[MOD] REARM V2 WIP thread

(REARM V2) #1653

A time to finish one older piece:

I just need to figure out what to put at the end of that rod (the focal point structure) and I think this is enough and I can move on to UVs.

(El Rizzo) #1654

Most certainly ! :slight_smile: If the results are as awesome as this one, I don’t think anyone minds waiting :wink:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1655

I like this. I remember seeing it before. Is it a map object or a player controlled thing?

(REARM V2) #1656

Capturable map object. Though I do want to give it a function, but I can’t script it myself. The idea is this:

To form an array of invisible dummy sensor objects to create a directional cone.
The placement should be easily solvable by parade formation slots the dummy “probes” would lock into.

But how to spawn them after the capture from an object with a Meg_ prefix? And how to delete them if you lose the object are the questions I don’t know.

I mean unless you can somehow do conical sensors, then this whole nonsense could be avoided…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1657

That’s quite straightforward with addcustomcode. I’ll have a look into it if you like.

(REARM V2) #1658

That would be awesome actually.

Though I should say in a map I’m working on there’ll be three of these stations at once, so the code should be prepared for that.
Also it’s very map specific. Could it be turned on only for selected map(s)? Is what addcustomcode is?

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1659

The custom code goes with the ship. But presumably you would want the same effect on any map containing this ship, right?

My thinking is to code it like the drone frigate, but with invisible un-targetable probes instead of drones. The probes could change ownership on capture of the station, or perhaps better, they could self destruct and new ones could “launch” from it. That way, the new owner would have to wait 10-20 seconds while the probes reach their destinations, as if the sensor array was powering up.

(REARM V2) #1660

That’s brilliant, that’s exactly what I want. I didn’t even think to look at the Drone Frigate for inspiration.

(REARM V2) #1661

(doci7) #1662

Without further context, I feel I have NOOOOOOOO idea what this image could possibly mean :wink::wink::wink:

(REARM V2) #1663

Mostly that I’m working on a Destroyer. The fact it has more detailed mesh is the only really somewhat visible one, the navlights, engine glow and thruster shader don’t show.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1664

I haven’t forgotten your sensor station script*, just got a lot going on…

*I even started writing it

(REARM V2) #1665

OK, sounds good. :slight_smile:

(REARM V2) #1666

Spamming because …what else:

(doci7) #1667

Vaygr-Hiigarans and Vaygr-Taiidan stealing Taiidan-Vaygr destroyers…

(Herbyguitar) #1668

yeah, well. What do ya expect :smiley:

(REARM V2) #1669

You’re right, I forgot Vaygr-Kushans.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1670

Ok, I have some working code for the sensor station. Basically it spawns the probes (to save having to mess with build and research scripts) then instantly docks them with the sensor station. They are then launched and paraded to the correct positions. If the sensor station gets destroyed, the probes get despawned and killed. If it gets captured, the same thing happens and new ones get spawned and launched for the new owner. I still need to do some tidying and testing, but its basically working.

At the moment the probes are not invisble (for testing reasons) but they will be invisble and unattackable when finished.

The code can cope with multiple sensor stations with different owners, and sensor stations being created and destroyed during the game.

(REARM V2) #1671

This is amazing and you’re my favorite person. :slight_smile:

From your description it works exactly as it should.

(doci7) #1672

What a great anniversary gift for Pouk! Excellent work!