[MOD] Resurgence WIP

(HWRM Resurgence) #241

That would be probably simplier way of doing it.

maybe

(REARM V2) #242

If it's built from the start as a giant modular ship, then yes.

(Hell_Diguner) #243

As I recall, Mothership Warfare gave you one mothership and two mutually exclusive late-game research paths. Flagships mod is a little closer; that one emphasized using multiple production ships because each one had (mostly) unique build lists.

(HWRM Resurgence) #244

Thrust Challenge update with pics.

4k images. with some sharpness added to bring up normals.

There are some glicthes with shadows, but that's probably quixels fault.

This whole model contains 2 2k maps, 1 4k map and 1 1k map for engines.

Got 1 month of time to get this finished so i am going to be busy with texturing. Luckily i dont have to follow any specific artstyle so it's easyer kinda/maybe. But even then i am going to be busy because i still have to uvmap and texture turrets too :smiley:

(doci7) #245

I really, really, especially love that second picture; this is a wonderful, impressive ship!

(BitVenom) #246

Indeed, super sexy.

One note/critique - 1k for the engines? Did you tile the slices using UV ping-pong (maybe 1 or 2 unique slices)? As opposed to the entire surface being a unique, unwrapped image? Nobody seems to do it, but it works really, really well.

(HWRM Resurgence) #247

Yeah maybe bit of overkill but i did not think about it really. I was just happy to start texturing :smiley:

Slicing uv's? I did do some overlapping uv's for things like antennas and smaller stuff. If that is what you mean? So they dont take uv space of 100 things but only 1 or 3 if needed. It's easy way of doing modular detail design and i think i be using it more in future for bigger things.

Uv's were pain with this. But i learned couple things which is always cool. And prolly wont make those mistakes again. Most of them being software issues and limitations. Also 16gb ram is not enough for 8k texture baking/making in quixel :smiley:

(BitVenom) #248

How long is that, from nose to engines? HWRM 2.0 has an 8k size limit.

(Eville Jedi) #249

BitVenom, from your perspective (based on how the engine handles the texture data and how the lighting is applied), I'm curious where the UV overlapping makes sense and where it doesn't, other than mirrored symmetrical areas, small details where AO bakes won't make a difference seem like obvious candidates, but larger things like engines may get more benefit from a full UV unwrap because of AO bakes?

It is certainly more convenient to have a few slices for all of the engines in the UV map, and in some cases where there is a lot of indistinguishably greebly bits (sides/tops/bottoms of extrusions) it is also very tempting.

(HWRM Resurgence) #250

I dont really know i havent thought much about putting this ship into HWRM.

(BitVenom) #251

The engine really doesn't care... UV overlap is far more about making textures smaller - which it does care about.

Yes, shared UVs complicate AO bakes... though for engines the 'thruster' surfaces are often almost entirely lit by glows, or dark enough that they are 'nearly' black when the thruster isn't on. I feel like it is less of an issue.

Hell, it would be VERY easy enough to make a variant of the ship shader that uses diffuse vertex color (not texture, but one of the RGBA color components) as an AO mult - that way you still get shared UVs, but each one can have a shadow or soft AO in addition.

You could treat the RGBA channels of the vertex color all sorts of ways:

R - Ambient mult
G - Diffuse mult
B - Spec mult
A - A bunch of random ish

(HWRM Resurgence) #252

Update.

2 weeks left before deadline.
Some 4k wip texture shots.

Next update is going to be final.

(doci7) #253

That is HYPER-LEGIT! The diagonalized engine was always an especially interesting feature and the texture only makes it even cooler.

(REARM V2) #254

I would go with less variegated, too many colors all over the place is somewhat like Battlefleet Gothic texture on a Homeworld ship. And yellow-blue on top and yellow-red on bottom feels like too much for me. Color-wise I'd unify it a bit more.

(HWRM Resurgence) #255

Yeah was thinking about same, which is why i posted same images to challenge page for some critique. And got same response about colors mostly.

Bit later changed stripes at top to red and white, which prolly fits better. Also thinking about removing some orange colors and replacing em with darkened/whitened base texture.

(REARM V2) #256

Sounds good.

(Chimas) #257

For the design contest, it's done and it's cool.

For HW universe, I would make it a station, rather than a ship, just an opinion. It seems too big.

(REARM V2) #258

Chimas wants stations for his game mode. :smiley:

(doci7) #259

The only problem I have with that idea is that the engine just came out so dang cool!!!

(ajlsunrise) #260

A very slow moving "station"? lol :stuck_out_tongue: