle flash bubble which I would say is a tad too big for a fighter weapon (I assume it is a fighter, right ?), but that is just my personal preference and it might look perfectly fine in motion :slight_smile: . The design of the ship reminds me a lot of the Terran fighter in Starcraft I, intentional or coincidence ? :wink:

(ajlsunrise) #1454

Yeah, the FX scale is a little large. Fortunately, there’s a couple ways to fix that: scale the effect in the fx file, or add fx_scale to the events file.

(doci7) #1455

Nay, nay; personally I think it’s perfect at this size. Big dramatic flashes will help overcome a pratfall of HWReM… effects have little visual impact from a distance. This will look good from the distance one will most often be viewing fighters from.

(doci7) #1456

Also, YES YES YES! Vaygr Defenders are even more awesome and beautiful than they used to be!

(Leonardo) #1457

YAY! Vaygr wraiths!

(REARM V2) #1458

I’m not familiar with the unit, so it has no relation. Though it does remind me of something, I just can’t point my finger on what.

Its scale as seen on the pictures is on 0.5, as the HW1 Defenders have it. Though that alone isn’t a definitive similarity, the size of the HW1 Defender itself may be smaller, I didn’t check yet.

Yeah, that’s the reason I’m not scaling them down just yet, even though from up close they really look like I should. I have to compare with other strikecraft from a distance first.

Accidental similarities don’t bother me.

(REARM V2) #1459

There’s one more way to perceive the Defender with the simplest change imaginable -tilting its body 25 degrees. it magically turns it from a crab to a bird:

While I’m very very fond of it, I find it too “un-Vaygr”, so it most likely won’t happen.

But I just had to share it anyway, because I find it amazing how the tiniest shift in perspective ‘completely’ transforms the model. (But damn it looks so much better).

@Hell_Diguner Could you help me on this? The whole old matter of “authentic versus cool”, where do you see this on that scale? The whole concept is rather un-Vaygr to begin with, but it was the best path I found.

(El Rizzo) #1460

It looks like this:

(REARM V2) #1461

Yeah I googled it now that I had the name from Norhundien.

But since I didn’t know it, it’s not what it reminds me of. Still I feel like it’s something I know, I just can’t remember what.

(El Rizzo) #1462

Wasn’t there a Star Wars fighter that had a similar T-shape ?

(B8factor) #1463

reminds me of the titan AE Drej ships… cant find a good example…

(REARM V2) #1464

If there was, it might be it, because I played both X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

Nevertheless my inspirations are clear as day:

The only thing I can say is this:

Vaygr Defender looking like this is the logical solution of two independent design branches.