My BB disappointment

I’m mighty disappointed I didn’t keep my receipt. As such, I can’t get a refund and here you won’t even get store credit without proof of purchase. There’s $70 I won’t get back, but it does mean in the future I will think twice about giving Gearbox money. If they announced BL3 would be released in October, I’d still wait for it to go on sale in January.

Why so disappointed? Well a few things. Firstly, I loved the PvE story content but was extremely disappointed when 95% of attempts to find a group resulted in waiting 5 minutes and finding only 1 or 2 people (who often leave after seeing it’s not a full group), or not finding anyone at all and having to play by myself. I don’t want to play this game by myself, but with no one to be found in matchmaking (PC) that’s a large portion of content I won’t touch.

Then there’s the PvP. Again, extremely poor matchmaking. There were matches that were essentially 1v5, with the 1 dominating. When a single player is racking up 25+ kills in a match with only 30 kills, you’ve done a poor job balancing the teams. Not only that, but it never really felt like I was contributing much to the team, despite not being entirely terrible at the game (I’ve done my Advanced story). Even the maps themselves aren’t particularly great designs, nor are the modes particularly fun. What should have been a new shooter devolves into a moba or reuses modes from shooters nearly 20 years old. PvP is extremely unfriendly towards new players as well, and overall it just felt extremely unfun. I personally blame poor marketing - this was advertised as a shooter, when in reality it’s a 1st-person moba.

Inevitably, this game was destined to be compared to Overwatch. Seeing as almost all my RL friends were playing I decided to give it a go, and sweet jesus is it amazing. Even on my older machine it runs perfectly smoothly on “High” or above graphics, while BB struggles on lower settings. What amazed me more though was the gameplay. It’s so easy to pick up and jump straight into, even if you don’t know the heroes.

Each Hero feels quite balanced (with 1 or 2 exceptions), and the matchmaking system works almost perfectly - you will almost never be put up against a team that will dominate you, and most matches now come down to a few % on the goals. If you do get mismatched, it makes sure next game you’re not against those players and finds a more balanced one. What’s more is that it never feels like one player is dominating. Each player actually feels like they contribute, and even poor players can get kills so it never feels like you’re doing nothing.

I know the vast majority on here will think OW is “too casual”, or that the objectives/maps are too “samey”. I can assure you it doesn’t feel that way when you’re playing. I mean sure, if you sit down and play 8 hours every day for months it might get a bit dull, but long gone are the days where I (or those I know) have that kind of time to spend on a game. I can simply jump in for 20-30 minutes (or 5-10 if that’s all the time I have) and have an absolute blast. No restricted characters, no having to unlock characters, no DLC.

I realise it’s not fair to compare the two games, as they offer different things, but the comparison was inevitable as they’re both “shooters” released roughly the same time. Simply put, Overwatch does an great job at being an extremely fun shooter, and say what you will about Blizzard fanbois (no I’m not one, I hated the idea of OW until I played it, and am extremely disillusioned regarding WoD) but there is a clear reason why OW has 10+ million players while BB struggles to make a group of 5 for content…

So yes, I am extremely disappointed in Gearbox. Battleborn had so much potential and on paper seemed a much better game. It’s sad really, because this could have been a game I repeatedly came back to play. With the struggles to find a group though which will only get worse with time, I honestly don’t see myself spending any more time in the BB universe. I certainly won’t be forking out even more money to play the new story missions, and after the debacle that this game was I can’t see myself buying another Gearbox title until steam has one of their big 50-75% off sales.

3 Likes

I believe the forum you’re looking for is over here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/

19 Likes

I think the majority of your problems with BB come from lack of marketing and that the PC community just didn’t take to the game like the Console community did.

On PS4 it’s not that hard to get a team and the games are that unbalanced.

There are always going to be exceptional players who stand out, it’s as much about composition as it is about matchmaking. As for kills, this game is objective based, kills mean next to nothing if you can’t fulfill the objective.

There are multiple reasons. One is poor marketing on Gearbox’s behalf. Another is the name, Blizzard. If Gearbox tried to make a traditional FPS and CoD was released around the same time, CoD would have more players because of the name.
As for 10m+ players, sales don’t reflect the playerbase. And that’s what cash cows like Blizzard care about, sales. Sales in the first few weeks say nothing about a game’s longevity and replayability.

2 Likes

Yeah from what I’ve seen on the forums battleborn players on the PC are having as hard time with it (regarding matchmaking) I play on Xbox and yesterday I didn’t have time to get a drink before we had to choose a map which is a good sign. As much as I want to try overwatch I still love playing battleborn and don’t have the time to play two games at the same time, but by the sounds of it overwatch won’t die anytime soon so will pick it up when I get bored of bb or matchmaking becomes a joke like some PC users are experiencing

1 Like

It seems to me that Battleborn just wasn’t the kind of game you were looking for. That is not Gearboxes fault.

