New Forum Features Thread

Running into a script bug today while trying to edit an existing post. The site script keeps hanging. When I hit the “Debug” option, the Firefox console shows this line:

css: function( elem, name, extra, styles ) {
        var val, num, hooks,
            origName = jQuery.camelCase( name );

Just going to try this in a different browser…

Edit: Works in latest Firefox without issue, but 48.0.2 seems a little iffy. Not sure what’s going on here.

Edit2: Seem to have been having major latency problems earlier today over some, but not all, connections. That may have been the issue?

Edit3: Nope, same issue on a long post with lots of formatting, but this plain simple one seems to load and edit just fine.

@discourse: liking the new Insert date function, which is really slick, but there’s a slight bug if you use the LLL\T\Z option

May 21, 2018 5:30 AMAmerica: Los Angeles, May 21, 2018 1:30 PMEurope: London

Needs a space between the AM and the user time zone!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic Posts

The new forum absolutely kicks @$$, great job guys

Hey @VaultHunter101, I didn’t know where else to ask this and thought it better here than a PM.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to indent text and haven’t been able to find the code. Then I found something wierd : one of my own threads had indented text :man_facepalming:.
I went into it and found I had used this :

which results in this.

Is this info actually in the forum somewhere?

1 Like

Not explicitly that I remember, but I will double-check and add it in to the NEW FORUM BASICS thread if necessary; it’s certainly useful information!

Edit: OK, the information was in Sljm’s guide, so I just updated the OP in the Forum Basics thread (and fixed some references to defunct web sites and features).

1 Like

Ah the old & nbsp; thing. I used to use that in an old chatroom to comment blank spaces to confuse the others. Yes, I have no life :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone else finding it a pain in the ass tailfeathers to qoute people on mobile with the new menu-thingy that opens up when you swipe left? I don’t know, maybe it’s just on account of my big thumbs flippers, but I’M finding it to be a real pain in the ass tailfeathers…

Yes, I also recently learned how to strike things out, and am enjoying the hell out of using THAT feature, as a way of depicting my mental image slowly becoming more penguin and less human.

1 Like

How very kafkaesque. I wish you all the best Mr. Samsa.
Anyways, to answer : no not having any issues, perhaps opposable thumbs make all the difference.

1 Like

Oh, I see what you’re doing… You’re trying to get me to Google whatever the hell that word means; but you didn’t count on me being lazy now, did you! No, sir!

One of the other forumites helped me a short while after posting, so i’m all good now. Which is good, because this was a serious issue that warranted immediate attention.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to remove a user from a private message?
I have my list of people in the PM and this button :

All it seems to able to do is add, but not remove.

When you click on the Add or Remove button, you should see white boxes with a grey X in them appear beside the name of each user in the PM thread.

It doesn’t seem to. I thought it might be my browser with all of its blockers but I tried it in another browser and it still has no effect.

It could be blocked depending on your user level? Let me ping @GeekVersusNerd to see if he can offer any insight on this. If there is a problem that needs moderator assistance, send me a PM.

Edit: It looks like this for me:

52%20PM

1 Like

Hmm, could be user level. I’ll ask my minions and if there is work around circle back. As @VaultHunter101 said, if this is a need due to something that moderators should be aware of, please make sure to send Vault a private message.

1 Like

how can we view our user level? that’s interesting…

and on to why I came here. I want more likes. Why can’t this happen? Is it because of my “user level”?

does number of years as a member come into play? how many badges you’ve earned in that amount of time? I’d like to know how this is all calculated, if possible?

On your user card. I looked at it without being logged in to check it wasn’t just a moderator/admin thing.

I believe that plays a part - I think moderators get unlimited likes, I mean I’ve never hit the like cap but then again I never hit it even in my pre-moderator days.

2 Likes

Yeah - @Kurtdawg13 likes are fixed for each user level, but the intermediate level got disabled since it allowed non-moderators certain rights that could have been abused. (Plus, it had to be maintained through daily activity so it was a bit of a pain.)

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is…

2 Likes

Any progress on this?
It’s not vital to the PM in question, but it would be nice to know why it’s not working. If nothing else it’s a feature that “should” work.
Thanks.