My concern with BL3 story

I’m very late to the party, and I am probably going to talk about something someone probably brought it up over and over again. I apologize in advance if that’s the case.
This is just my opinion about the game. I am not saying I am correct. Actually I would love to hear other people’s thoughts and see if my idea is correct or not.

I am not gonna talk about my biggest issues with the game cuz it seems like I can find ton of videos and posts about it. My second one is actually the OST and the overall vibe of the game.
When I was finishing the campaign for the first time, I really enjoyed the OST, and frankly, I still love them. However, I started playing Borderlands 1 on my Switch a few days ago, and I realized something when I played that ECHO records of Tannis. I’ve played all Borderlands series (the most recent before 3 being Pre-sequel), but it’s been a while since the last time I played 1 and 2. And I must have forgot what I actually enjoyed from the first and second installment. That was stark contrast between dreadful and desolate settings of Pandora and the humor. When I turned on that ECHO records of Tannis, I could feel how terrible Pandora actually is and how the environment is driving people mad. If I remember correctly, that’s the feeling I got in the first few minutes of playing Borderlands 2 as well. That kind of atmosphere set up beautifully for a villain like Handsome Jack to come in and become the great villain that he was. This also relates to OST. While I really love the background music in Borderlands 3, I never actually felt that despair and dreadfulness from the first and second series. These two things combined in Borderlands 3 seemed to fail to make a great set-up for our heroes and villains to come in (Of course, this isn’t the MAIN problem lol).

I am having an AMAZING time with this game. I do have problems with the story, but I think it doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers other people. And I am not trying to take anything away from the game. I am curious to know if anybody else noticed this.

BL2 was already “woo wheee so wacky!” vibe already. But it did have some grit still, perhaps on inertia from the first game. The “lol random wackiness” got amplified further in Pre-Sequel, continued in Tales, and unfortunately remained in BL3. It is what it is. If there’s even going to be BL4, I think this direction would continue. Sillines and random “fun” humor with tons of colorful splashes all around the screen. I don’t think the series will ever return to BL1 feel.

The music in BL3 is great though, too bad the soundtrack release is incomplete.

2 Likes

BL2 might have been wacky but the humor was alot more dry and grounded, which fit the aesthetic much more imo.

3 Likes

I would agree with that sentiment. BL1 has the best atmosphere IMHO. You do feel alone, there is danger in the air, you are looking for a vault. BL2 got a bit more chatty and pushed lots of story on you: save the world and all that. BL3 sometimes does not shut up with all these streamers around.

OST seems to be mixed in a different way too - music was much more front and center in previous games. In BL3 I sometimes struggle to notice it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

bl2 had best story and sense of humour, also could debate pre sequel was also good story but bl3 is worst one so far for its bad humour, and terrible story plot with how they also develop characters.

This is more personal preference than anything but in every borderlands game I usually lower the dialogue and sound effects to around 70% while leaving the music at 100%. The soundtracks have always been a selling point for me (loved wildlife exploitation preserve just for the music)

1 Like

yeah i think the direction will continue as well. It is quite iconic to the franchise now. It’s hit or miss.
I love the OST as well!

even after 800 hours or so, I was not tired of the dialogues in BL2. But only 80 mins into BL3, and I want turn of Dialogue from certain chars.

1 Like

Even just waiting on someone to stop talking to give me another objective is enough to make me hate playing story missions.

2 Likes

Talk to Lilith…again…and again…and again.

1 Like

The cool thing with TPS is that through some dialog they account for the vault hunter in question. Was hopeful that Bl3, the could do more of that but nope.

Also with Bl3 I think they went with quantity over quality.

1 Like

Also loved how the second playthrough was just being retold for Tina, it was a small detail it added so much to tvhm

3 Likes

I realize this is your opinion… but I just don’t see that. BL2 was, by far the better story, but there is plenty of humor and character development in BL3. I can’t get past leveling up to 10 in the Pre Sequel with any VH… The constant having to replenish your O2 along with your ammo turned me off. Someday I’ll get through it all… But BL3 just plays way to well (talking actual gameplay here) compared to the other games in this series.

Again, this is all just my opinion, though. So don’t take anything I say to heart.

BL2 echo banter → oh here it comes again, i’m going to wait untill they stop, this is golden :rofl:

BL3 echo banter → ugh god :triumph: shut the f*** up allready!

2 Likes