Sure, the matchmaking is a problem, but from what I’ve heard OW isn’t doing too good on that either, and their player base is many many times larger. I only played during the BETA so I won’t comment on my experience with it.

cough Probably because it was a Blizzard game…cough I mean did you see how much money they spent on just marketing the game? Gearbox has no chance at fighting those figures. Blizzard is one of the biggest game studios in the world!

Though marketing did kind of drop the ball on other things too, and not just because of budget. But that’s another topic.

4 Likes

There’s also going to be the amount of time that it takes for ELO to balance out.

If you’re an above average gamer and you joined right now, the game would treat you like a complete novice and match you up against novices. It’s going to take many games for ELO to put you where you actually belong.

The funny part is almost all ELO systems in place today function virtually the same, so while the OP is complaining that BB’s doesn’t work well, he’s talking about enjoying essentially the same system in OW, with the only real difference being the amount of players available to make matches with.

3 Likes

Well … yeah. On the PvP side of things, it’s supposed to be a shooter/MOBA hybrid, and was described as such pre-launch. OW is a TF2-type game, which is a different concept. I like both games, but I do think that people considering BB should be aware that the PvP is MOBA-esque in design.

3 Likes

Hmmmm this game was actually called a first person MOBA many times by the devs before release. I know this because its what turned me away from this game for awhile(now I’m addicted lol). This game was called a “hero shooter” by some media people and that’s what some people are going by. The problem is a “hero shooter” doesn’t really mean anything at all seriously the last COD game had what you could call “hero shooter” mechanics. Nobody is gonna try to compare this game with COD so why try with OW?

I know depending on where you live the pc matchmaking is not good right now but this is a never ending cycle people leave because there’s not enough players n then when new players start to play other people start leaving hopefully gbx can find a way to keep pc players playing. As far as your complaint about running into somebody who gets alot of kills,that doesn’t really matter if you’re team can pull together even a lil bit you can still win the match. I’ve had games where my team out kills the other team by 20 or 30 but if nobody is going after the objective we still lose the game.

Basically your either trolling to get a reaction out of us bb players or you just prefer the twicht shooter mechanics of ow (if I was gonna play a twitch shooter I’d go with COD they do it best) either way your in the wrong forum

1 Like

[quote=“V0LUM3, post:2, topic:1500077, full:true”]
I believe the forum you’re looking for is over here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/[/quote]Nope, that’s not what I’m looking for at all. I don’t want to write a long post in an already-existing thread, nor is my thread really about OW (if you bothered to read the first paragraphs). What I do want to do is let GBX know that I’m very disappointed, won’t be sinking more money into them any time soon, and am only not getting a refund because I threw my receipt away.

[quote=“V0LUM3, post:7, topic:1500077”]
The funny part is almost all ELO systems in place today function virtually the same, so while the OP is complaining that BB’s doesn’t work well, he’s talking about enjoying essentially the same system in OW, with the only real difference being the amount of players available to make matches with.[/quote] To be fair though, BB was poorly designed in that case. If you design a system that requires a lot of players and a lot of matches played, but then find you have no players then you’ve done a poor job. Now I’m sure GBX didn’t expect numbers to be so low, but there are other systems that seem to work pretty well with much lower populations.

[quote=“knightblaster, post:8, topic:1500077”]
I like both games, but I do think that people considering BB should be aware that the PvP is MOBA-esque in design.[/quote]I agree completely. That said, the majority of people who will see BB in stores will see it as a shooter and compare it to other shooters. Who knows, had it been marketed as a Moba it may have had a stronger community and fewer disappointed players leaving.

[quote=“bgfarmer85, post:9, topic:1500077”]
Hmmmm this game was actually called a first person MOBA many times by the devs before release[/quote]Which is a problem. Not everyone follows the details of new upcoming games, let alone what the devs are saying about it. I hadn’t even heard of BB before I read an article about it while checking to see if there was BL3 news, but from all accounts, screenshots and gameplay footage it very much appeared to be a shooter. If you cannot market it correctly, you cannot blame players for leaving.

[quote=“bgfarmer85, post:9, topic:1500077”]
Basically your either trolling to get a reaction out of us bb players or you just prefer the twicht shooter mechanics of ow (if I was gonna play a twitch shooter I’d go with COD they do it best) either way your in the wrong forum
[/quote]Heaven forbid I post on the GBX forums something that isn’t sucking up to the game, especially not in a general discussion thread. You’re no different from people on other forums (gaming and otherwise) who have the attitude of “only positive things can be posted here”. In my eyes, I detailed the reasons I wouldn’t be returning to BB, and why I wouldn’t be giving GBX any money for a while. Surely GBX would want to know things like that, and I am most certainly not trolling.
As for what I prefer, you’re incorrect. Up until now I’ve actually loathed any pvp shooter. Never played UT, Quake, CS, Tribes, TF2, CoD or DoD. My FPS experience has consisted of Half-life, Half-life 2, Borderlands and Borderlands 2.

