[MOD] Taiidan Republic | November Update released!

(Goose3) #1166

Amazing work guys… Truly amazing good work @Talros

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1167

In relation to the work that @radar3301 did a while ago, some interesting findings on the EMP corvette…

1. I set up a scenario where 1/2/3/4 squadrons of EMP corvettes attacked isolated Vaygr ships. The EMP corvette is currently very overpowered, but there are some ships that are insanely resistant to EMP. This table is the time in seconds to the target being disabled (AB_Steering lost - thanks @EvilleJedi for figuring out this helpful EMP test). The recovery column is the time in seconds to recovery of AB_Steering if the target is disabled (and the EMP corvettes immediately break off their attack). X means the target was not disabled after a long time, or the target destroyed the EMP corvettes.

temp_emp_corvette_data

1. An analysis of the EMP shield line (e.g. addShield(NewShipType,"EMP",220,20) in the Vaygr ships reveals this:

What is interesting is that some ships have very large EMP shield values - they will never realistically be vulnerable to EMP. Perhaps this is intentional. It also shows that the recharge time is false. My experiments show that some ships recover more quickly than others, but I have yet to understand what governs this… The gun platform takes a massive amount of EMP hits without getting disabled, but it should have the same shield value as the missile platform, which is disabled very quickly. Something odd is going on…

EDIT:

Recovery time is a bit spurious. I redid the recover data and got this:

temp_emp_corvette_data3

It may be because my script scuttles the EMP corvettes as soon as the target is disabled, but there may be EMP shots that have already been fired when this happens, which could increase the recovery time. In which case, the values close to 30 are probably the true values…

(Quenouille) #1168

For the carrier : Bravo ! :smiley: It’s as pleasant to watch as vanilla one !!

(Chimas) #1169

Is the finished carrier available in-game? Mine is missing hangar textures …

Anyway, hype it up

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-n9VjOnKF4WnA_RjEHJ84aVKT9pTOeeH

obs.: don’t know how to upload pics anymore, will have to find my SS in GBX forums …

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1170

No, the public version is still the January update. The February update is coming soon though!

(Chimas) #1171

Just checking for error on my end, not in a hurry, keep up the good work.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1172

Engines, all ahead full! This completes the baseline carrier, although there are still the subsystems to do…

Excellent work @Talros!

You can see the model here with half of the texture sizes but still ok :wink:

(Chimas) #1174

Hey Talros,
Do you have concept arts for other new/unknown races, concerning HW game? Just asking for previous “work”, not asking/implying you to do so.

Post edit - as usual, nice work!

(doci7) #1175

DANG! Thanks for making that model available for perusal… I’m putting it under the microscope to see what I can learn from it :sweat_smile:

(Herbyguitar) #1176

Excellent work :+1:

Hmm, not really I guess :sweat_smile:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1178

I have been asked a few times recently about whether people can use Taiidan Republic Mod assets in other mods. Whilst I am committed to sharing in some ways, there are things that make me reluctant. Here is my thinking…

1. In the case where the team “fall off the internet” (in the words of Fulcrum) and we cannot be contacted on here or on steam, I am happy pre-emptively release our assets - in that case, we have surely ceased to care about the game or our work on the mod. Take our stuff and use it however you like.

2. I think these gearbox forums are the key to the longevity of HWRM modding. Relicnews is gone (RIP). No-one really talks about modding on steam. Discord is a bit sporadic. If you are not active in this community, I will suspect you of being one of those enthusiastic newcomers who sticks around for a few weeks and then disappears. If you are serious about making a mod, come here to ask, learn, contribute and build trust. I wouldn’t hesitate to share an asset with @Pouk or @EatThePath if they asked. Enough said.

3. If your vision is similar to our vision (i.e. you want to see high quality Taiidan-style ships in Homeworld Remastered) then you don’t need to take our ships - join our team instead and help us achieve that vision quicker! Why make two separate mods at half the pace, when we could all work together on the same one? If you have a similar-but-not-quite-the-same vision (e.g. Taiidan versus Kadeshi) then that can wait. We are already on the road to new HWRM Taiidan fleets. Help us achieve that vision and we may help you with the second part in the fulness of time.

4. If your vision is not similar to our vision but you still want to use our ships:
    a) Don’t do it - they won’t match your vision. You will compromise on your mod vision and maybe even have your vision transformed by the assets themselves to become situation #2). Do the hard work that is needed to achieve your vision.
    b) You want to make a completely different mod and you think one of our assets would fit (e.g. you want to make a smuggling mission and you would like to use our ported Cataclysm transport) then talk to us and we will probably be happy to share.

Why all the above? Too harsh? Maybe. I think we all should drive for high quality mods for HWRM. Multiple mods using the same assets is just going to frustrate players. It would be way better to have just a few mods that are really decent. If you are committed to that like I am, you will agree with the above (I think). Feel free to discuss/disagree with me on this one.

(REARM V2) #1179

This approach was always closer to me and very often not all that popular.

But I especially like your point no. 3. Well said. Better to join a high quality mod and help to see it done, than to create a bunch of unfinished little projects.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1180

@fideliscolatus tried to post this, but it didn’t work. Apparently he is limited to 3 posts (per day?) - does that make sense @Psychichazard?

Anyway, I did think about separate in/out paths on the carrier front, but it is a bit too narrow. Frigates and resource collectors would struggle to pass each other there. As it is, the dock path is blocked in both directions and ships have to wait until it is clear:

Sounds like we have to scale up the carrier once more :wink:

(Quenouille) #1182

Yes it seems like gearbox don’t recognize me…
I just tested with the addition of thrusters on the carrier : HUGE as signature !
Talros, you have my respect man ! it’s just talent.

(Siber) #1183

I don’t disagree with you that having high quality mods is a positive, and getting people to work together is a positive, but my reaction to your third and fourth points, personally, is that it’s not my place to decide what kind of mod other people should be making. That’s up to them. And if someone out there has a gameplay idea that demands non-stock ships but they don’t have the ability or opportunity to make new ship art, I think the community is enriched by them having the opportunity to realize that idea with existing ships.

(Goose3) #1184

I agree with your statement @Eatthepath that basically used to be the idea behind the Homeworld Universe mod back then. It added the best community made assets into own factions out of Hw1 and Hw2 mods (with permission).

Now that for the first time ever we’re also actually really seeing an increased amount of custom made SP missions having a mod that combines assets into 1 huge collection surely would’ve it’s benefits. Assets in my personal opinion also don’t need to look identical. At least as far as story missions would go.

Take the Taiidan ships for example. There are 3 mods that got em at the moment. The Fulcrum mod, Taiidan Republic and HW Fx mod. All having their own slight looks. Who is to say that they can’t look different. Considering the Taiidan are a formerly large and now minor empire within the Homeworld story arc. Each planet having their own engineers and style. Or even being entirely isolated from the rest of the empire for various reasons. You get the idea.

I can only speak for myself here but if some of you would want to combine your assets together into a even larger mod I wouldn’t mind. You could still remain separate in your own respected story lines for SP. And as far as skirmish and mp matches go. Ya sure a combined balance would’ve to be found unless you add 2 separate play styles. Similar as it is right now with the 4 stock races. Not really being that greatly balanced to one another. So again not a really a big deal in this regard.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1185

@EatThePath @goose3 I agree. This is covered by point 4b. If someone wants to make a different mod that requires assets, fine.

Unfortunately we are not seeing very many campaign/mission mods. But if someone wanted to make a mission using taiidan republic ships, why not? Although I would be gutted that a mission scripter wouldn’t want to join us - I have 15 more missions planned and I’m the only one scripting them at the moment :frowning: