Negativity in the Battleborn Community

:thumbsup: for that analogy.

Now this is pure gold. :heart:
I think that the different attitude of casual and competitive players towards ‘min-maxing’ is at the core of this.

• As a competitive player, you’re prone to work around your character’s strengths, trying to maximize efficiency.
  • As a casual player, you’re open to new ideas, experimental playstyles, but not as fixated on efficiency.

A team can benefit from both perspectives, but it takes some work and the will to cooperate.

• For the ‘pros’, this means if you see someone playing ‘wrong’, give advice. Explain why it isn’t good. Trying to teach is the only time-efficient way to go.
    If you can’t (or they just don’t listen), try to fit them into the group as the role they want to play.

• For the ‘noobs’ (no insult, couldn’t find a more suitable term), this means to differentiate between hostile comments and useful advice. If someone takes the time to tell you how you could improve, it might be worth listening. If you feel that you don’t like to live up to the expected role of your character, try another.

I must say i never got my head wrapped around this concept. Maybe the fact that english isn’t my native language adds to my problems, but if someone yells at me or makes fun of me, I consider that hostile.

5 Likes

It’s hard to agree with you when this little shiner is in there. The point of the game isn’t to play how you want, its that there’s a playstyle for everyone, but if you play as a dedicated support, and never heal you’re not fufilling your class role. This is still a competitive game, and you are expected to actually try.

While I do agree that people are too harsh on one another, supports like Ambra and Miko are just not as effective at murder as some of their comerades. Whatever that battle Miko is attempting to accomplish could have been done faster and more easily by the teammate they just left to die.

I could see how that could be confusing. At the same time, being sarcastic and fake hostile to one another is as part of my regional culture as anything i can imagine. It is a shame that people mistaken it for being mean when it is more often good natured.

There is also a difference between being cheeky and flat out yelling at other people. I’m just worried whenever people encourage being nice. Not everyone’s idea of nice is the same.

1 Like

It’s kinda subtle, but yeah, one can usually pick out the difference if one is fluent in the language. Can’t recall the names of the specific linguistic concepts at work there.

You say ‘regional’, I say ‘Army’. You know they don’t like you when they STOP talking s**t to you. :wink:

Win or Lose I’m here for fun

2 Likes

Are you serious! This isnt a game guys. This is real life. Death in battleborn=death irl. Its not a game to me, that means its not a game to anyone. Understand? This game is my life and YOU all need to take it seriously, cause if you dont then basically what you’re saying is that my life is meaningless. WOW! How dare you say that! This isnt a game and you need to take it more seriously, wins=I’m better than all of you, and I need you guys to know that. Jeez, is that to much to ask for!

2 Likes

Nobody likes a quitter, no matter how you polish it.

Now, don’t get me wrong… messaging you is all sorts of “It’s just a game nuts”. However at the end of the day you quit the game before it’s conclusion, you abandoned your teammates. You were a rat leaving a sinking ship. Your reply was really just passive aggression if you think about it.

He could of answered you with "Why did you not try to improve communication? Do you only want to complete games you are winning? If it was that bad why did you not call for a surrender using the system the game provides for you?

At the end of the day… you DID rage quit. You were losing and you left because it upset you, and that my friend is a rather trashy thing to do.

I know what you mean and an obvious point. Just to provide a counterpoint however to your sarcasm.

This game occurs in real life, people have to use their real life time to play it. Wasting peoples precious free time is a serious consideration even if a game is not.

I don’t want matches handed to me. I want to win matches through teamwork and communication.

I tried to communicate with my teammates multiple times. They completely ignored the call for surrender (no votes for or against it other than my own). Everyone was just running around doing their own thing and getting wiped. Their deaths far outnumbered their kills, and it began to be very obvious that they weren’t taking the game very seriously.

If they found my departure distasteful then fine, they can report me. But I wont force myself to play with people who just don’t care.

Toxicity is a problem in many places, but we don’t want it here, which is why we are very active as a mod team, and discourage negative comments or discussion about other forum users.

I’d strongly recommend that people read the forum rules now, or I shall be forced to use the cute animal pictures.

1 Like

Are you referring to the polite discussion myself and precursor are having above?

Jeez I wish people would stop misusing the word toxic… I’d like to strongly recommend they go read a dictionary.

Yeah man, boom and I are cool. Just a little debate between us two, that’s all.

I’m making a general statement. But yes, it would apply to your conversation, as it’s beginning to get a little personal.

If you would read the rules, you’ll know what you should do if you have any future queries about moderation. Here’s a link:

Please use it. Ta.

Exactly.

Also I totally understand you leaving BTW and I’ve done that sort of thing myself in past games. I just think that if one can manage the fortitude to slog your way through it you do so…

And you know… without even asking I would be willing to bet that you have slogged your way through in this situation many time before.

Sometimes the mods here could do with chilling just a little bit. Let us have a duscussion.

Did you read the bit in the rules about how to deal with concerns about moderation?

Please do so.

1 Like

It’s not a language thing. You are 100% correct in your assessment. There is NO justification for hostility and/or ridicule in the name of fun!

1 Like

Interestingly, the guidelines for the ingame report function are pretty clear on this stuff.

I’ll find a link in a minute, but I’m all in favour of them.

Here:

“Help all other players have a fair and fun experience, even during competitive matches. Specifically, don’t go out of your way to give yourself unfair advantage. Also, do not go out of your way to insult or belittle teammates or opponents”

Seems pretty straightforward.

1 Like

The problem with your response is that I don’t play the game to please other people. I’d assume most people also arn’t playing the game to make sure that people on their team are kept happy and pleased. I play the game to please myself, as such when I have fun that is all that matters. So wasting others time is not really my concern, but theirs.

1 Like

I’m sorry but I have read this whole thread and I have to leave this here

2 Likes

Actually, it kinda IS. More a cultural thing than a language thing, but the two are so hand-in-hand when it comes to HOW we communicate, that it’s almost a moot point.

And knowing how to parse these things between friendly banter and actual hostility, it’s part of fluency.