[MOD] Taiidan Republic | Update: mothership concept

(Leviathans Wrath) #1347

Too late about regrets bud

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1348

Small news:

First look at the field platform, in the very early stages of texturing:

When the field is active, it sort of opens:

Still trying to get the destroyer shape looking right. I have many many attempts at this over the last few years. This is my latest one, still not happy with the overall feel but it is my best one yet I think:

Based on this concept by @Talros

taiidan_destroyer_by_talros

(GOLIATH Mod) #1349

I think the destroyer looks cool. It fits with the other ships pretty well too.

(Goose3) #1350

I agree and fine tuning can always be conducted if and when needed… :slight_smile:

Also lovely first shots of the field platform. Though Field platform needs a proper name to give you an idea what it’s purpose is. Or is it just a platform sitting in the field? It sorta is but you get what I mean.

(diegogiurgola) #1351

Cool AF!!! I love it!

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1352

Here is a sketchfab of all the platforms together:

New destroyer rigged and in action. It is a broadside attacker like the other HW2 destroyers. 8 torpedo launchers + 2 turrets might be a bit overpowered though - it won a dual with the Hiigaran Destroyer and survived with 50% health…

(Gregorymthompso1) #1353

very good work. it will be fun to try these out in-game

(ajlsunrise) #1354

In all fairness though, the Hiigaran Destroyer has always been a bit lackluster. Vaygr Destroyers tend to melt it as well. It’s the missiles.

How does it fare against Vaygr Destroyers?

(GOLIATH Mod) #1355

Neato! You could also just make it as butch as you want, and then adjust the price and build time accordingly. It might change the gameplay up with the Republic too.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1356

Fact check: that is not true. Vaygr and Hiigaran destroyers have the same health and firepower. If you pit them against each other they are more or less equal. Not sure if that was the case for hw2 classic though.

I’ve also noticed:

• Vgr = 2 turrets + 4 missiles
  • Hgn = 4 turrets + 2 missiles

So at the moment the Taiidan Republic destroyer is basically the same configuration as the Vaygr one. I might change it to 3 turrets (an additional one on the bottom) to make it a bit different…

(Infected Firefly) #1357

Basically 3 missiles and 3 turrets? A nice mix of both hgn and vgr variants

(ajlsunrise) #1358

Well, I will admit that I haven’t actually played a game of Homeworld in a while, and my memory isn’t that recent…

Apparently my memory has failed me…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1359

I had another bash at the battlecruiser concept taking into account comments from @pouk @radar3301 @herbyguitar and others over a year ago…

Here is my new attempt:

No idea where the weapons should go. I was wondering about having missiles launching from the side blocks. The nose area could be modified to take one or more turrets…

(REARM V2) #1360

Just a thought, a very very quick one at that, but what about this?

BC2

A quickest way I can think of to make it less slender, more beefy.

(REARM V2) #1361

Or, man, even better! :

BC3

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1362

Put your chainsaw away! Long and slender is kind of what I’m going for - the Hiigaran and Vaygr BCs are basically long thin cuboids with some subtle shaping. That is the style I want, but Taiidanified…

Anyway, I am intrigued by your proposal, especially the weapons configuration.

(REARM V2) #1363

I have a battlecruiser-sized chainsaw! :slight_smile: I use it to saw battlecruisers.

(Leviathans Wrath) #1364

Love the taidan designs

(Herbyguitar) #1365

A little thicker in the body and I think your idea will work very well. It seems wide enough. Just needs a little more girth in the Z axis… not much more…
…you might think about smoothing out some of the jagged edges on the X,Y, center line. my opinion.

(ajlsunrise) #1366

what weapons are going to be equipped?

missiles? standard turrets? ions? turreted ions? a new weapon? (i have a weapon idea i want to try with one of the mods im not-so-involved in)

what attack style? forward facing, broadside, brawler?