[MOD] Taiidan Republic | April Update Released

(REARM V2) #396

On one hand I don’t hink the 80% Vaygr philosophy is a good idea. It’s a bit of a naive oversimplification. On the other hand I appretiate it as some kind of a solid guideline and measurabke metric, because not every gut feeling is good. Like from the latest examples the painted capital ship on the white background, the rather well known one with the missile, is just so wrong, that I understand that something solid and easily defined can, while sinplistic, be a vevry very good thing.

(ajlsunrise) #397

[quote=“Pouk, post:396, topic:540042”]
I don’t hink the 80% Vaygr philosophy is a good idea.
[/quote]You mean 20%? Or the whole 80/20 rule?

It’s a bit of a naive oversimplification.
[/quote]Perhaps you’re right, but I was also oversimplifying the general design philosophy when I floated that idea.

On the other hand I appretiate it as some kind of a solid guideline and measurabke metric, because not every gut feeling is good.
[/quote]Guideline, yes. Measurable, not so much. I wasn’t suggesting an actual “metric” to go by, just a general feeling.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #398

Dream no more - the corvette is based on that sketch :wink:

2 Likes
(Not actually Jesus Christ) #399

And wasn’t your Ion frigate test based on one as well?

(REARM V2) #400

20%, not 80, my mistake. The whole thing.
No it’s measurable enough. Yeah it’s still a very subjective matter, but nonetheless something you could clearly see. As far as design philosophies go, this one is way less nebulous than pretty much any other approach. Making hybrids, taking a 20/80 split, that’s pretty well defined and (I would dissagree with you on this one) also clearly observable.

For instance you can take a look at my ships as examples. You could say my Cruiser is about 85% Vaygr. My MBC only about 70-75%. The rest is something else, who knows what. That’s something I can see clear as day.
Another thing you can look at is the Talros’s Scout. And please don’t get me wrong, that ship is gorgeous, I utterly adore it. But, if I’d be critical, I’d say it’s 30% too big to be a light Scout. That ships says “come at me!” a bit more than “I can get in and out quickly”.

1 Like
(ajlsunrise) #401

It’s all good. Just checking to see if I knew what you meant. :wink:

[quote=“Pouk, post:400, topic:540042”]
No it’s measurable enough. Yeah it’s still a very subjective matter, but nonetheless something you could clearly see.[/quote]I’m not quite sure your definition and my definition of “measurable” quite match up, but I think we’re saying pretty much the same thing here.

[quote=“Pouk, post:400, topic:540042”][…] that’s pretty well defined and (I would dissagree with you on this one) also clearly observable.[/quote]I didn’t mean to suggest that it wasn’t observable. I apologize if it came across like that. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pouk, post:400, topic:540042”]
Another thing you can look at is the Talros’s Scout. And please don’t get me wrong, that ship is gorgeous, I utterly adore it. But, if I’d be critical, I’d say it’s 30% too big to be a light Scout. That ships says “come at me!” a bit more than “I can get in and out quickly”.
[/quote]I… I have to say I agree with you. But, that’s not really the area of expertise to which I contribute.

On a somewhat related note, I would venture to suggest that giving constructive feedback is more than welcome. :slight_smile:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #402

Right, the ship you have all been waiting for is here - the resource collector by @Talros! Not quite done, because I can’t get the thing to actually face the asteroid, it just sits above it like the Hiigaran one… Also I need to sort out the badge. But I couldn’t resist sharing these images because getting the animations actually working in game is a major triumph for me! I sincerely hope that this is the most complicated animation job I will ever do!!! That grabby arm is the worst :stuck_out_tongue:

Munching on its favourite food…

Those asteroids don’t stand a chance.

Animation: preparing to eat:

Animation: busy eating yummy asteroid:

Off for a snack…

11 Likes
[SOLVED] How to define resource collector latch orientation?
(Chimas) #403

This is, again, completely awesome.
Congrats for the competence and achievements.

(REARM V2) #404

And stunningly fast.

Talros, your clone tanks… Share with the community, we would all benefit if we could also clone ourselves.

3 Likes
(Sastrei) #405

Rotate the LatchOrientation joint 90 degrees so it’s pointing up instead of forward and it should face the right way. I’m not sure if that’s the right way to do it though.

Oh, and the ship looks AMAZING! :smiley:

(BitVenom) #406

My red flag for this VERY PRETTY unit is that it has a ton of small animated parts…each one is a draw call… A few are entirely not necessary (the smaller mouth thumb, etc). If you’re gonna do it - consider making an LOD from a medium distance with none of this detail, elements welded into rest positions, etc.

2 Likes
[QUESTION] Constantly Animated Objects & Animation blending
(REARM V2) #407

Is it ‘that’ bad?
Or in another way, is it bad only if it’s playing at the time (continuously working Collector), so for instance used as a deploy CodeRed animation it would be fine, because it would run only once? Or even that would be a problem?

(BitVenom) #408

It isn’t the animation - it is all of the sub-meshes. In the HWRM engine each item that can animate is it’s own object, etc. Animation is not generally a huge issue - but ‘small’ ships with tons of small moving parts end up costing more than large ships in many circumstances.

Ditto for stuff like fins or wings that deploy - it’s fine, but at a medium distance weld them in their most common orientation/position relative to the base mesh and nuke the sub-objects from that LOD.

2 Likes
[QUESTION] Constantly Animated Objects & Animation blending
(REARM V2) #409

Alright, thank you, that’s a valuable advice.

Just out of curiosity, did you bake all the Taiidan wings the way you describe?

1 Like
(benjidordoni) #410

God, that’s amazing. The shape of the central body and engines is giving me Nostromo vibes, and that’s not a bad thing.

And while its animation is phenomenal, I wouldn’t be offended if the individual “fingers” and “mouth” weren’t animated. It’s still so fantastic…

(doci7) #411

Loving everything about it. Except the prospect of having to make another Taiidan Republic collector some day, lol! It seems so useless with this one already around!

I love, love, LOVE the chewing animation! It makes me think so very much of a praying mantis when it’s eating.

2 Likes
(Taiidan Republic Mod) #412

Tidied a few things up, sorted the latch orientation and the badge, plus some small updates on the textures by @Talros. Implemented the second LOD with a single merged mesh - thanks for the tip @BitVenom! Now the resourcing operation shouldn’t cause too many performance issues, unless you zoom in…

One of the details that I love about this ship is that the small lights on the side of the engine pods have GLOW/GLOX textures that light up when the engines are on:

9 Likes
(Chimas) #413

Hi, just out of curiosity, how much of the texture is made from scratch?
I mean, did you get parts of the TDN collector or you’ve drawn all details until they would resemble the other collector?

note: that side light detail is cool.

(Avetorian) #414

this is great work guys, I can’t wait to see more of this mod. awesome job.

1 Like
(Sastrei) #415

Great use of the GLOX texture!

2 Likes