[MOD] Taiidan Republic | Update: mothership concept

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1367

Why are people against slender? Look how fragile the Hiigaran BC looks compared to it…

At the moment I am thinking attack style = Frontal attack, with missiles launching out of the sides and fixed forward-firing ion cannons. But I’m open to other ideas. Turrets could work too, but they could get awkward depending on where they are mounted…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1368

New destroyer config (3 turrets + torpedoes):

Battlecruiser concept rigged with some weapons to try (side-launched torpedoes & fixed forward-firing ion cannons):

I am going to update the workshop mod with these new destroyer and battlecruiser placeholders so people can play around with them.

(ajlsunrise) #1369

I like the design, maybe with a couple of adjustments.

I like how Pouk positioned the turrets.

I has more thoughts, but without my pc, I cant draw them. Next Friday! (if you can wait that long, lol)

Also, I hate to be that guy, but I think the destroyer needs an Ion weapon. But, don’t mind me if that idea sounds crazy. (i has reasons though)

(GOLIATH Mod) #1370

I think it looks cool. How about something like a precursor to the Vaygr Trinity Cannon? (I think it was called that in the book that came with HW2, which I can’t find anymore :frowning: ) Like maybe three horizontally placed ion cannons that fire in sequence and can only fire a few degrees to the sides.

(GOLIATH Mod) #1371

I think I someone had that hidden in their boot in The Hateful 8, pardner. =D

(ajlsunrise) #1372

im really worried about the platform where i see the guns sitting…

i still feel they’re too big, and for whatever reason, the flatness of them also bugs me. try angling the edges where it connects to the main hull a bit, so that a front profile looks like this: <[]>

im also worried that the middle/main section just doesnt have enough bulk to it. i know we’re going for a slender look, but i feels like this is beanpole look. it could also be that it may just feel too long

maybe something like this? (hopefully this translates properly on other devices. its just a straight screenshot of the p3d, but resized using the forums image resizing)
20190228_232525
(scaled 68%)

scaled 76%:
20190228_232525

scaled 84%:

20190228_232525

original:
20190228_232525

now that i have all 4 “side-by-side”, i like the feel of the 76%

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1373

Hiigaran BC is 9.7 times longer than it is tall

Vaygr BC is 7.8 times longer than it is wide

The concept above is 4.4 times longer than it is wide and 3.5 times longer than it is tall. That becomes 7.0 and 8.4 if you take the thinnest section.

I personally don’t see the need to make it short and stumpy.

I take this point - remember the model is not finished, so there is plenty of work to do and I think this could be part of that.

(ajlsunrise) #1374

im not saying make it short and stubby…

original:
20190228_232525

scaled vertically by 16%
20190228_232525

maybe im taking too much inspiration from the heavy cruiser…

what is the width to length ratio if you just ignore the weapon platforms?

edit: i know this is a destroyer model, and the models were lost, but this is more of what i was thinking: [MOD] Taiidan Republic | Update: battlecruiser concept

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1375

Yes, the Heavy Cruiser is really not what we are going for here - this is a Battlecruiser in the style of HW2, but Taiidan-inspired. Maybe this helps*:

Looking at this I am amazed by how long the Vaygr BC is! Almost 3 times the length of the Taiidan Heavy Cruiser!

I am wary of making it thin and tall, because then it will look too similar to the Vaygr BC. That said, I acknowledge what you point out by linking to @sarsengo’s excellent lost destroyer model - it does not look too Vaygr. The other option would be to go flat and wide, like the Hiigaran one. Taiidan do have a precedent for flat in their Mothership, so it could be done.

@Talros where do you stand in all this? I still like this Talros concept… Long, thin and the fins say Taiidan. The thing I don’t like about it is the nose… And the aft section, which seems to get lost (it almost looks like another ship is behind it…)

Anyway, I love that this ship is generating debate, even years into the mod’s development when HWRM has lost a lot of players. It shows people are still interested and as excited as I am to see the big Taiidan Republic ships.

*Notice that I implemented your suggestion about the side blocks @radar3301.

