[MOD] REARM V2 WIP thread

(REARM V2) #1525

About coding the ship to be slower in its codeRed state:

Yeah, it kind of already does that. It has the “Frontal_defender” attack style (the one HW1 ones use). It doesn’t dogfight, it fights like all HW1 Defender, moves in, unfolds, holds the perimeter.

But exactly what Hell_Diguner said. It cannot be faster, that would be game breaking. Since as he mentioned, why would you build anything else then. I made it quite slow from that very reason, so you literally don’t use it for attacks (unless in Carriers or HS Gates, which is cool, good for you if you’re creative), but for the defense, as its name suggests.

The intend is that you intercept and harass with Assault Crafts and you fend of the enemy harassment with Defenders.
As in anything in REARM this time around, I take it very seriously not to overlap roles. To make sure the gameplay is deeper as some ships are better for one role and another ships for something else. Not just that you have a cool new craft if you dump more money into its research tree. You know as they say, sidegrades, not upgrades.

(doci7) #1526

No, it was not, and now I too am in the camp of people thoroughly enraged about this ship.

Lol, just kidding (about the being enraged part). I am rather surprised but it doesn’t hurt my feelings. A gunner’s seat is sort of curious to me because like I say, a Defender’s weapons would almost certainly have to use advanced automated tracking systems, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to have someone monitoring and directing the systems and stuff like that.

Also, I think making the engine block different from the norm is a good move, regardless of the axis debate. If this thing had simply the average ordinary engine block of a Vaygr fighter, with a chassis this size and shape we’d have no visual cues to make us understand why this ship is substantially slower than its family, especially in flight mode, where it is a small and streamlined Vaygr fighter (aerodynamics don’t matter, I know, but it’s still going to be a visual speed cue to the human brain; it can’t be helped).

(REARM V2) #1527

I think I make the gunner’s cockpit with smaller windows, an array of smaller windows, or armored with bars, something, but in essence less obviously sticking out.

Nevertheless the same argument goes for Battlecruisers. They shouldn’t have windows on their bridges, they shouldn’t have external bridges in the first place. Homeworld is like that and I still love its aesthetics.

That’s a good point about its engine block and a slower ship.

(B8factor) #1528

That is gorgeous.

Looking at this spawns ideas for me, like can a HWRM fighter be given the ability to fire behind?

When I see a ship that alters itself in flight in reminds me of star wars style turrets that swivel. I imagine that might be a neat game play idea… a ship that could have 3 guns facing forward or 2 facing forward and 1 in reverse to shoot units following it.

Just thinking “out loud” so to speak.

(ajlsunrise) #1529

@b8factor: Yes, in a moment of absurdity, I put a little tiny turret on the back of the Hiigaran bomber. And it worked well.

Edit: And yes, it was an actual turret, not just an fixed or gimballed weapon.

(REARM V2) #1530

Yeah, I thought about Homeworld Bombers with tail gunners in the past. Yes there’s nothing that would prevent it from working.

(REARM V2) #1531

People said they cannot make an informed opinion if they can’t play it. So I made a short video.
Alright, they do dogfight a little… Well they seem to be dogfighting, but it’s not what they’re really doing. It does have that Defender attack style, the video makes them look more aggressive than they are. In game they stay on the edge of their range and sway a bit. But here in the video they relocate to their targets and these targets make passes on them, which makes them look dogfighting. Nevertheless there they are:

(ajlsunrise) #1532

Looks great to me! You’re right though, it is a little hard to really see it in action like this.

(doci7) #1533

Some of the Defenders forgot to open up :smile:

My opinion: texture it.

(REARM V2) #1534

I know, what kind of morons fly them?

Good idea. :slight_smile: Honestly, I think this was more than enough talking, I got to finish the mesh, UV it and start.
…I only have the weapons textured.

(REARM V2) #1535

Since I’m at this point decided on the order of animated parts, I refined the very basic animation into something watchable that I like.

Also I don’t know yet how the ship will look like with the Vaygr stripes on it. It will be very stripy in an unusual way. We’ll see.

(Herbyguitar) #1536

BS Pouk. Enough time talking? Admit it. You got ideas from us talking too much…

(REARM V2) #1537

I did and that was the point. But now it’s time to shut my mouth and start working.

(REARM V2) #1538

Just a quick render. The old blocky animation and the new smooth animation:

I’m not entirely sure whether I should expect people to see the difference. But the difference in my eyes, while rather subtle, is an important one. The old one was strictly linear.

(ajlsunrise) #1539

Your top turrets aren’t rotating to stay level, whilst the bottom one is.

Edit: I noticed the difference. Very subtle.

(REARM V2) #1540

I know they aren’t, but they can’t.

(ajlsunrise) #1541

Don’t they rotate on the X-axis when firing? Can’t you do the same on CodeRed open?

(REARM V2) #1542

Unless you can animate a joint within the turret hierarchy, on the latitude joint level (which I haven’t tried), I can’t.

I do animate the whole weapon mount, which you can see, otherwise the turrets would stick to the side with the wings. I can rotate that one, because that’s inline with the single axis main weapon joint. Your mentioned rotation is another axis and if I rotated the whole weapon mount in said axis, the whole gun would decouple from the ship. So if I have one axis to work with, I pick the main one.
Again, maybe you can animate the latitude joint, but I doubt it.

(ajlsunrise) #1543

But you’re already animating the position joint on the Y axis? Don’t need to rotate the latitude joint.

(REARM V2) #1544

I knew I have to make pictures. Give me couple minutes to make pictures.