Mods not working remastered or classic

I just picked up Homeworld remastered last week, use to play Homeworld back in the day so was really looking forward to this remastered version. What also drew me in was the number of fun mods for the game as well. The problem I found was none of them work. I got the remastered version of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica for classic. When I try to play Star Wars, after selecting The Empire for myself and another race for the opponent in CPU vs Player I hit start it goes to the process bar then kicks me out to steam with a General Failure error. On Battlestar don’t even get to the menu, goes black then I see my cursor spinning then kicks me to steam. Now if the solution is to lower my graphics then what is the point of playing the game if I can’t play it as intended. If anyone has any solutions besides lowering graphics that worked for you I’m all ears. Thank You, Just an aside the game itself works fine, it’s when I try to use the mods it does not.

None of the mods for the Remastered version will work until the authors rebuild their mods to work with the major update which was released two weeks ago. A few are finished currently, but large ones will probably take weeks to months still.

I’m unsure about mods for the classic games though.

1 Like

I don’t understand… you’re trying to use the remastered mods on the classic game ?

no just the battlestar mod which is just for classic

ah ok, your formulation was confusing, sorry.

As @Migz_DH said about remastered mods, it’s normal than they’re not working with the last patch (StarWars in your case).
But for BSG it’s strange, as all the pre-remaster mods should still work on HW2 classic. Did you try running HW2 classic with the -luatrace command added to it, to check what could go wrong by looking into the hw2.log file ?

ok i’ll try that with the battlestar mod

where do you put the -luatrace is that in the commandline where you select the mods?

the easiest method is into steam, right-click HWRm Collection, then “Properties”, then “Set Launch Options…”, and here enter -luatrace.

It should create a log (hwrm.log or hw2.log) into the \bin\release\ folder of HWRm or HW2 respectively.

it printed this which was very prominent

IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS TEXT IN THE HW2.LOG FILE THEN THE SHADOWANDLIGHT.FP SHADER HAS FAILED TO LOAD

THESE SHADERS REQUIRE A GRAPHICS CARD CAPABLE OF AT LEAST SHADER MODEL 2.0B

is this why it failed?
i have a radeon hd 7800

do you have this message too without the BSG mod ?

edit :
your graphic card is definitely compatible with this shader version.
Which version of windows are you using ?
Could you try reinstalling directx9 with …steamapps\common\Homeworld\ _CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe ?

no rest of the game works fine, just the mods, let me run the star wars mod and see what happens

you were trying the BSG mod in classic HW2, not remastered, yes ?

try the directx9 reinstall thing too, as explain in my previous post (I don’t know if you’ve seen it as I edited it)

try also those solutions (see the Homeworld 2 Classic crashing section) :

especially the -nopbuffer thing

I’m on windows 10, now if I do the dx9 setup is that just for this game or will that effect my other games as well?

no, don’t worry, it won’t. It’s just that the dx9 librairies at not installed in win10 by default, so it could come from this, among other things

ok i’ll try that

no joy on the dx9 and as I said everything launches fine except BSG, don’t even get to the in game menu, after I launch it cursor spins then knocks me back to steam

could you copy here the full hw2.log when BSG is active please ?

Wed Jun 22 14:05:36 2016
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big’
UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\English’
Loaded Archive: 'English.big’
Loaded Archive: '76561198122538564\406249773\BSGFC.big’
Loaded Archive: '76561198122538564\406249773\English.big’
Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder
Cannot overwrite function PickRandomMusicTrackRule
Cannot overwrite function PlayTrack
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.2 build 9200),
error executing GetAssumedLatestDll() in driverConfig.lua
error executing GetAssumedLatestDllVersion() in driverConfig.lua
error executing AdjustForBadDrivers() in driverConfig.lua
Using ATI Technologies Inc.'s 4.5.13431 Compatibility Profile Context 16.150.2211.0 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series renderer (Suspected driver is 0)
Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big’
Loaded Archive: 'Music.big’
SOUND – created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
Build name:
Built by : builduser
Data path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data
Program "!!ARBfp1.0

OPTION ARB_precision_hint_fastest;

#OPTION ARB_precision_hint_nicest;

#######################################################

Modified by CnlPepper to remove lighting stages

Modified by CnlPepper to remove unnecessary code

Modified by CnlPepper to add bilinear interpolation

#######################################################

IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS TEXT IN THE HW2.LOG FILE THEN THE SHADOWANDLIGHT.FP SHADER HAS FAILED TO LOAD

THESE SHADERS REQUIRE A GRAPHICS CARD CAPABLE OF AT LEAST SHADER MODEL 2.0B

ATTRIB coordShadow = fragment.texcoord[0]; # shadow texture coordinates

ATTRIB coordTex = fragment.texcoord[1]; # alpha (diffuse) texture coordinates

#PARAM texScale = { 4096, 0.0002441406, 0, 0}; # scale factors for shadow texture (4096x4096)

PARAM texScale = { 2048, 0.0004882813, 0, 0}; # scale factors for shadow texture (2048x2048)

#PARAM texScale = { 1024, 0.0009765625, 0, 0}; # scale factors for shadow texture (1024x1024)

#PARAM te¤ù
Loading low quality shadow fragment program

did you try the solutions given here ?

there is a section concerning HW2 Classic, and a known bug with “recent” amd drivers (you should at least try the atioglxx.dll thing)