1 Like

Care to prove?

[quote=“maskerader, post:11, topic:1500077”]
Care to prove?[/quote]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=number+of+overwatch+players

My bad, it was only 7 million. Still a couple more players than BB got through steam…

Loved BL1, loved BL2, expansions for both had one terrible one but the rest were great. BLTPS was decent, claptrap dlc was awesome however and revived my interest in it. If BL3 is anything like it’s predecessors, I’ll be glad to give Gearbox my money.

Shame you don’t feel the same way as me, but I’m glad somebody else who will appreciate their future games more will have the opportunity to pick up the game that you won’t :slight_smile:

[quote=“alexandertough, post:10, topic:1500077, full:true”]
Nope, that’s not what I’m looking for at all. I don’t want to write a long post in an already-existing thread, nor is my thread really about OW (if you bothered to read the first paragraphs). [/quote]

Yeah, I read the whole post, not just the first paragraph, and while the first paragraph has to do with your disappointment in BB, the rest of your post is basically an ad for OW trying to convince people to go try it.
Like I said, you’re in the wrong place.

2 Likes

I have no problem at all with people who want to voice their opinions on this game or any other, this game has its issues and they’ve all been discussed in detail on these forums with ideas on how to make the game better. What I dont like is somebody coming to a game forum and bashing a game they didn’t like with not even a single idea on how this game could get better just bashing and saying another game is better bc its your preference. Just because you prefer a different game doesn’t make this game bad.

From the looks of your fps history you’ve never really played a pvp fps and you thought you were just gonna jump in and be great? The fact that you having never played a competitive fps and are doing well with OW just shows the simplicity of that game…and idk about you but I don’t have the money to spend on games all the time so how about doing a lil bit of research before you buy a game if you woulda done just a tiny bit you would’ve seen that this game wasn’t what you were looking for.

Ok rant over I feel better lol

3 Likes

Clearly a troll post.
Can’t we just ignore these please? It’s getting old

Honestly, this feels like another false flag operation. One of a number of brainwashed cult cases of “Your game sucks, so you should play my game instead.” which is really unfortunate. The opening post is interestingly threadbare. Perhaps it’s my ability to actually parse through waffling and what I can only call Internet filibustering to actually get to the point of what a person is saying.

And there aren’t any real complaints here, just some generic rehashing of stuff they’ve seen in other threads with no personal stake invested in it. That’s why threads like these always raise alarm bells in my head. That’s the thing, they don’t feel like they’re coming from a fan of the game who has a personal stake in it. They feel like they’re coming from someone who desperately needs to convince us that the game is dying as people try to refund it to appease their cult overlords.

It’s all in the presentation!

If you really do have any issues that you need to air, present them clearly and cleanly. No political waffling just to fill the spaces between lines. Just present one issue, then another, then another. Each on its own paragraph detailing why you personally think it hurts the game. And there does have to be a personal investment, because otherwise how do you convince anyone that you were invested in this game in the first place?

Tired of threads like these. I really do wish that people would just air their problems instead of doing all this waffling.

8 Likes

“Theres a reason OW has 10 million players”

Overwatch appeals to the mass because it does nothing new. Tracer ability is literally glitch from BO3. Overwatch is also very easy while BB isn’t, so of course its going to appeal to a lot more people.

“BB is very unwelcome to new players”

Yes because a level 1 never got curbstomped by a premade team of level 20s in OW.

“When there is 1 person with 20 kills, your game is unbalanced”

Or the enemy team is garbage? Sorry, no one has ever got a 20 kill streak on me.

Overwatch had 2x the amount of money put into marketing rather than the actual game. That’s why its dialouge is ATROCIOUS and all it has is pretty looking gameplay. Cinematics? Not impressed. They have nothing to do with the game. BB prolouge does.

Listen bro you are dissapointed, that’s fine. Lol but no body wants to hear this garbage. We heard it all before

“WAAAH I got my butt handed to me so now im gonna go on the forums and list every possible con about the game while listing all positive ones about a game that’s not at all similar because i’m entitled!”

Go play overwatch, lol nobody will care. Just please no more posts from you bro. They are not the same game. You comparing the two only show how entitled and butthurt you got. Yo can there be a ban for the word or…words conjoined “overwatch”…please?

3 Likes

Just remember how slow borderlands and the reviews on borderland was , this game on the right track just it a slow track , borderlands iconic game was reviewed at 6’s and 7’s . across the boards till over the years some the sites changed to 9 and 10s.

if understand this game is a mmoba , unlike overwatches arena game , will understand.

Hate white knight this game, but every mmoba rode a lot of donkeys at first til they got it right. if after 6 month they still in the stables then , time be like wtf .

1 Like

if someone’s getting 20 kill streaks the games not unbalanced the enemy teams just complete sht. You also are acting like people don’t get metric sht tons of kills in overwatch. If someone gets 30 kills in overwatch is the game unbalanced?