Music, More Accurately, the Lack of It

Seriously, there’s only music at the very start and very end of matches, and I rarely hear it in PVE. What gives? I know it exists, and I know it’s good, but it’s so sporadic and quiet! I have my TV at a really high volume with music at max and sound effects really low just to get a glimpse. It’s bad enough where I now have my own music in one ear bud! Is it just me? I loved the music in Borderlands, and from things like the Deande trailer we know it’s not like they’re tone deaf (wrong usage, I’m aware lol). Whyyyyy?
EDIT: example of how great it is
BTW Temples Ends gets stuck from 36 to 49 so just skip foward a bit

1 Like

The Borderland series definitely has some of the best OSTs of any game out there; I’m also a bit perplexed as to where the music went in this game. The end music for Outskirts is pretty badass I have to admit; wish there was more.

2 Likes

There’s a pretty enthusiastic track that plays at the start of The Sentinel for some reason. Every time I hear it, I think, “oh yeah! This game has next to no music!” :wink:

My guess would be they wanted to focus on the characters interactions and smart ass comments. If there was a constant low key music in the background people would miss some of the humor.

1 Like

Dude I was just thinking this the other day while playing PvE with my crew. We need more epic musics. At least for boss fights… epic music and boss fights are a match made in heaven

@EdenSophia
@Rabid_Explosions
:heart:
@HobbitWarrior that’s what I was thinking, but for some situations like Heliophage and such, I find that a rousing track would help me more than a good laugh (that would likely kill me lol).

1 Like

Just so long as they don’t go the Destiny route with “epic.” My biggest gripe with that game (the only other PS4 game I have!) is the pompous space choir that erupts at any opportunity. It’s like I’m being stalked across the solar system by Gregorian monks.

2 Likes

First few plays it was completely about learning the map and absorbing the humor. Several dozen completions later on each map, I’ve started muting the tv and playing my own music as that’s the only real option.

Never played destiny, but I remember well playing Halo. I think 343 studios keeps a choir on standby. Can’t even contemplate what it’s like to ride the elevator in their building.

1 Like

Best description of anything I’ve ever heard. Mostly because of the visual of a space warrior being ambushed by holy men with a decent baritone.
@HobbitWarrior
Yeah lol, I basically do the same.

I’d love it if the music at the start of a match on Outskirts played the whole way through a match, it’s so dreary I love it.

1 Like

Agreed, I love all music. Whoa, just found this, check OP

Check OP real quick. I had no idea any of this was on SoundCloud. I love the Outback theme. Weird desert space trumpet type thing

Don’t want look as if im boasting, but I got all of it(including unused tracks) on youtube :wink:
As for the OP
Match music is exactly where it should: introduction and closure, during a match one wish to rather hear Thorn ult warnig or Tobey’s notification of Banedict, than stop to listen to some awesome tunes.
Also: I don’t have problems with PvE tracks, they are where they should be (there was patch to ensure that), and corretly audible - maybe with the exception of action cues (end too early), and Warlord Nix (no boss soundtrack).

And talking about volume: this is scaled to balance with the rest of sound sources - at max settings Dialogue has best max volume, Sound Effects are next, Music is at the bottom.

3 Likes

Interesting. I just watched a few. Thank you for the info and vids!

To be fair, as good as I remeber, I got one missing. It’d be menu theme from Closed Technical Test. Was kinda climatic, I’ll missing it.

1 Like

Listen to the Outskirts match ending music genuinely makes me tense, haha! So many close games I’ve had decided to that theme. What a great map.

1 Like

Agreed. The soundtrack in Borderlands is one of my most favorite things about the game. Brillant and perfect and really immerses you in the enviornment and the game.

But now I’m going off topic…

1 Like

I even have my music volume extremely low so I will be able to hear the characters loud and clear. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not doing this to look like a pro, or because it will improve my gameplay. I do it because I don’t want to miss ANYTHING Toby might have to say. Or Miko, for that matter.

On-topic, the music is amazing, yes. But I have to agree with the guy that I replied to, I’d rather hear the characters instead of music.
Music in PvE though, all the time, would be pretty cool.

2 Likes

When I first played him, I expected a more peaceful character. Then, “Burrrrrrn.” I forget that everyone in Gearbox’s game is a homicidal maniac