My BL2 Experience

With few exceptions, absolutely not, it would actually hurt you if you still got xp from those TVHM bosses. It can be worth doing specific farms at level 50 immediately after killing the Warrior and before actually starting the UVHM playthrough. You don’t have to, but if there’s something specific that you really like and think will help get started in UVHM, go for it. Just bear in mind that any level 50 gear you get will be of dubious value by level 52-53, and completely useless by 54-55. Based on your previous post it sounds like your character is above level 50, so going back to TVHM to farm anything would be a bad idea at this point.

DLCs - you’ll want the four main DLCs just for the content and story. The Marcus Saves Mercenary Day headhunter DLC is also well worth getting. The other four headhunter DLCs are optional, get them if you want them but you’re not missing much if you don’t. You almost certainly have both UVHM packs since you mentioned running Digistruct Peak in TVHM (I didn’t know that was possible - I assumed it was level 72 only!).

the Halloween HH DLC is good for farming tubbies/chubbies, the other 3 are optional

1 Like

Once again, thx for all your help and tips.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge you can run DP in any mode but you only get the official OP level gains once you’re at level 72…

2 Likes

Ok, I really need some help here. I guess you were right Worblehat, I leveled myself right out of being able to kill anyone. I’m at level 61 and I have a bunch of level 61 weapons but they have almost no effect on the bandits at all. I can’t even kill a spider ant with the weapons I have. Can you guys give me some ideas on how to get some weapons that will equalize things a bit?

Quickest and easiest solution - spend some golden keys at the chest in Sanctuary. That will get you some decent random purple stuff to get going again. In case you’re unfamiliar with getting more keys, that’s what this topic is all about.

If you’ve tipped Moxxi before for the Bad Touch and some Good Touches, just do so again for an up to date Good Touch. That’s a solid weapon that I’ve used heavily on my characters since mid-TVHM. It should handle bandits nicely for you. Also good for killing Savage Lee for a Harold, treants for Bees, and Mr. Tinder Snowflake for the loot train.

The Lascaux is another effective weapon that’s trivial to keep up to date. If you like, zone in and out of Frostburn Canyon a bunch of times before heading in to pick it up, so you get a nice selection to choose from. :slight_smile:

Also keep an eye on vending machines. You can get by with greens if you absolutely have to and they’re the right item for your character, build, and strategy. For example my Maya hit all the Dr. Zed machines looking for a better absorb shield before she did Sawtooth Cauldron; all she could find was a green one but it sufficed.

Your build is very important in UVHM, so it might be useful to post what you’re working with (looking up-thread, I’m not even sure which character you’re playing, actually) and people can offer suggestions if there’s something you could be doing differently. In my case Maya made a pretty smooth transition from TVHM to UVHM, but my Axton really didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue: You can see my thread in his subforum that resulted in some very helpful tips.

Good luck! I’m about to head out of town for the weekend but hopefully this (and advice from other folks here, of course!) will be of some help to you. Happy New Year everyone!

1 Like

if I remember right, you can only do the first run through in NVHM and TVHM, as you need to be level 72 to progress to the next run.
I’ve ran it before on some of my low levels but not recent enough to be positive

1 Like

You have to be level 72 to open up the OP levels, which you do by progressing through it past the assassins; and you can only do that in the OP levels. So yeah, you’re right: you do need to be level 72 to open up the OP levels because they’ll stay locked at OP 0 otherwise.

2 Likes

Just to make sure, are you using matching elements to enemies weaknesses and applying slag when needed? If you are shooting flesh targets with corrosive weapons - for example - you are likely going to have a bad time.

Thanks for the tips. I got some golden keys from some sites and got some weapons out of the box in Sanctuary. I didn’t even know what that box was for until I started researching golden keys. All I knew was that it kept telling me I couldn’t afford what was in it. I also got the mission from Zed to go get the Eridium gun from Doc Mercy. Then I farmed Doc Mercy until I got some infinity weapons. I got two level 63 and one level 64 infinity guns from him. He seems to drop them pretty often. I only had to farm him 15 or so times to get three infinity pistols.

I did try some different weapons on different bandits and skaggs and bullymongs and Hyperion robots and stuff to see which works the best. You’re right Lammas, slagging regular bandits then using a burn weapon on them works the best. I’m still not sure which ones work the best on skaggs, or armored psychos or others. I’m still working on that.

For a little background I’m a level 64 Axton Commando doing UVHM right now. I didn’t really figure out the skill tree thing until later in the game. I’ve just been picking the skills I thought would be best. Not really concentrating on one particular tree, so I have a LOT of leveling up to do before I can get a shield for my turret or get two turrets. So my turret is getting consistently less effective. The only class mods and relics I can use are turret cool down rates, because I can only use my turret for a few seconds before some goliath or badass nomad smashes it.

