Needing help starting a mod

So I have been searching on google/youtube for modding homeworld RM for a at least 2 days, I am a complete newbie making mods but I am familer on how to model/script. Anyway point is I don’t know where to start with, I been stuck on step 1 and have no idea on to even start working on building a mod. I really would like to create a mod for HW-RM so I can share my creation with everyone and hoping to enjoy. If anyone can please give me proper steps on how to start on modding on HW I will deeply appreciate it. Thank you!!!

1 Like

I say start here, look at what’s already been done :wink:

Could you tell me what 3D modeling programs you own or know how to use?
Blender
3Ds Max
Etc…

Also here’s the tools I made:

If you use Blender I can help since I’ve gotten pretty good at the process now :smile:
(And if not can still prob help debug things that HODOR vomits on)

1 Like

Yes this guy is a life saver :smile: 10/10

Blender and Maya LT

WOW THX!!! :smiley:

ok i know a bit of blender and as @Xercodo said he knows his way around a blender!

so if it were me i would stick to blender and ask Xercodo for most of your problems :smile:

Yea I haven’t use blender in a while though but I am a bit rusty unless they haven’t change anything.

Has anyone tried using Cinema4D?
I know it’s mainly for 3d animation but it’s what I’m familiar with. I know it has a .dae exporter.

C4D was what I started with back in the HW2 modding era. That’s where I modelled and “UV’d” these:

There’s really no point in me telling you this though, except to share an old story about trying to use C4D to do Homeworld modding. It was a horrible workflow. The problem, I am sure, was that the C4D I had was (or, is) absolutely ancient. No real UV tools, which turned the mapping process into a nightmare and I didn’t even know it (when I was introduced to Wings’ unwrapping capabilities, it seemed almost like black magic). Horrible, terrible modelling tools by any standards (no line control, no normal or plane selection to choose transformation vectors, etc.). Throw-up-worthy export procedures (meshes were frequently exported inside-out for no reason, z-axis disagreements, no saved edge smoothing). Making the switch to Wings3D was the biggest and single most instrumental upgrade in my Homeworld modding process. But that’s not to say that modern C4D would necessarily be a bad choice. If you ever find out, let me know!

1 Like

Well C4D has gone through some huge revamps. Probably totally different from what you remember.

Here’s what I did a while ago. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNRTrUWhi0

It’s pretty stuttery since I wasn’t willing to wait 2 days for my slow pc to render it at a higher framerate. (The original file plays alright, but YouTube screwed it up)

That was really cool! Are those lens flares native to C4D now?

I should say that in all my complaining about C4D above, you’ll notice I had no ill comments as to its rendering capabilities. I still use my ancient C4D a LOT, but not for modelling or anything game related. As an animator it remains what I would consider to be pretty sick even unto today.

(My avatar image is a render out of my old C4D for example.)

Thanks!

Sadly no, the text and flares was done in After Effects. Though C4D does have its own lens flare effects.

I agree that C4D’s main strength is in animation rather than modelling (though animating that camera was damn frustrating). Though it does have Bodypaint 3D which is supposed to make texturing and UV mapping much easier. I’ve never tried it.

Actually how would I use “HODOR” meaning how would I start out, I got the thing from github but what steps do I take from there than onto importing models/making them work. This will be my first ever mod.

There’s a file called (I think) “MyParams.hodor”. You can copy it, rename it and edit it in a notepad. That’s your script describing what is being loaded, where from and where it’s exported.
You open HODOR in a command line. In Windows, go Start, type CMD. Then something along these lines:

cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\GBXTools\HODOR”

Which loads HODOR. And then for instance:

HODOR.exe -script=MyParams.hodor

or HODOR.exe -script=‘your_ship’s_name’.hodor

More about it here:

1 Like

Well besides getting my tools, I highly suggest at least 2013 community edition of visual studio. It can be used to open daes and look at them to ensure that everything came out the way you thought.

Go subscribe to the 4 examples gbx put on steam and you can poke around in their dae files to see the data structure they use.

On the surface every model has a ROOT_LOD[0] and a ROOT_INFO on it and the collider info is on ROOT_COL. To make this really easy go and get the HW toolkit for Blender https://github.com/DKesserich/Better-Collada-Exporter-HW-Edition-

At the absolute bare minimum you can take a cube, and make into a ship using the tool kit (make sure it;s triangulated) and export it to a dae (make sure to use the HW version). Then you can use HODOREST to send it through HODOR. You give HODOREST a path to your HW directory (so it can find HODOR itself) and a path to a sort of main “output” directory(probably something like C:/ModName/Data/ship") and the name will be used to make the proper file structure for you (you’ll see a preview of the final output path to be sure)

Pick your dae, make sure the ship you wanna work on is checked in the list and hit Run. Once it;s done you’ll have a HOD you can use. Make sure to copy over a .ship and .event file to go with it and try it in-game.
(for that part I suggest a butchered version of a scout. You’ll need to comment out the weapon, latch points, and the engine trail definition so the game doesnt crash looking for those.)

Pretty much the cliff notes version for ya.

There is something slightly different about the dae format used by Max. I tried importing a HWRM dae into Google Sktechup to see what would happen - no joy…

If you wanna look at existing daes I highly suggest Visual Studio Community Edition.