Noctua NH-D15
EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard GA-H110M-A
Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core
WD Blue 1TB
Ballistic Sports 8GB Ram
Any ideas on how to improve this build?
Would especially like to hear from @Spunky117 as I know that he is good at this type of thing

Add a Solid State Drive and 8GB more of ram and you’re good to go for a while. Eventually you’ll want to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 when those drop in price as the performance boost from either of them compared to a 1060 is quite a bit. I’d opt for the 1070 as I have one myself and can safely say it’s the best card i’ve ever owned.

Any specific SSD recommendations

I’ve always had the better luck with Intel or Samsung.

alright gonna start researching SSD’s

You have a overclockable cpu but your motherboard isn’t able to overclock.
Either change the board or change the CPU + air cooler.

As Spunky said get a SSD atleast for booting windows, my recommendating is a samsung one as they are uselly the best price to performance.

On a personal note I’d say go with AMD over Nvidia ween it comes to GPUs but that’s personal preference.

got a specific idea for the motherboard or am I gonna have to do more research

question how many GB’s should I get on the SSD

actually, i just found a 500 GB Samsung SSD for 140$ on amazon does this sound good https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G844L88/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHG2MI785YUY7 @Spunky117 @itsTwister

If you want to overclock you need a Z170 board, my person favorite brand is GIGABYTE.
Pick one with the features you need.

If you’re only going to use it as a boot drive 500 is overkill, those SSDs are great though.
Go with whatever size you feel you need, most people go with a 120 gb one for windows and a 1 tb HDD for games etc.
My personal rig has one 120gb SSD for Windows and drivers etc. and a 500 gb SSD for games, both are Samsung evo 850s.

alright so I think I’m going to use a 120gb SSD https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-750-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-750120BW/dp/B01AAKZRPW/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N28ZDCAVREPHA5NMNRCH alongside the wb blue
@itsTwister

Good choice.

but I don’t think that I’ll use something higher than the 1060 because I’m already 1.2 grand as I’m building this from the scratch

I might buy a better motherboard so I can overclock is this the motherboard you were talking about earlier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012N6E996/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALGI22DCR8EFU

At least 16 gb ram, your psu also isnt strong enough. Id say get an evga 850. Whatever power you NEED, double it.

@itsTwister
@Spunky117
Do I need to do what @poisonedbite is saying for this to work

No not really. You don’t need twice as much. I usually opt for 150w more. I’ve had a 750w for 7 years. Never ran into any issues

2 Likes

but how many watts do I need if I want to be minimalistic af

650 is usually a good starting point

k 650 it is