Movies: General Discussion

I was thinking about nostalgia’s ability to turn crap into gold. Somehow G vs K is better, acceptable, gets a free pass since we all have a history with the IP.

This is why Star Wars can churn out crap after crap after crap and everyone gobbles it up gladly.

Conversely……

We watched Joker tonight.
Now I’ll start by saying that I left all my preconceived notions about what this movie would be a the the door and dammit was I ever impressed. Obviously Joachim Phoenix is going to kill it because he’s Joachim Phoenix, but Todd Phillips who directed and co-wrote it similarly knocked it out of the park. I mean, this is the guy who did Old School and Starsky and Hutch and he absolutely owned my attention.

So the conversely part : this movie was not that well received by the critics. 68% on RT, which is not bad but compare that with that dogshit G vs K getting 75% and obviously something’s at work. And I wonder if it’s because Joker confounded expectations. Critics assumed it should fit into a nice little box and it very much didn’t. G vs K fit neatly into their expectations : yep it’s garbage but it’s fun garbage. And you had me at Mecha.

Anyways, kudos to the entire production staff on Joker. Every frame perfect. Every sound perfect. Why the hell did it take me so long to watch it?

4 Likes

Seeing as it could be the most iconic franchise in film, I really should have a better relationship with Star Wars. Still not made it through the original 3 without falling asleep or moving on without finishing it. Yet I make it through tosh like Godzilla haha. Can’t remember anything from the prequels except Jar Jar Binks and a speeder race. and not seen any of the new lot at all. Though I probably should as I liked the reboot of Star Trek Abrahams did. Did manage to watch the Mandalorion though.

Joker is a great film Jefe. The only reason it is getting slammed is due to its irresponsible attitude to mental health. It then of course got caught up in the fun game of go rate something a 1 because rahhh mental health or any other reason I abstractly hate a cast member for whatever cancel reason of the day, that is so popular these days. Not quite sure what these people were expecting going in to see it. I hardly cued it up thinking Joker, I bet that is an almost documentary like look at the mental health systems of the day. It’s the God darn Joker. Just be glad we did not get Arnie as Mr Freeze again lol.

2 Likes

The first Star Wars is a fine space adventure movie, but I have an unpopular opinion that pre-Star Wars the 1970’s had some of the best speculative fiction films ever made and Star Wars’s popularity has overshadowed most of them.

4 Likes

For all the many examples of how Star Wars revolutionized the film industry, one typically sees the more sober examples of how it ruined and dumbed down cinema. Straight lines can be drawn to Disney’s monopoly for example. So yeah, SW and Empire are great action movies but nothing like what the so-called New Hollywood filmmakers were otherwise doing.

5 Likes

I really would not have much experience with this stuff at all myself Gen. I should mention when I say I never got into Star Wars, it is not a specific dig at the series itself really in my case. I hated pretty much all space Sci-Fi as a kid Star Trek, Babylon etc with a few notable exceptions (Aliens comes to mind). I was a pretty odd kid, spaceship battles did nothing for me at all. I honestly was the weirdo switching it over to the Reading with Lenny learning type channels when that stuff was on. I loved fantasy settings as a kid, and I enjoyed most stuff that took place on alien planets as long as they did not involve actual space lol or the more reality earth based fare.

It was not really until Firefly came along I was ever truly hooked into Sci-Fi (re-watched this last month actually, still not found anything I enjoyed as much.) I now have quite a fondness for it as an adult, and watched most of the modern space operas and films that crop up nowadays. I just have not quite managed to take the backwards step and watch most of the stuff that I hated when I was younger. So I am now a Sci-Fi convert. Still hate space battles though and is the most likely cause of me zoning out in a show or film. The one Show I am determined to try watch at some point was the Battlestar Galactica remake, because my friend has been at me for about 20 years now to watch it lol.

2 Likes

I watched SW IV a couple of weeks back. It’s actually not that great of a movie, for which I mostly blame George Lucas’ crummy dialogue. SW V still remains the standout of the series in my book. In terms of Sci Fi, it’s easily beaten by 2001, Bladerunner, and Silent Running. And if you consider it as more comic book/comedy, it still gets beaten hands down by Galaxy Quest and Far Star (I think that’s the right name - the one with the dude who surfs on a piece of wreckage right at the end).

4 Likes

How to put that? I got into Star Wars as a kid and Episode VI is one of my most vivid childhood cinema memories.

My view on the original trilogy therefore is a little distorted by nostalgia-tinted glasses. I still like those movies, but after rewatching them in my twenties, I had to admit: they’re not that good.

Things that ten-ish year old me didn’t mind (space teddybears, plot holes of all kinds, authorial saving throw making Luke and Leia siblings and the question why the biggest space fleet in the known universe didn’t simply went orbital bombardement on the Hoth rebel base instead of staging an infantry attack) now pop up each time I see one of the movies…

I watched the Episode I to III trilogy once for nostalgia and gave up on the new ones after Episode VII. I didn’t even bother with the last ones.

The exception is the ‘everybody dies’-flick Rogue One. That one was actually good in my opinion. Sadly, it’s the exception.

6 Likes

Not to be nitpicky, but I’m pretty sure said infantry attack was made due to the base’s shield generators preventing an orbital bombardment. Granted, I haven’t seen the film in years so I might be misremembering something.

6 Likes

You’re right, there was something along those lines.

The shield had to be opened to let the Alliance ships through. Leading to the question how the AT-AT walkers were dropped onto the planet surface, why they had no air support by tie fighters if carriers got through and so on…

For now, I have no satisfying explanation :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Seconded. I really liked that movie. I enjoyed Solo as well, although for different reasons. It’s not a great movie but, as these things go, it’s a lot better than many of its siblings.

4 Likes

Well, beyond space movies the 1970’s were when issues like climate change, the growth of huge corporations, and government corruption came into the public consciousness. And what you could actually show in movies began to change.

You get things like the first Mad Max, Rollerball, Soylent Green, etc. And of course my favourite movie, Death Race 2000 (see profile pic).

3 Likes

Certainly they were smarter on average.

Planet of the Apes, Solaris, any of Kubric’s, Lucas’ own THX, Fantastic Planet (!!!), Soylent, Westworld, Logan’s, Man Who Fell to Earth, Close Encounters, Alien, Stalker (oh man I could go on about that one), etc, etc.

All these are better than SW in every way except production.

5 Likes

I liked all the ones you just mentioned Gen. It was never that I hated Sci-Fi thankfully only space Sci-Fi or I would have missed out on some fun stuff over the years. I remember having the full uncut Death Race 2000 on VHS, when it was banned over here. It eventually got released but it was cut to ribbons. Rollerball was essentially what inspired one of my favourite games as a kid. Speedball (2). Music in that game was amazing for the time. Then again it was a Bitmap Brothers game and they were always the masters of game music in that era.

3 Likes

Joker is on HBO the other day. The fam watched it again with the kids (covering their eyes on some scenes especially on murray). great film that i wish would have a part 2 to see what happens next and how joaquin phoenix will deliver it.

2 Likes