Nature: Animals, Plants, and the Enviroment

I am not sure if there is a dedicated discussion thread on Nature, so felt it was right to start off one and post regularly.

1 Like
3 Likes

Fantastic footage, I didn’t think octopi could actually “whip” their tentacles like that. I wonder what could’ve pushed it to such an aggressive behaviour.

Anyway, what are the general guidelines of the thread? Can anybody post nature-related news, or can they also be older articles etc.?

1 Like

Any interesting old/new article or video (something fascinating, preferably wildlife. Cute cat videos can be avoided). The destruction of wildlife or nature and its politics would also be a great fit.

1 Like

For sure

1 Like

They’re pretty intelligent, and the more intelligent a species is the greater their capabilities for assholery become. Pretty sure that’s a scientific principle I read somewhere.

2 Likes

A 2015 article explaining the phenomena.

1 Like
1 Like

Wow, I knew about the weird behaviours taken up by sodium-seeking butterflies, but all the insight into how the Andes affect precipitation and thus mineral circulation in extremely interesting.

The part about pee is the cherry on the cake.

Just a MBARI page about the red siphonophore: it’s not a new discovery, but the video seems to be new footage, if I’m not mistaken.

I really like MBARI or Nautilus Live because they demistify abyssal creatures and environments, but also make them really easy to research for any landlubber.

I appreciate their effort in stressing how (contrary to popular conception) the deep ocean affects the carbon cycle, and is in turn more or less indirectly affected by climate change and pollution.

1 Like