Back in 2004 there was a HW2 mod called the Taiidan Republic Mod. There was a lot of enthusiasm from the community at the time, but sadly the mod died out without producing much tangible content…
So it is with some trepidation that I announce my intention to re-start the Taiidan Republic Mod for HWRM. I have tried to contact the original team members, but unsurprisingly after 10 years most of them have disappeared. This means I am starting with none of the original assets (although I am intending to re-use some of the concepts from the original mod).
The vision is in the first place to create a full and coherent fleet of distinctive Taiidan Republic ships for HWRM. Further aims include Taiidan Imperial ships from the HW2 era and a single player campaign. I intend to make all ships “open source” and free to use by any other mod - so if this crashes and burns like the original mod, hopefully I will have produced something that someone else can use in the process.
An extensive storyline was worked out by the original team, but here’s a synopsis of what I am using in terms of background:
The mod takes place after Cataclysm (which it takes as canon) and at roughly the same time as HW2. The Vaygr and Taiidan Imperials (as allies) attacked the Taiidan Republic suddenley and overran large parts of its territory. The Republic fought back from remote outposts and eventually, with Hiigaran assistance (after the defeat of Makaan), liberated the captured territory.
For clarity I will be using the same text format styles as Homeworld Shipyards when I post story bits in this thread. That is:
- Non-canon fiction (#FCE922)
- Canon fiction (#00CCFF)
Working plan for the mod (items 3 and 4 are very much long term aims):
Taiidan Republic fleet
New ships for the republic.
Republic vs Vaygr single player campaign
The campaign will be released in stages, once the ships for each mission are completed.
- Chapter 1: carrier-based (4 missions)
- Chapter 2: mothership based (4 missions)
Taiidan Imperial fleet
A fleet of new imperial ships in the HW2 era.
Republic vs imperial single player campaign:
- Chapter 3: carrier based, playable as either republic or imperial (4 missions)
- Chapter 4: mothership based, playable as the Republic (4 missions)
Some 2019 timescales (subject to change):
- Jan 2019 - Field platform completed (sort done, got a bit distracted and it isn’t in the release yet…)
- Mar 2019 -
Destroyer completed(only one month late…)
- May 2019 - Shipyard completed
- Jul 2019 - Battlecruiser completed
- Oct 2019 - Mothership completed
- TBC – chapter 1 mission 2 with corvettes
- TBC – chapter 1 mission 3 with platforms
- TBC – chapter 1 mission 4 with frigates & multiplayer carrier only with completed ships
- TBC – AI
Attempts to contact the original team did not result in floods of people (or indeed any people) wanting to restart the mod… If you are interested in joining please contact me by PM.
Current team list:
- @Dom2 (founder, jack of all trades, master of none)
- @nathanielmattock (scripter, joined Oct 2015, inactive since 2016…)
- @radar3301 (scripter, joined Jan 2016)
- @Talros (concept artist, modeller, texturer, joined Jan 2016)
- @fideliscolatus (French translator, tester)
- @larvae (modeller, joined Mar 2019)
I am indebted to the following people for their help in testing the various versions of the mod (I can’t @ them because I have too many @s in this post…):
Thanks to NASA for their detailed image of pluto, which was used to create the Ice Moon map.
Thanks to “priteeboy”/“chromattix” who created this Gas Giant resource pack that I used for the Gas Giant map:
In December 2015 the first “teaser” or demo was released on the steam workshop.
In August 2017 the mod was publicly released on steam workshop in its preliminary form. It has been continually updated since then:
Below is a list of the planned ships for the Taiidan Republic fleet. The list is formatted to show the progress of each ship.
Status for ship list:
Work In Progress
T A I I D A N ~ R E P U B L I C
- Capital Ships
- Utility Ships
For the latest screenshots, scroll down or check out my screenshots here:
We also have a Mod DB page: