More players means more enemies means better loot

Do we have any idea about how to quantify the statement in the title? My current mode of operation is to use two characters, in split-screen mode. Alpha is the one who does the shooting and Beta collects XP/Eridium. Whether paired or solo, I don’t notice the enemy count increasing by much. For example, the Road to Sanctuary involves battles between the player(s) vs. Bewm/Boom and Captain Flynt. The bosses do not increase in count, nor does it seem like the NPC mob does either. I can’t tell if the difficulty of the enemies (as in HP) is increasing.

Without a noticeable penalty in enemy count or health, why not just add a second teammate and get the benefits of a teammate with a team mod, gaining a larger magazine size or a lower shield recharge delay? I think split-screen is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It means a higher probability of higher tier enemies who have bigger loot pools. So more Nomads, Badass/Super Badass, etc. Each spawn is still random though. so you’ll only notice a real difference if you (a) somehow get up to 4-player count and (b) keep track of everyone you face in every mob.

The other thing is that select enemies (Terramorphous being one) do give you more rolls of their entire loot pool based on player count. That does not apply to every raid boss though.

1 Like

I have been attempting to quantify enemy difficulty and loot drop rates/ loot quality.
Until recently, my team size was limited to only two players at a time. The primary farming location was the floor which featured Uranus bot, his associates (hacked loaders), and one occasional Very Badass loader. My team consisted of one fighting character and one mule. Gaige was the battler. Depending on how sloppy I played, one to four hacked loaders would invade the corridor leading to the elevator. A very badass loader would only show up once or twice in ten rounds. No big hassle keeping everything in control. I would estimate that the legendary and higher loot drops averaged around one per round. There were rounds where no Eridium dropped.
Then I added a third and then a fourth team member. Gaige got replaced by Sal. No additional humans, just me playing with 4 controllers and two monitors. Eridium was plentiful and never absent with 3 or 4 team members. As for the all important legendary and better gear, they usually increased with team count and level. Here are the drop quantities per 10 rounds:

This batch consisted of one level 80 (Sal), one 78, one 72 and one 38. Only Sal did any fighting. Leveling was going on during the 40 trials.

The results are encoded as follows- each digit is a count of legendary or better gear in a round. Average drop rate is 1.35 per round. The falloff on the fourth batch may be due to team strength and Paul Hellquist’s warning about lower drop rates with stronger team composition. Or it could just be due to RNG.
Enemy difficulty is hard to measure. A ballpark estimate is 10-25% stronger for each additional player added. I base this on the amount of ammo consumed, whether playing solo, two, three, or four players. The standard deviation on ammo used is high. This is due to random bad shots from the Sand Hawk.
There was a big difference between additional enemies present when I was playing Gaige vs. Sal. Because Deathtrap was not on the front line with Sal, there was almost no penetration by hacked loaders or the very badass loader. More and better enemies vs. player count was only a problem with Gaige plus one or two additional teammates. When Gaige had two teammates, we were subjected to two FFYL episodes, which never happened with just one teammate. The gal or DT seem to attract trouble!
There is an open question (enemy strength vs. team size) on the web, and may only be answered with calibrated weapons and enemies. My tendency is to attempt to level two or more characters at the same time, and I wonder if I am shooting myself in the foot with this strategy. What if this technique results in longer battles and increased death rate?

It’s in the names - specific base types, then any prefix added to them. There’s really only a few tiers in terms of loot pools. There’s the grunt tier enemies, then the ones that get prefixes like badass, super badass, and ultimate.

There’s a complete list of names here:

For DLC and head-hunter versions, you just have to figure out which main game enemy they were based off: so Anchormen in DLC1 are derived from Goliaths, etc.

Keep track of the number of each enemy type, and you’ll have a better idea of difficulty.

One caution: you’ll need way more than 10 runs (like 100 or more) to derive any meaningful conclusions, because you’re looking for differences in both spawn rates and drop rates which start quite low.

1 Like