Even though I can’t wait to play the remastered single player story again.
I am even more interested in moding.
And thus raises allot of questions.
Things we more or less know (correct me if I am wrong)
- Moding will be supported officially and through steam workshop.
- There will be moding tools (with UI) and dev support!!
- Some of these tools require 3rd part programs (3ds max, graphics
- The workflow path will be to create new game assets (and not
pulling them from the games to edit, ie one way street)
- That allot of the engine and all of the graphic assets have been
totally overhauled. There will be a map editor.
- The .dae format will be used for some 3d assets. (specificity
the flavour 3ds MAX outputs)
Some questions I have that should be easy to answer. (some might have been doable before but often it was fighting uphill, any mod dev help here to simplify would be well received)
- What version of 3ds MAX is the scripting geared toward? (Max can get
funky on version comparability)
- What version of LUA is being used?
- Is the “chance” based combat system in place? or is a simulation
based system in place? or something in-between?
- With the chance system how are subsystems handled? ie if you shoot
the main hull is there any chance of hitting a subsystem? or if the
subsystem is being shot at any missed shots hit the hull? I forgot
how HW2 handled it (A mod idea I had involved using the buildable
subsystems as hull armor/weapon/engine/extras mounts points, and the
“core” of the ship was just a small framework where you added all
main hull components. So behaviour of incoming weapons would play a
big role on if and how those big subsystems are handled. (any info
here would be great)
- I still have a old xls spreadsheet with scripts from HW1 days that a
dev made that was invaluable to deal with mass ship stat
modification. It made it very easy to change/tweek ships for balance
and view them vs each other. Something like that or better would be a
great asset. Is something like that planned as a tool?
- Will there be a ability to change/mix game rules/styles? Like
elements of HW1 like parallel ship building and hw2 subcomponents?
formations and non formations? or is this just all script based? etc
Things I would like to see (and I am sure others will also)
- To be able to give any ship special abilities or more then one.
- Extendible special abilities, the moding ability to add new special
- To have basic mod support for shielding (if they can’t be added robustly
by moders), permanent default attribute and momentary special
ability. recharge, ( I am sure all sorts of modders would love
- To be able to have a weapon shot spawn another weapon(s) (with
additional controls like type, number and spread) I know there are
some capabilities for this but they where limited to mainly misses
and mines. Bomb pumped laser comes to mind, but also shotgun like
weapons, more controllable mervs etc. (some other games have had very
robust support here)
- More robust repair and docking features. (again elements exited and
people did some great stuff but there where also allot of painful
- Access to the AI some moders are very good at extending this (look at
what was done with SupCom)
That is it for now, I would love some answers , but even hints or simple Yes/No’s would be useful for now.
Also I am sure others can come up with more to add here. lets see them!