New Information from MMORPG.com interview

Lots of interesting tidbits found in an interview Randy Varnell did with MMORPG.com.

Here is the interview: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1292/feature/10214/Battleborn-A-Mix-of-Genres-Ripe-for-MMO-and-RPG-Fans.html

Loot: “Battleborn does feature an extensive gear system, with thousands of procedurally-generated items or various abilities, rarities and strengths.”

Character Unlocking: “A bunch of characters are available at the start of the game, and the others are rapidly unlocked as you play through aspects of the game and complete some early challenges.”

Character Ranks: “Each of the 25 Battleborn has 15 Character ranks for you to achieve”

Technical Test: “You’ll be able to experience a mission from the co-op story mode, as well as play competitive multiplayer for the first time”

4 Likes

OHHHH SNAP!.. Most of the info had been at least speculated before, but CTT PVP info is fantastic news!!! (As long as we get into the CTT though:-))

I read that article too, got me wondering if I had missed the updates on the main site! Wonder how we’ll unlock the remaining characters. Find/rescue them in an early mission somehow maybe? And also, if they’re not unlocked at the beginning of the game, will they be unlocked initially for PvP?

If Orendi isn’t one of the characters unlocked from the start I might be slightly dissapointed.
Thanks for sharing!

Would be some pretty false advertising to have an already-revealed character not be available from the start though. That kind of decision would get so much backlash, so I doubt she won’t be available from the get go. Besides, how else could I update “The Framerate Killer” build? :stuck_out_tongue:

This has to be the most significant piece of news from the article. No one outside of GBX has gotten to play Battleborn’s PvP until now, and now thousands of lucky gamers will get that chance in 9 days. Even more excited for the 29th now!

Ive already decided if I get in, Im taking the next Friday off work to play BB all day.

1 Like

I disagree. Evolve had 3 tiers of characters at launch, and it took you like a day’s time to unlock everyone. Its not a new thing to have unlockable characters in a game. What would get backlash is if 10 of the 25 characters were paid DLC…that would start a shitstorm the likes of which we havent seen in ages.

3 Likes

Fairnuf. I’m not one that would personally backlash for either scenario, just making an assumption. I know unlockable characters have been around for a while, just not sure if there’s a difference between “secret” unlockable characters (i.e. not advertised pre-launch) and “known” unlockable characters (i.e. what Orendi would be if @0takuMetalhead’s fear were realized).

username starts with a 0, not an O.

I ment it as in needing to do challenges to unlock her. Why I said “slightly dissapointed”.

Oh I’m with you there, which is why I made the backlash statement. Darn those zeroes, was wondering why it wasn’t highlighting properly in the preview!

I sincerely appologise for my useage of ‘l33tsp34k’.

1 Like

I am hoping the challenges are pretty straight-forward. Like complete the campaign, play 5 PvP matches, build x number of turrets during a match, etc.

If it were something like “Get at least 10 kills against opponents in PvP and win the match”, that might suck for more casual players.

1 Like

No need for apologies, I only ever read these forums when I’m not supposed to, so attention to detail is severely lacking.

The rescuing of characters makes sense! For instance Mellka was shown (as what we thought) a NPC soon after the announcement. Maybe near the end of the mission, we rescue her and she helps us!

1 Like

Cue the speculation thread on how we rescue the remaining characters!!

Agreed on suckage, but that definitely sounds like a typical MP game Trophy/Achievement.

Thinking more about unlocking characters, this provides great opportunities to add more lore and personality to each of the characters. One problem with many MOBAs is there are so many characters but other than their looks and the few lines they speak during the game, there isn’t much lore/personality unless you search for it. And then in the case of League of Legends, they dropped all the lore at one point and claimed they were re-writing it with mixed results.

I have faith in Gearbox that they are doing the right thing with character unlocks to create a more engrossing experience.

1 Like

Another pure speculation: they haven’t updated the “Battleborn” page with the rest of the already announced Battleborn because the 10 there are the originals and we have to unlock the rest!

In hopes of not derailing this thread from talking about the updates from the interview, I posted this speculation on another thread closer to the topic at hand. See that here.

A speculation that does make sence in my book.

FTFY