I did have one definite question for you guys today. Grenade or rocket jumping! I’ve seen it done in youtube videos and it seems as though you have to learn how to do it in the game in order to get to some areas to get ammo crates or loot crates. I’ve seen some ammo crates on top of some buildings and not been able to figure out how to get up there. I tried rocket jumping and the only thing it got me was a trip to the respawn station. So how do you do it?

Slag then fire, but best to hit them in the mouth when they roar for the critical hit

Slag then corrosive (but throw a shock grenade out if they have a pale blue bar above their yellow health bar). Critical hit locations are the “eye”, shoulders, and hips.

And that last bit gives you a clue as to what to bring to a fight. Red health bar mostly means flesh, so fire weapon. Yellow means armoured, so corrosive. And light blue means shield, so shock.

The only exceptions I can immediately think of are the bosses like Wilhelm, Saturn, and Bunker - their health bars always show as red across the width of the HUD. If you watch carefully when Wilhelm first spawns in, though, you’ll see he momentarily has a regular sized yellow health bar.

1 Like

http://bl2skills.com/commando.html#55020100005104414010005051044151
Just visit the nearest respec station- there’s one right outside the fast travel in Sanctuary. As for the class mods try this link and see what you have on hand that can help:

Also, if you have it visit the Marcus Saves Mercenary Day Headhunter dlc, aka the Loot train, each time you gain a level. It contains at least 30+ pieces of gear and can sometimes contain legendary gear (and class mods)…

Glad to hear things are coming together for you. You can always respec your skill tree at the appearance change station. I highly recommend Longbow precisely because otherwise the turret dies so quickly otherwise. The most common approach to Axton is to aim for Double Up and Gemini at the end, so I’d expect that to look something like this at level 64. There’s some flexibility to shuffle points around. Several are there just to be boosted by COMs if you have them. My Axton has a blue Engineer COM boosting Sentry and Battlefront for example, while the point in Expertise is mostly in the hope of someday getting a Legendary Soldier COM. :smile: Some people recommend points in Forbearance since damage over time effects are pretty deadly in UVHM. Having Double Up is incredibly useful for the slag.

Grenade jumping is never necessary that I’m aware of. It can be helpful to bypass stuff - the place I’ve seen it most was in Saturn farming videos to just go straight there over the fence rather than fighting through Fyrestone. You’ll always want to remove your grenade mod before trying, of course. I haven’t seen rocket jumping in this game but I’d assume you’d want the lowest level possible, maybe a level 12 Duuurp or something.

I keep finding new stuff in this game, as do people who have played 10x longer than I have. Chances are that for any seemingly inaccessible chest, there’s another way there, perhaps going past it then working your way back behind, or finding a way to get above it and jump down, etc.

1 Like

The most common thing to rocket jump with is the Badaboom. The thing is, to survive it you need a low level one. A level 12 or so Badaboom isn’t going to put a scratch on a high level shield.
For grenade jumping remove your grenade mod. The regular mod isn’t very dangerous for yourself. In both cases jump right before the explosion for max height.

Neither is required anywhere but can make farming some bosses faster or getting through certain areas easier (and faster).

There is one red chest in the Arid Nexus Boneyard right above the last pumping station that seems unreachable unless grenade/rocket jumping is used. Can’t say that I’ve ever tied that method but i know from experience that just regular climbing and jumping won’t get you there…

Well, now that you mention chests there is also another red chest in Hunter’s Grotto only reachable from Ardorton Station entry. Need grenade + speed boosts or rockets. Preferably some combination of all of them. It’s on top of the separate part of the broken bridge that’s in front of you when you enter.

So I guess there is something it’s necessary for but I’d say it’s outside regular gameplay.

Thanks for all your helpful tips guys. I’m going to try resetting my skill points. But it seems to me the game wouldn’t let me pick skills that were lower on the tree until I had done all the higher ones. That’s why I don’t have any of the lower skills like double turrets or turret shields. I’m also going to have to go back to TVHM and get a rocket launcher I can use to see if I can learn how to rocket jump.

You have to spend at least 5 skill points before the next level of skills become available. In order to get Axton’s Phalanx Shield you’d have to be at least level 20 and assigned at least 10 skill points into the Survival tree. In order to get the capstone skill Gemini you have to be at least level 31, which is where most folks finish normal mode. You don’t have to focus on a single tree while in normal but if you really want a Tier 3 or 4 skill in a tree that’s the way to go…

Well, things are looking up! At least it seems that way. I reset my skills and found out that I could get to the bottom of the skill tree without maxing out all the upper skills first. And it didn’t cost that much. I followed the example Warblehat posted of what a level 64 commando skill tree should look like. Man what a difference! My turret is much more effective than it was. Especially since I can hang it on a wall so some bad ass bandit or skagg or robot can’t just smash it. I managed to subdue Bloodwing, only to have that evil Jack blow him up!

1 Like

FYI, for all chars, every five skill points spent opens up the next layer. Therefore it’s 25 points to open up the capstone skill, so you don’t have to max out the whole tree. You can also, for example, put 10 points in two level one skills which will open up level three, so you can skip layers if needed.