New Matchmaking system: my opinion on it

Most people dont go on to the forums to say how much they like a change, but once a change goes up they dont like, one of the first things people do is go to the forums and rage about it.

I dont think I am in the minority here, otherwise they wouldnt have made the change, and stated they will not be reversing it.

This is just not true. You cant carry 5 noobs, no matter the gametype if the enemy isnt all 5 noobs. I find incursion would be easier to carry a team yourself, as there is only 1 lane. As OM, you can essential keep the lane pushed by yourself.

Also, the new system allows you to get put into a game with similar skill players, so you dont have to worry about carrying bad players. Before, there was no skill based mode, so you got stuck with bads every game. Not fun.

They have stated that they will not be reversing it?

They said they are experimenting with a few things and will adjust things as needed. If the experiment fails they will try something else.

5 Likes

I have to admit that I was taken aback at first by the inability to preselect play modes. After playing for a bit the new system has really grown on me. In the old system I was always frustrated when I found myself “across the board” from 5-Man Pre-made Competitive teams. (I am a “Filthy Casual”, and I love it) The incentives in Competitive mode seem to keep the worst of that away, and I have found a lovely variety of player skill levels since the update. This has vastly improved my playing experience. I like being insulated from the hard-core types. :slight_smile:

As far as those of us who like the system being in the minority: Statistically there is a much higher number of people who will voice complaint vs. those who will compliment things that they like, (those who want to debate the exact ration may do so…) so I feel that what we are seeing in this thread are about right. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Exactly. I’ve played 3 games in a row where in came down to player score. As great as that is, I miss games that I could go 20+ and zero deaths with ease and dominate, followed by a loss and then a close win, That’s the matchmaking I loved.

really? i have the exact opposite experience… it seems like all the premades are choosing to play casual

and when i try to q for “competitive” i sit in q for 15 minutes than just q as casual cuz it takes 2 long.

You’re right about the forums, but from everyone I’ve seen you are in the small few that supports this. I know personal anecdotals don’t support an argument all that well for showing a majority, but I’ve only seen about 2-3 people out of 10 or so I’ve played with that liked or was willing to give this change some time.

It is true though, I’ve done it before. Disagree as much as you want but I’ve won meltdown matches with 20+ kills and 100+ minion kills, along with less than 2 deaths. I’ve never done this in incursion. I can pull up screenshots if you really like. I’ve done so using Oscar Mike, Thorn, El Dragon, Benedict, and Ambra.

You must have a different view of fun then. Close down to the wire matches EVERY game is not fun. I had no problem playing with completely differing skill levels, and judging by my W/L before the update and after, I rarely had people with no skill on my team while now it’s completely different.

As someone who only ever plays Incursion, I think this is a good decision.

There’s only so many ways you can divide up the player base. I think the casual, serious, wildcard is the best way because this game sorely needs a division between srsbzns and IDGAF.

Played a couple casual matches today as El Dragon, made the 2 meltdowns and the 1 incursion end in surrender, playing with randoms against randoms.

Feels the same to me.

Then your team wasnt complete trash and put together some amount of help (even if it was small). What im saying is you cant carry a team of 4 other people who all go 0-20-2. Its pretty annoying to see a teammate run into a bunch of minions and die…repeatedly. Thats the only games i was put into with the last matchmaking change. After 10 or so games of the same thing I just said enough and quit playing.

Not every game is going to be like this, but most of them will be somewhat close score wise. If i wanted to go 30-0 I would go play against bots, but its no fun fighting against someone who doesnt fight back.

I’ve yet to even see someone have a death count in the 20s. That’s a COMPLETE exaggeration because I can guarantee you’ve been put into more games considering you say you had a w/l of about 70% like me. I’m not going to argue whether it’s possible when I’ve done it though.

Once again, exaggeration. Thats extremely rare, and I just enjoy having games that are quicker than full length. I’m not going to argue or answer anymore when your counter arguments are just exaggerations of the opposite of what I’m saying.

Hey guys I never post in any forums but I felt like I should express my concerns for the new update :slight_smile:

I really don’t like how we now have to vote for which mode we get to play, and I don’t enjoy how we now only have the three maps available, I preferred Coldsnap over Paradise, Echelon over Overgrowth, but for capture Outback was my favorite. Don’t get me wrong I like all the maps, but if given the choice I would choose those. I really enjoyed the variety (even if it was just two maps) IMO it kept the game changing and I didn’t have to look at the same BG each match.
The first time I queued up for a match on the competitive mode, everyone voted between capture and meltdown which was fine for me, I think I’m decent on all modes and able to perform well. My team either didn’t know how to play meltdown or just fed the other team because they wanted to do capture.

The second Competitive mode I played was Incursion, I had a person DC from our team after everyone selected their character, I chose Ambra for the match, and the match ended because we didn’t have enough players. I really didn’t mind because hey, anything could have happened, bad connection, emergency, etc. They got put onto our team again and we voted for incursion again. Everyone picked the same character once again, and the person who DC from us picked Ambra and began taunting. Now I have other characters that I can play as, but the fact that they left the team just so they could pick Ambra pissed me off. But hey, I just wasn’t fast enough :confused:

TL;DR: To me it seems like the voting for what mode is causing players to DC because they don’t like what mode was chosen. I enjoyed the choice of picking my game, and I would love to have it back. I never cared about queue times for my matches, the weekly fixes seemed to take care of that just fine for me, matchmaking was never really a problem.
Oh and i’m on PS4 (if that matters)

1 Like

Believe what you want, but when they switch off skill based matchmaking every single was like that for me. [quote=“mshldm1234, post:31, topic:1539434”]
I’m not going to argue or answer anymore when your counter arguments are just exaggerations of the opposite of what I’m saying.
[/quote]

Go ahead and stick you head in the sand then.

Me neither, but some people did have long queue times that’s why i said it.

He is impossible to discuss with he is hellbend on this being the best thing ever even though there’s a lot of displeasure with this system, maybe spotlight will make it less awfull though.

Just jumping in to remind everyone to talk about the game, not other users.

If some post hurts the Forum Rules , or seems to be of-topic or inappropriate simply flag the post. We take care of it.

20 minute queue times?

I just wanted to voice that I do appreciate the new system. At very high skill matchmaking it has made it faster and more competitive. I’m low guy on my team with a 70% win rate across a couple hundred matches so it’s fair to say we’re at the top of the ELO. I also do prefer to have a lot of close matches. You can’t tell how good you are with a character against bad players.

2 Likes

There were no 20 minute queue times unless you’re playing PC. So far, I have yet to notice a change in matchmaking time since the hot fix. I do notice that the games are move evenly skilled, but as I mentioned before I don’t like every game being close. I do however, despise playing Capture against premades while I’m solo when I want to play Meltdown/Incursion MUCH more.

Why would it be 20 mins? Before for me and incursion it was usually 1-5 mins, tops. And I solo q or with one friend.