New want to add new ship type

Hello I am brand new to the game this is day one for me. I have a few questions I would like to be able to add a new ship type Cutter. How would I go about doing that?

Also looking around the Internet I know is there’s a lot of mods. Is there a star wars va star trek mod?

And if you add a mod will it overwrite the basegame? Or will that Content from that mod be implemented to the base game?

1 Like

Do you want to create a new ship (model and texture) or just clone an existing ship?

If you want to create a new ship model and texture, have a look here:

If you want to clone an existing ship, you need to start by extracting the big file. This should get you on the right track:

2 Likes

Thank you You’re putting me on the right track. What if i take An existing Corvette and chage the ship type from corvette to cutter and make slightly faster?

1 Like

To change the speed, go to the ship file and change the max speed parameter.

I have not done ship classes before, so someone else will have to answer that. @Pouk @eatthepath ?

2 Likes

Oh right, it’s been a while since I looked into that. To make a new ship class, you need to edit entries in several places.

The obvious:

scripts\familylist.lua

You need to add a new “unitcapsFamily” in there. Later maybe even build and display family, if you want to separate which subsystem can build these new ships and if you want to create a whole new build tab for them. But for the start the unitcapsFamily will do.

Then the unitcaps in so many places:
scripts\rules\deathmatch\unitcaps

scripts\races\vaygr\deathmatch\unitcaps

Then in the ship itself:

setSupplyValue(NewShipType, “Corvette”, 4.0)

And I may be missing some other entries…

2 Likes