New character advice

I’d like to ask everyone to help me decide on a new character. I’ve only played Zer0 the past couple years and have yet to master him solo on op8. But I kinda want to try playing a new character solo that includes being able to solo raids and is fun to play all around. SALVADOR IS A NO-GO! Lol I refuse to play him because it’d be too easy. I’m familiar with Kreig a bit because I use one as a mule and have played around with him a little. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated:)

FYI I play the Handsome collection on Xbox One

1 Like

I get the the bit about Sal, but there is always the Deputy build, which makes Sal require skill instead of just Unkempt Nozzling your way through each map. I have one of each at 72 and/or in the process of peaking, and the order I started them was Zer0, Axton, Gaige, Krieg, Salvador, and Maya. To be fair, all of them require a fair amount of adjustment, and had a learning curve before I got comfortable with each one. Some things I noticed on my way:

• The longest AS cooldowns are the pet classes (Axton and Gaige) and Krieg (until you get Release the Beast or get comfortable with self damage)
  • I thought Salvador would be easy and therefore felt like the game was smacking me around in the early stages.
  • Zer0 appealed to me the most, which was why I started with him, but probably required the most work to get decent with.
  • Maya was probably the most forgiving of my impatience and lack of finesse.
  • Krieg is probably the most fun you can have mobbing once you get Release the Beast and Bloodsplosion.
  • Gaige can either be easy to play or hard depending on how you build her.

TL;DR: there are no bad choices (even Sal :wink:), maybe the best way to decide would be to watch some game play videos and see what looks like the most fun for you. :grinning:

7 Likes

You’ll doubtless get responses advocating for pretty much all the characters. As a general rule, though, I’d suggest taking each one at least as far as Sanctuary in NVHM, then go with whichever one you enjoyed most. Axton and Maya were my first choices, but that’s me coming from a mix of HALO and playing mages in LotR games.

8 Likes

Coming from zero id suggest krieg because he’s the exact opposite, but can still be played with melee or guns.

My favorite is Axton
Maya is always a good option
I dislike gaige because of anarchy
Sal is really fun if you don’t constantly grog/Harold

6 Likes

Sal is only easy late game when you have all the right gear.

Leveling him up is much harder… Probably harder than most character.

9 Likes

Personally, at max level I have the most fun playing Gaige and Zer0. But, if you want to solo raids, your best bet is probably Axton, Sal, or Zer0.

3 Likes

Even though some builds and setups are super effective, they also tend to get pretty boring after a while. So, I propose that you play as Maya. The most versatile character in the game. She’s also the prettiest, btw! :wink:

Her COM’s and skills offer a wide range of playstyles. Sniping, Making enemies shot themselves, Crowd control, Healing friends, SMG mobbing or perhaps Trickstering with a nice shotgun or… You get the idea.

9 Likes

This ^ , Best advice of all.

Also doing it this way you can switch around toons for variety.

Which illustrates VaultHunter101’s Point of running one each to at least Sanctuary, get Bored switch around

6 Likes

Sal is fun if you take an experimental approach to him. Too many players use the same two guns for everything. Be creative and you might be surprised how much fun he is to play.

8 Likes

The other thing about Sal is, in NVHM, you can try pretty much anything. My latest Sal ran up the Brawn tree pretty much exclusively, which was an interesting change. He’s still mid-story in TVHM.

Actually, that’s true for all the characters - anything and everything pretty much works in NVHM, so you can really play around with the characters.

5 Likes

Melee Sal and sniper Krieg. We doin it big in 2018.

5 Likes

Gaige thinks that you and Brick probably liked Ginger better than Mary Ann.

5 Likes

I had to look those names up on the Echo Net to see who they were. It seems they were in some kind of entertainment show, but sadly, we didn’t get that show on Pandora, so I’ve never seen it.

But the one that really turns me on is Tannis. I often dress up like her ottoman and just position myself by the window in the living room. If only she was here! :star_struck:

7 Likes

Thread derailment is thataway -----> !!

8 Likes

7 Likes

You could just try the character1 that differs the most from your comfort zone or what you’re most experienced with.

I had a lot of fun with a sniperzerker specced in ammo regeneration, mag size, fire rate and reload speed (this isn’t a min-maxing approach in anyway).

Plus the Volcano as a top-sniper for bodyshots…

1Except for Gaige, she sounds really fvcking annoying.

9 Likes

Once again one-upped by the forum dad. What I said can totally be ignored if you follow this advice. It is definitely the distillation of what I said into its purest form.

8 Likes

:joy::joy: woah okay so all of them? Lol I know all the characters have their good points. I guess what I’m asking is what would be most fun next to being a Zer0 player. I mean I loved playing him so much that’s the only reason I’ve never even bothered with another toon.

1 Like

Reaction gif aside, my last NVHM Krieg got a couple of awesome parts sniper rifles that got him all the way to Sanctuary. Even sniped out Knuckledragger!

6 Likes

It takes a while to really enjoy a character, so it’s really hard to say what you would like most. The only solution I see to this issue is to do it in one of two ways. Either you make your own choice, or you let us choose for you.

If you decide to let us :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: choose, then the first suggestion after you agree to let us choose, is the one that you have to play.

6 Likes