I’d like to get my foot in the door before development begins on BL4, and I’d like some feedback on my suggestions!
First of all, my bonafides: I’ve been a huge fan of Borderlands since the first game dropped, I’ve put over two hundred hours each into BL1, BL2, and BL3. While I think each game is excellent, and stands on its own, I also think that the games have been getting steadily better. BL1 was better than no Borderlands at all, BL2 was better than BL1, BL:TPS was a Borderlands game, BL3 was better than BL2, and I have every expectation that BL4 (if there is one) will be even better than BL3 was. I just want all readers to know that I’m a huge fan of the series, and that this isn’t intended to be a long list of complaints, it’s things that I think could be even better! I write this as a fan, not a critic.
I don’t think these could be implemented in BL3, many of them are too big to ask for, some of them are so small that they honestly surprise me they weren’t in vanilla, but very few of them could be shoehorned into the existing game without an extensive rework. BL3 is in a really good place right now, and it’s best not to switch horses in the middle of a battle, but if these ideas were part of the design philosophy of BL4, I think they could really benefit the game.
I think these are all good ideas, but that doesn’t mean they are all good ideas, just that I think they are.
All of these are inspired by other games in other series, so they aren’t wholly without precedent, they just haven’t been featured in Borderlands yet.
Settings and UI:
- Low glare mode / Enemy outlines, to improve visibility in the fog of war
- Better maps and quest tracking/design (See WoW: Multi-quest objective tracking, enemy patrol zones, breadcrumb quests, hubs, nooks and crannies, etc., make all mini/map features optional)
- A “Drop/Quit/Ignore quest(s)” option (Multi-select, please)
- A “Reset quest(s)” option
- A “Reset crew mission(s)” option
- A “Reset Boss/Zone/Level” button (Save quitting is a PITA)
- More graphics options (Particle effects sliders, glare sliders, enemy outlines, widescreen, custom resolution, and weird resolution support)
- More and more extensive accessibility options (Color blind mode, big subtitles, dialogue enhancer, etc.)
- “Move,” “Scale,” “Hide,” “Show,” “Fade,” “Flip,” “Transparency,” etc., options for all individual HUD elements
- More and more extensive camera options (3rd person, distance, speed, elevation, wider FOV, shake, etc.)
- More and better audio options (Psycho scream sliders, surround and spatial options, Sound Card Support, etc.)
- More and more extensive mouse/control options (Have you ever seen a competitive Overwatch player’s config file? It’s nutso!)
- “PC friendly” interface options option
Inventory, specs, and talents:
- More Inventory Management options (Loadouts, tabs [Gear type, character, etc.] extensive sort [user custom recursive plz], search, favorite, filter, and
multi-compare functions, etc.)
- More Spec Management options (Loadouts, search, favorites, templates, “Import from .xml,” etc.)
- Item Score is extremely useless after leveling, and can even be counterproductive, please reevaluate
- More informative weapon cards (Full-auto/Semi-auto, Red text descriptors [Optional], [Base DPS], [DPS+Spec], [DPS+Gear], etc.)
- Less graphically intensive inventory management (Paper doll guns are fine)
- Multi-Sell/send/scrap from bank
- “Send to bank” directly from field or backpack
- Access bank from field (Maybe on a cooldown, requiring a talent, unique item, or quest to unlock?)
- BL3 has a Diablo sized loot system, it needs Diablo sized inventory management
- Better world hub (I’ve played for 300 hours and I still get lost in Sanctuary 3 sometimes)
- Better placed elemental barrels and traps
- More, and more frequent checkpoints and digistruct locations
- More informative target dummies (Flesh, Armor, Shield, Mobbing, Bossing, etc.)
- Longer lasting highlighting/tagging (Enemies, items, locations, etc)
- Adjust down sights view (Weapon silhouette can obscure the battlefield)
- Further refinement to Mayhem mode balance and optimization
- Further refinement to, or reevaluation of, anointments
- Larger SDUs OR more powerful bullets OR more ways to regenerate ammo
- Legendary versions of Purple guns (There are a lot of cool, fun Purple guns in the game that just can’t be used at higher difficulty levels.) OR
- “Normal” legendary weapons (No red text, just lots of damage)
- Minor mod support (Stats, rates, balance, numbers, values, tweaks, etc.)
Settings and UI:
- Customizable crosshairs (It can actually make a difference, believe it or not!)
- Custom filter/shader support (ReShade, SweetFX, etc.)
- Combat log or “What killed me!?” X seconds of instant replay
Inventory, specs, talents:
- The Manufacturer Mail Function is less useful than it could be (Maybe fun or unique items that can’t be looted anywhere else?)
- The new movement abilities (slide, slam, climb, barrel toss, etc.) are less useful than they could be
- NO. MORE. PLATFORMING. WITHOUT. A. DOUBLE. JUMP.
