[MOD] Taiidan Republic | April Update Released

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #278

What do you mean? For the minelayer corvette I have followed the same principle as the hiigaran one - engines moved apart to make room for a massive central mine chute, fins shortened. Other bits added. What else should I do?

For the emp corvette I was thinking of having some big heat sinks. The hiigaran ones above have the same cockpit section with different turrets and minor alterations to the rear…

(REARM V2) #279

The Minelayer’s main body still has the same topology. Maybe it could have different geometry on the top side, maybe these side turret bases might be elongated to the engines and the turret base to engine box edge wouldn’t have to be there at all. Maybe the turret base doesn’t have to be there at all, since its whole purpose is to support the turrets. Maybe you could remove the side wings or shape them differently.

The EMP might not need the side turret bases either.

Basically it all boils down to this: Not be affraid about UVs and not limit yourself to just adding additional mesh modules. What would you do if you allowed yourself to turn off the texture, go back to gray for a moment and forget UVs exist. And just be free to remodel section of the ship fresh.

If you take Vaygr Corvettes as examples. Sure, they have the same/similar engine sections and similar body. But a Missile Corvette isn’t just a regular Corvette with polygons deleted and two long missile boxes just slapped onto the model. The transition is modelled.
The Command Corvette, double sized bridge and “wings”. Again, not just imported parts of new mesh somehow wedged into a good old Corvette, someone actually took the time to make it an original ship.

This is what I meant.

1 Like
(doci7) #280

Whatever else may be, Taiidani dome emitters have plenty of precedent (defense field units).

2 Likes
(Taiidan Republic Mod) #281

Thanks for the tips @Pouk , as always your feedback is useful and I will try to incorporate it. I’ll revisit the minelayer corvette at some point and try to make it look more distinctive. I think getting rid of the side fins is probably wise.

@Kragle good point about the domes, defense fields are sort of similar to EMP so it does make sense to have that continuity.

In other news, @Talros has joined the team as a modeller and texturer (and no doubt we’ll be seeing some more excellent art - check out http://talros.deviantart.com/ if you haven’t already). Welcome Talros! :grinning:

4 Likes
(doci7) #282

Talros himself… outstanding!!! I had no idea he did modelling/texturing!

1 Like
(Taiidan Republic Mod) #283

Well he does, and this will dispell any doubts… @Talros has produced a model of the Probe he drew a concept for (see [MOD] Taiidan Republic | December Update released!). In my opinion it looks a good deal better than the vanilla Taiidan Probe!

Here it is with the stock Taiidan Probe:

8 Likes
(doci7) #284

Hot flippin’ dang, that is intense! Totally game authentic!

4 Likes
(Sastrei) #285

Its like a baby assault frigate. Adorable!

2 Likes
(REARM V2) #286

Of course Talros would join a Taiidan project. We should have seen that coming. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(doci7) #287

Man, I didn’t see ANY of this coming! Like I still feel completely blindsided by Talros doing other than digital painting. It blows my mind! But in the case of such talent I should not be surprised.

1 Like
(REARM V2) #288

3D is the easy part, really.

Thanks! I’m glad you like it guys :smile:

I thought about different designs for corvettes and platforms back then…

Corvette base design

with missile module

Antenna !

Platform base design

9 Likes
(Not actually Jesus Christ) #290

Woah… Just Woah…

(Not actually Jesus Christ) #291

Hey, can you do one of a hangar platform? :wink:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #292

I really like those but I see them as more imperial than Republic…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #293

(Which is fine, because we are planning an imperial/loyalist race in the long run)

2 Likes
(Not actually Jesus Christ) #294

Which is when I will change back to the imperials again… :wink:

1 Like
(Taiidan Republic Mod) #295

Some more up close shots. It really does look excellent:

6 Likes
(Sastrei) #296

Ooh, those lenses are reflective aren’t they? Great use of the REFL maps.

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought this could be to much but actually it looks fine :sunglasses:

1 Like