(Goose3) #1376

Personally I do love the fact that you attempt to remain loyal to Taiidan styles. Their cruisers and battleships should be somewhat formidable in all sizes… Who is to say that they value the same traits as the Hiigarans and Vaygr do by turning everything flat.

Perhaps the Taiidan do Enjoy their beasts. (BSG reference) Anyway on an ascetically pov I think it’s good to have various races - factions with their own styles… Not just visually but also potentially with their own weaponry and armor and crew complement.

Otherwise these ships will just be reskins just like it used to be in HW1 vanilla minus 2 ships. I’m a strong supporter of large and bulky as shown in your early model showcasts @Dom2.

I have to admit though that concept art of talros looks just stunning… If you can get something done such as this it’ll be amazing as well.

(ajlsunrise) #1377

… aaaand this is the point where i cry because i can’t get my designs out from my head onto paper/digital model without something being lost in translation… :sob:

Anyhow…

Something i just noticed about the Vaygr and Hiigaran Battlecruisers, and even the Heavy Cruiser (to a much less noticeable extent), is that the front of the ships are all more narrow than the back of the ship, in both dimensions. That isn’t something that really exists in the current concept. It widens near the front, and then just stops.

I’m not saying that design influence has to be followed, but part of me wonders if that will help somehow.

Also, you could use a lot of the features from Talros’ model. You say you don’t like the nose or back, but what if you use the rest? Replace the spine of his concept with the spine of the current concept.

Despite all my criticisms otherwise, I’m really rather fond of the side profile/silhouette of the current concept.

In other news, my new computer arrived a week early, today!

edit:

the other thing you could do is: from the side, it looks like it has a really thin, fragile neck. Try increasing the distance between the top profile line, and the bottom progile line, and that might help as well.

(Goose3) #1378

Test report latest released build:

What a wonderful job you did @dom2. Being finally able to play with republican Ai support adds a fantastic new aspect to the game. This is the most fun I had since FX Galaxy or Cataclysm remaster.

At current rate the Republicans are by far the weakest faction of em all. Having been able to see how the AI handles things it became obvious that they terribly fall behind in the corvette sector. They not just die rather quickly but they also inflict lesser damage or so it appears.

In large fleet engagements the republicans usually lose due to that mentioned lack of firepower for their corvettes. in the frigate sector they seem to handle themselves fairly well against all opposition and so does their strike craft.

The new destroyers shine with a decent firepower and fine armor hull plating. They felt more powerful compared to other factions but considering the time it takes to build em and their prizes I think they’re okayish.

Their battlecruisers are by far real beasts… They can tear apart whole fleet formations of frigates in no time while taking a lot of pounding as well. 1 on 1 against other bcs they also feel rather balanced thus far.

My conclusion: The corvettes could require a slight buff. In matches vs the ai I felt that they are rather useless.

Small visual bug discovered:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #1379

Thanks @goose3, as always really useful feedback!

Not sure what is going in with the proximity sensor… I’ll look into the corvettes. It might be partly because the ai has no idea how to use emp corvettes…yet…

(REARM V2) #1380

The sensor thing is that there’s no polygon, so you can see through. On the Hiigaran Carrier that part is embedded in the ship.

Nevertheless it looks huge and the vertical orientation surprised me.

(ajlsunrise) #1381

it’s a ship, not a subsystem

(REARM V2) #1382

It’s a ship??? Well if you turned a sensor array into a ship, then surely you would cap that missing polygon.

(ajlsunrise) #1383

ummm…

Proximity Sensor Probes are an actual thing in the vanilla game.

(REARM V2) #1384

Are we talking about the same thing? I’m talking about the Carrier sensor subsystem model pointing upwards. The one marked on the last picture with an arrow saying “as it should be”. Where’s the source of this confusion?

(ajlsunrise) #1385

oh. idk… thats not the proximity sensor ship, so idk…

i dont remember what the carrier’s sensor array looks like.

(Leviathans Wrath) #1386

Good to see u again aj