- More, and more varied Mayhem mode options (I actually really like Mayhem mode)
- A “Reroll Mayhem Modifiers on Death/Load/Reload/Digistruct” OPTION (I just really like roguelikes.)
- Allow users to filter Mayhem modifiers (MM may use these 23 out of 30 modifiers [in offline mode?])
- Additional gradients in Mayhem mode (1-100 instead of 1-11? Obvs. wouldn’t work in current implementation of MM.)
- Let users create custom Mayhem modes (See: HADES) [Let us upload them, too?]
- A much more informative target dummy (“Damage over X seconds” counter, etc.)
- Moderate mod support (Texture replacements, model replacements, audio replacements, custom mayhem modes, etc.)
- More weapon and character cosmetics, like, lots more.
- Maybe HUD cosmetics?
- “Smart” Mayhem mode option, the content rebalances itself on the fly, on death, on almost death, or after a period of not dying
- Melee and weapons? (After Godhand you have no excuses.)
- A super informative target dummy (DPXS, TTK/Yhp, KPXS/Yhp, Elemental damage breakdown, contribution from talents, contribution from abilities, digistruct mobs, bosses, and arenas, custom dummies, etc.)
- Procedurally generated… stuff. (Levels, dungeons, zones, enemies? I just really love roguelikes.)
- Extensive mod support (New zones, new textures, custom models, custom characters, custom specs, custom mobs, patches, bug fixes, optimizations, overhauls, etc., “The Full Skyrim”)
- “Diablo” or “Just way too much loot” mode
- “DOOM” or “Just way too much melee” mode (I <3 Slayer mode, make it a check box)
- If balancing “More than a billion guns!!!” is too hard, I mean, I’d be okay with ten million guns (depending on how you achieve it)
- Vulkan support
- Better optimizations (I have a 500gb NVME2.0 SSD that moves data at 2.5gbps, I have 32gb of high speed system memory, 8gb of video memory, and 16 CPU threads, I paid for all of the RAM, I want to use all of the RAM.)
- Crossfire/SLI support (Don’t waste your time, I just think it’s neat, if it’s a check box then check it, otherwise, yeah, don’t waste your time, I just think it’s neat.)
And the big ask: More player agency in gearing beyond just farming and vending:
- Give me more ways of finding my “Perfect Weapon” besides just farming a Traunt for seventy hours. Maybe let me break down those five/fifteen/forty crappy Kaosons in my inventory and X iridium to get one perfect/good/custom Kaoson, (after completing the extensive, multi-planet, multi-hour quest chain that unlocks the “disassemble” and “reassemble” features.)
- Allow rerolling of gear perks, stats, parts, etc.
- Allow upgrading of gear, some options:
- [Butcher lvl 56->Butcher lvl 57]
- [Butcher lvl 56->Butcher+1 lvl 56]
- [lvl 56 M6 Butcher->lvl 56 M7 Butcher]
- [BFG (Green)->BFG (Blue)]
- “Add a scope”
- A crafting system (Many good and varied sources of inspiration!)
- An “unlocking” system (“You have unlocked Variant 32 of 1,243 for The Butcher, digistruct a leveled copy for X dollars/iridium/legendaries/macguffins?”)
Some notes, because the internet is pedantic and people won’t take me seriously if I don’t also point out why everything I’ve just said is wrong:
- Many of these ideas are mutually exclusive, why would one need a crafting system and an unlocking system and an upgrade system? That would be a wasteful and counter productive use of the dev’s time. With that in mind…
- …not all of these ideas necessarily need to be implemented, I would honestly be happy to see any of them implemented, they are what I see as solutions to problems in the game, and a patch is a patch, a solution is a solution, which is why…
- …not all of these need to be implemented completely. Mod support to just adjust gun balance would be great, a training dummy that just told me DPS would be an upgrade, adding just a search function to the bank would make my life much easier, so if only half of the idea is a good one, just advocate for the half that you support.
- The “Unrealistic” list is just that, it’s too much to ask, but I’m asking for it anyway, because the squeaky wheel gets the oil, and who knows, maybe they’ll inspire a dev.
- I am literally throwing ■■■■ at the wall and seeing if anything sticks.
- Whenever possible, where ever possible, everything possible should be as optional as possible.
But I’d like to re-emphasize that any proposals I’ve made here should be as optional as possible. Some players like the glare and fog of war, these players should be allowed to turn glare and fog up to 11. Some players like the mystery of discovering red text explanations on their own, these people should be able to disable red text descriptors. Users who don’t want to use mods, or play in modded games, shouldn’t be forced to.
So anyway, what do you see that you like? What sounds like a good idea? What could be added or changed to make the ideas more gooder? What suggestions of your own would you like to see added to the list?